Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q1 Which cars come with this feature as standard

Q2 Which cars can be easily modified to achieve this

Q3 Do we all agree that getting a cable out from underneath luggage is a faff and that BEVs by standard should have cable storage "upfront"

·
Registered
476 Posts
It depends on what you carry in your car. For example, if you are the only occupant then you have numerous options for the cable - boot, footwell, front passenger seat. As a light hearted comment, you could always even have a small roof box for your cables. But of course some cars also have under-bonnet storage. Teslas and Polestar 2.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Couldn't give a hoot to be brutally honest, if there was storage that was easily accessible I would probably use it, if not I would find somewhere else to put the cable, after all, its not a bulky item.
I agree Its a "faff" to get it out from underneath luggage, that's why if I am carrying luggage I take the cable out prior to loading luggage and replace it above luggage before departing, 15 seconds tops, less "faff" than unloading and extracting from below luggage.
AFAIK all cars come with this feature, mines called a boot. (that the space that's accessible when I open my tailgate) :cool:

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,606 Posts
I agree with most of the comments above, but to indulge the OP:
  • Tesla and Polestar 2 as Standard ;
  • Kia/Hyundai have enough space and frunk can be added with unknown impact. There is a custom made frunk sold online Kia Soul
  • Never needed to do that, with a little bit of planning (assuming I'm leaving on a long trip);

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Mine sits in a circular fake-canvas zip-bag, so just gets slung on top of all the other luggage. No probs.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Depends on your use pattern.
If the car was full of stuff I'd be going places and DC charging.

I've only used my type 2 cable twice - both times just to see if the system worked.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
841 Posts
There's a compartment under the bonnet on the E-Tron and I keep my charging cables in there. It's a bit more convenient than keeping it in the boot, but opening the bonnet when it's wet can be mildly unpleasant.

·
Registered
722 Posts
In my i3 (small) frunk I keep - granny lead, type 2 cable, 10m extension lead and a commando plug adaptor. It also has the emergency puncture kit.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
In my i3 (small) frunk I keep - granny lead, type 2 cable, 10m extension lead and a commando plug adaptor. It also has the emergency puncture kit.
Spooky... Mine is identically equipped. Is your type 2 three-phase?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Spooky... Mine is identically equipped. Is your type 2 three-phase?
Single phase. I have no need for three phase charging and the dealer only offered single phase with the car. The commando adaptor is there in case I want to charge at a golf club and the extension lead is for the granny should I ever get stuck.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
Single phase. I have no need for three phase charging and the dealer only offered single phase with the car. The commando adaptor is there in case I want to charge at a golf club and the extension lead is for the granny should I ever get stuck.
Ah, I got them to give me a three phase with the car, which sits in there. Several local shopping centres offer 11kw.. I have a separate, lighter, 7kw cable inside the door at home for everyday. It's a bit of a squeeze in the frunk for all that stuff ain't it?

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
464 Posts
One day the cable might be permanently plugged into the engine and fed out (possibly motorised) of a retractable hole under the bonnet, ie tethered to the car... Until then I don't want my cable in the boot or anywhere else. It should be as close to the charging point as possible. I have posted elsewhere on this forum a complete frunk design for the kona.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's the only part of my Ioniq that visually displeases; under the bonnet! Why does it look so much like an ICE?!? :eek:
If only the brilliant Hyundai engineers and designers could have fashioned a fully moulded cover, with a reasonably capacious depression in it for storage.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One day the cable might be permanently plugged into the engine and fed out (possibly motorised) of a retractable hole under the bonnet, ie tethered to the car... Until then I don't want my cable in the boot or anywhere else. It should be as close to the charging point as possible. I have posted elsewhere on this forum a complete frunk design for the kona.
Nice😁

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I guess it depends on how often you public charge I guess ?.
I rarely use my type 2 cable to be totally honest.
It is coiled around the spare wheel under the boot floor cover.
I hate seeing charging cables littering the boot of an EV.
I had a circular bag to keep the cable in my last PHEV.
The cable would live in the bag and then was clipped to a hook provided on the wheel well inside of the boot.
I guess if you are charging every single day, it can become a bit of a chore keeping the cables tidy.
Then yes, cable storage in the frunk can be quick and easy.
Somebody else has expressed the same concern that I have about opening the bonnet in high wind conditions though.
Many of these bonnets are made of light weight Ali today, if a strong gust of wind gets under the bonnet while you are raising it - look out !.
Could end up being a very expensive charging stop.
Bit of a ball ache getting the cable out of the frunk first, then going to the rear of the car to plug it in.
It’s as short as it’s long really !.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts