Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not own an EV but making future provision for installation of home charger. I am in process of laying. Concrete drive. Thought it good idea to run underground cable duct with draw wire to suitable location for future charge point. My question what inside diameter of underground trunking should I install?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,521 Posts
inch & a quarter or inch & a half waste pipe, would be fine for the relevant SWA cable and a Cat5/6 lan cable.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
inch & a quarter or inch & a half waste pipe, would be fine for the relevant SWA cable and a Cat5/6 lan cable.
I do not own an EV but making future provision for installation of home charger. I am in process of laying. Concrete drive. Thought it good idea to run underground cable duct with draw wire to suitable location for future charge point. My question what inside diameter of underground trunking should I install?
What length of duct and how many turns including getting from surface to depth and reverse at the other end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What length of duct and how many turns including getting from surface to depth and reverse at the other end.
Length about 5 metres straight with both ends finishing say out ground about 200mm. Depth about 400mm

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,521 Posts
A 10mm amoured cable would be fun to draw through 5 metres of inch & a quarter pipe. If it was me I'd just buy the cable now and lay it to the required depth
Not if you use plenty of lube (fairy liquid) but I agree, simpler to lay the SWA and Cat 6 during the works.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,521 Posts
From a recent thread. Combined SWA mains and data cable:

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a slight issue with laying a non replaceable cable in that some electricians might not work with it as they can't be sure it is laid to appropriate depth, with warning tape above etc and they can't check the condition of the cable. Also if you did have a problem with the cable even twenty years in the future your going to have to dig a channel across the drive.

I laid 54mm ducting (or about that size) under my drive. You get ducting specifically for this purpose with a draw wire already inside, might be worth putting an extra one in before you bury it although if it's pretty straight it shouldnt be too difficult to get a failry solid cable like 6mm tough cable through it especially if you lubricate the cable.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Get a Sparky on board before you start the job, then you can have the cable installed and commissioned correctly to a 32A socket. When you get the car you could either keep this socket and use an OHME or replace the socket with a tethered unit.

The interlocked commando socket (with down facing socket) is about £40 on amazon.
32A Interlocked Commando Socket.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Electrical wholesalers sell a twined wall 63mm flexible ducting which is 50mm internal. This will enable you curve it gently up to the surface, which is what you will need if pulling in swa cable. I'm not sure if you can buy it by the metre though. Alternatively, if the above cost was prohibitive and you will always have access to both ends by say a flower boarder or by creating inspection pit(s) thereby creating a straight pull, you could get away with some sort of waste water pipe. Glue the coupling and obviously don't try to put any elbows or bend connectors in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Electrical wholesalers sell a twined wall 63mm flexible ducting which is 50mm internal. This will enable you curve it gently up to the surface, which is what you will need if pulling in swa cable. I'm not sure if you can buy it by the metre though. Alternatively, if the above cost was prohibitive and you will always have access to both ends by say a flower boarder or by creating inspection pit(s) thereby creating a straight pull, you could get away with some sort of waste water pipe. Glue the coupling and obviously don't try to put any elbows or bend connectors in it.
I agree with this reply. As no cable will be installed at present. It looks like power cable with a data pair of wires is now becoming standard. I had a look round at outside diameter of these cables seems to be about 15mm to 18mm. Which makes 50.mm ducting wee bit tight. Think a 60 to 75mm tube with sloping to underground. No sharp right angles. seems about right. Think if look at ebay for heavy duty cable duct someone will supply cut to length.. It does seem that to date there is not a building standard for EV duct size. I think there should be. With new build housing installing ducting under drive where needed without installing cable. Also provisions space allowance in the new house power consumer unit should now be a standard. Within 10 years all new home owners will expect this. So why not now, government?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts