Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear forum users,

I have come to a crossroad which has deterred my decision-making ability on which Zoe to pick as my very first car. I am hoping you guys would pour in valuable opinions and advice in getting me out of this dire situation.

Which Zoe would you prefer out of the following two and why?

I am looking to own a Zoe for the next 3-4 years before upgrading/switching to another EV. I estimate my annual mileage to be around 4000 miles.

Zoe 1:
  • May 2015 registration
  • 23 kWh Q210 Dynamique Intens
  • Battery-owned model
  • 23,272 miles on the clock
  • Renault extended warranty has expired and a third-party counterpart is needed
  • Flawless interior and exterior (looks like brand new)
  • No previous issues
  • BMS updated
  • £8200 as selling price

Zoe 2:
  • May 2015 registration
  • 23 kWh Q210 Dynamique Intens
  • Battery-lease model
  • 18,200 miles on the clock
  • Renault extended warranty to expire in May 2020 (renewable following this)
  • Spectacular interior and exterior (no damage/dents/scratches noted)
  • No previous issue
  • BMS and android auto updated
  • £6200 as selling price

Let me know what you think and it would be of great help in choosing a Zoe. Thanks a bunch.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,638 Posts
For me it would all be about the warranty. I know a few on here have done over 50k in their Zoe with no issues. But if you end up with one that has issues it could be very expensive. A battery owned one for only £2000 extra is very tempting but has no warranty. If you can get a third party warranty that definitely covers everything including the battery, and is not more expensive than Renault’s, I’d go for No1. Otherwise No2 will give you more peace of mind. Ultimately your decision as it depends on your priorities and appetite for risk.

Reactions: TJEV and cah197

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,742 Posts
Sometimes i Zoes don’t have the rear i badge. My previous 2016 R240 Dyn Nav didn’t.

Anyway, personally I’d go for option 2, for the warranty on both car (via Renault extension) and battery (via lease).

Go for the £49 a month rental.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As someone looking for a cheap battery owned get that, it's better value as the resale is better later on especially if you are selling.

As you do low mileage battery owned you should get a better return.

Where is it for sale. my searches return very expensive ones.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would be highly dubious about Zoe 1 being battery owned as the price is too low. If it is battery owned there should be an i on the back ze logo on the car. Its more likely to be an overpriced mis-described Zoe.
Yes, it does look cheap to me. If you are interested then I'd check with RCI (Renault Finance) that it's battery owned - give them the reg and VIN if possible. If it were me I'd go for option 2 as the warranty is more important and over 3 to 4 years there won't be much in it financially (and battery lease includes breakdown cover)

·
Premium Member
11,657 Posts
As my example shows below, the Autotrader valuation tool does identify battery lease Zoe, so put the reg and mileage in and it will give you a better idea if car 1 really is battery owned.

A 3rd party warranty on a Zoe will either be expensive or not cover the important stuff - like the HV battery! Personally I would only look at a used Zoe with the factory warranty or the Renault extended policy in place.

Driving 4K miles a year I would get a battery lease car to get warranty on that too. Prices on battery owned 22kWh may not stay so strong once they have no battery warranty - especially if they start to see significant degradation.

Good luck!

Text Motor vehicle Font Vehicle Car
%

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I was in a similar situation last year and in the end...I went with neither...!

I wanted a battery owned version, and I wanted a longer warranty on the battery, so that meant I had to go for a 41kWh version. The additional range and (IMO) nicer interior with the black dash made the additional premium worth it for me. I also figured that in terms of cost of ownership, a used, battery-owned 41kWh could possible work out cheaper over 3/4yrs.

Appreciate that doesn't really help...its really a tricky one, as the battery owned relieves you of the pain of a battery lease, whereas the lack of warranty on the car, and only 1yr on the battery leaves an element of risk. If you take a good case scenario where the battery owned still commands a £2k premium over the battery leased (I think prices on old Leaf's looking at Flex vs non-Flex shows this is likely), then you would save the £1,764 in lease payments over 36months, but this could get reduced with out of warranty repairs...

I would be less worried about the battery being out of warranty, but not so sure with the car warranty. I think if it still had the Renault Warranty that you could extend, then the battery owned would be a good choice, but without it I am not so sure...

Tricky one! If I had to make the choice between the two, I would probably go with the battery owned and just stick the £49 to use towards any repairs.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,604 Posts
If you can get a GOOD third party warranty (try RAC, I heard they do one?) then A
Otherwise B

Owning a Zoe without a warranty is asking for trouble IMO. It may be completely trouble free as the vast majority of the Q210s seem to be (as always, just based on 'feeling' via the forum), but a fault can cost so much through main dealers that it writes it off (alternatively if you have a HEVRA garage somewhere nearby, that might reduce costs a fair bit in the event of a problem)

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For me it would all be about the warranty. I know a few on here have done over 50k in their Zoe with no issues. But if you end up with one that has issues it could be very expensive. A battery owned one for only £2000 extra is very tempting but has no warranty. If you can get a third party warranty that definitely covers everything including the battery, and is not more expensive than Renault’s, I’d go for No1. Otherwise No2 will give you more peace of mind. Ultimately your decision as it depends on your priorities and appetite for risk.
Warranty, as best as it can offer, is not really something that I prioritise after all. Some EV users might have the paranoid of paying tremendous amount to cover the cost of service/repair, and hence a valid warranty is the way forward. As for me, I think I will put myself onto a gamble because a 4-year-old car wouldn't pop up many issues unless I am very, very unfortunate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was in a similar situation last year and in the end...I went with neither...!

I wanted a battery owned version, and I wanted a longer warranty on the battery, so that meant I had to go for a 41kWh version. The additional range and (IMO) nicer interior with the black dash made the additional premium worth it for me. I also figured that in terms of cost of ownership, a used, battery-owned 41kWh could possible work out cheaper over 3/4yrs.

Appreciate that doesn't really help...its really a tricky one, as the battery owned relieves you of the pain of a battery lease, whereas the lack of warranty on the car, and only 1yr on the battery leaves an element of risk. If you take a good case scenario where the battery owned still commands a £2k premium over the battery leased (I think prices on old Leaf's looking at Flex vs non-Flex shows this is likely), then you would save the £1,764 in lease payments over 36months, but this could get reduced with out of warranty repairs...

I would be less worried about the battery being out of warranty, but not so sure with the car warranty. I think if it still had the Renault Warranty that you could extend, then the battery owned would be a good choice, but without it I am not so sure...

Tricky one! If I had to make the choice between the two, I would probably go with the battery owned and just stick the £49 to use towards any repairs.
I think Renault provides a guarantee of at least 66% battery SOH over 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Since Zoe 1 is only 4 years old, it still have plenty of years to go in terms of battery warranty.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think Renault provides a guarantee of at least 66% battery SOH over 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Since Zoe 1 is only 4 years old, it still have plenty of years to go in terms of battery warranty.
Unfortunately not...

On a 22kWh i-Zoe (ZE20) you get a 5yr/60,000 mile warranty on the battery, with the capacity guaranteed at 70% during this period:

This was increased with the 41kWh i-Zoe (ZE40) up to 8yrs/100,000 miles warranty on the battery, with the capacity guaranteed at 66% during this period:

·
Premium Member
11,657 Posts
Warranty, as best as it can offer, is not really something that I prioritise after all. Some EV users might have the paranoid of paying tremendous amount to cover the cost of service/repair, and hence a valid warranty is the way forward. As for me, I think I will put myself onto a gamble because a 4-year-old car wouldn't pop up many issues unless I am very, very unfortunate.
You know we are talking about a RENAULT Zoe? It isn't made by Toyota or Honda :LOL: You really don't have to be that unlucky for something to go wrong with a 2015 Zoe and there are only main dealers who can investigate faults at huge labour rates. That will hopefully change but it may take a while.

Even something as "simple" as an aircon fault isn't actually simple because the compressor is totally different to an ICE. And don't think "I will live without AC" because it is needed to cool battery while charging :oops:

Reactions: E7EV

·
Zoe Devotee
9,391 Posts
Buy mine. £7500 ono, battery lease Q210, but with fully extended Renault warranty (just paid for cover to sept 2020). Let me know if you want more details.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,638 Posts
Buy mine. £7500 ono, battery lease Q210, but with fully extended Renault warranty (just paid for cover to sept 2020). Let me know if you want more details.
And what would you replace her with if he took you up on your offer? When it came down to it I’m not sure you would be able to part with her, especially now you’ve realised she’s not only worth peanuts ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts