Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned to my car yesterday after it had been parked for a few hours to get a 'bonnet open' warning as i moved off, which was of course the frunk which had popped open. My car is from ONTO so I don't have a key fob and as it is a 2019 120Ah it has no switches for it in the car only the mechanical release. Its probably a month since I last opened the frunk. Any ideas what might have caused it to open?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
You didn't happen to maybe touch the feature button in the ONTO app? That's linked to the frunk in most i3's as far as I know. It may even be worth asking ONTO To check. Their access equipment will likely keep a log of commands it has processed so they will probably be able to tell you when and how it was opened, if the command was sent through their app.

As long as you definitely closed it properly the last time it was opened, I don't think there is any reason why it would be open now. I haven't personally experienced this happening, nor have I even heard about it before either.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that's interesting to know. I went out and tried it the feature button makes soemthing go click but the frunk doesnt open.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,663 Posts
Now that's interesting to know. I went out and tried it the feature button makes soemthing go click but the frunk doesnt open.
You often have to repeatedly mash the button multiple times to get it to work. If you haven't noticed by now, their app isn't the best designed thing in the world.

Of course, the one time you didn't intend to do anything, a single accidental press was probably all it took to release it without you noticing!

It was the same with the Zoe's I have had from them. Every single car I have had from them has had a different, totally undocumented function linked to the feature button (Chrarge flap/Cable unlock, Flash headlights, or open boot), and they generally all took multiple presses to make them work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK solved and thread closed, a quick bit of experimenting showed that this is a hidden feature of the ONTO app, three or four presses usually and it pops the frunk. Rather useful actually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts