Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I eagerly awaited the launch (which was awful) did they even rehearse? Because it looked so disjointed.

I found out from VW website that the 1st does not even come with active cruise, keyless entry/start and you even have to pay for rear speakers, if the website is anything to go by. I don't think the car (from what I've seen) is special enough, which is a shame. Guess I will keep the GTE for another year then go for a different BEV altogether as there will be more choice available to me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I eagerly awaited the launch (which was awful) did they even rehearse? Because it looked so disjointed.

I found out from VW website that the 1st does not even come with active cruise, keyless entry/start and you even have to pay for rear speakers, if the website is anything to go by. I don't think the car (from what I've seen) is special enough, which is a shame. Guess I will keep the GTE for another year then go for a different BEV altogether as there will be more choice available to me.
Same opinion, will also likley be keeping my GTE for at least another year.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Spent this evening looking at the YouTube videos. Firstly, disappointed that the car does not exactly resemble the concept. The rear lights are different and the front lower grille has a cheap looking unpainted lower black panel. I am also not liking the raised black top panel on top of the bonnet. Other than that I like it !.

Where there is a tad of disappointment for me is with the interior. Clearly for VW to sell this car to the masses the build cost has to be tightly controlled, and my view is the dash is where the money has been saved. The sizes of both instrument consoles look way too small, I understand the main one is 10 inches. There looks to be plenty of space to have a much bigger central display ( a la Tesla Model 3 ) but clearly cost might be a factor here.

What I do like are the interior colours, particularly the white car with the light cream and orange dash. I also love the 20 inch wheel design, suits the proportions of the car very nicely. So overall just a tad underwhelmed.Will get a chance to view the car when I visit the Frankfurt show on Friday. As ever with any new car, price is king. If VW can price this starting from mid 25k then they are on to a winner. If prices reach 35-40k then that is Tesla Model 3 territory.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I too was underwhelmed, not really disappointed that I cancelled my pre-order now, part of me was very hesitant to move to a Model 3.
I think the pricing will be key for most people....
I’m now guessing it’s not going to be loaded with as options as standard, so this will push prices up for some.
My guess is as follows:-
Standard Battery £29000
Medium Battery £34000
Large Battery £39000

The iD3 1st Edition around £34-36k

·
Registered
143 Posts
The ID3 1st Plus (which is the one coming to the uk) has Adaptive cruise and keyless entry as well as matrix LED lights.
This is from the Media Release

The ID.3 1st Plus additionally features a rear view camera system, ACC Adaptive Cruise Control and the Kessy Advanced keyless access locking and starting system. The vehicle interior of the ID.3 1st Plus also includes design seats, a centre console with two USB-C connections and ambient lighting. Forming part of the exterior equipment scope are tinted windows, the exterior Style package in silver, matrix LED headlights, matrix side lights, brake lights, turn indicators and tail light clusters as well as 19-inch light-alloy wheels.

I am holding fire till I know more about price and performance before making a decision.

"

·
Registered
503 Posts
The ID3 1st Plus (which is the one coming to the uk) has Adaptive cruise and keyless entry as well as matrix LED lights.
This is from the Media Release

The ID.3 1st Plus additionally features a rear view camera system, ACC Adaptive Cruise Control and the Kessy Advanced keyless access locking and starting system. The vehicle interior of the ID.3 1st Plus also includes design seats, a centre console with two USB-C connections and ambient lighting. Forming part of the exterior equipment scope are tinted windows, the exterior Style package in silver, matrix LED headlights, matrix side lights, brake lights, turn indicators and tail light clusters as well as 19-inch light-alloy wheels.

I am holding fire till I know more about price and performance before making a decision.

"
No AR HuD or Pano-roof :(
I think your right though, price and performance will be a key deciding factor for some.
If its £35k or more, then the Model 3 SR+ is worth considering, but its not for everybody.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Who came up with this "Tesla territory"? I don't think there is anything like it and don't really understand why people keep bringing it up. Why don't you call it Kona or e-Niro territory? These are definitely better cars in the same price range....If you want to buy a Tesla, good luck, but please get out. Rant over.

I think the car looks nice. The white interior is not really practical, so I would probably go for the dark one. There is a video of the black interior, and that looks really nice.

The big question mark, as everyone knows is the price. My expectation for the 1st Edition is that it will cost around £37k (after PICG). And that is still going to be a "no deal" from me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Who came up with this "Tesla territory"? I don't think there is anything like it and don't really understand why people keep bringing it up. Why don't you call it Kona or e-Niro territory? These are definitely better cars in the same price range....If you want to buy a Tesla, good luck, but please get out. Rant over.

I think the car looks nice. The white interior is not really practical, so I would probably go for the dark one. There is a video of the black interior, and that looks really nice.

The big question mark, as everyone knows is the price. My expectation for the 1st Edition is that it will cost around £37k (after PICG). And that is still going to be a "no deal" from me.
Agree. The Tesla model 3 in its base form which most people will get.because not everyone can afford 45k is a shit car lacking lots of features.
I was disappointed with the launch and the UK website for the id.3 and especially that there's no real specs on there. I thought prices were meant to be revealed too.
The car looks cheap and having to pay for rear speakers? What is this? A Dacia or something.
And the back looks so bland. VW really had the chance I think and have brought out another bland golf

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the same boat. The price is all important now, otherwise those e-golf lease and 0% apr deals will be my fall back. Will possibly just have to accept range at a reasonable price is still a few years away from being feasible.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
It wasn't a good presentation for a major car launch, didn't look special at all.
Maybe it would have flowed better if I could have watched it in German, and understood it?
I was disappointed with the lack of information, was expecting much more, but that's a good thing as the 1st edition or new mid range ID will probably be too expensive for my current needs. Maybe there will be some good secondhand ones on the market when I want to replace the e-Golf. A step up to a 58 kWh battery will be a great improvement and would suit or range needs at the moment very well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Following my initial post I have just cancelled my reservation. I am not doing as many long journeys anymore so my GTE covers 80% of my journeys in EV mode.

Will look again in a year's time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Following my initial post I have just cancelled my reservation. I am not doing as many long journeys anymore so my GTE covers 80% of my journeys in EV mode.

Will look again in a year's time.
How do you cancel reservation? I got an initial email with a confirmation code but I didn't spot a number/email contact.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Maybe they were aiming for people to be underwhelmed so they don't get lots of disappointment with a large order backlog. Then when people see the car in reallife the number of orders to increase.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Blimey, some people want the moon on a stick for tuppence ha'penny.

It's a VW. That means a mark up 'cos it's premium, plus the usual costs of anything above base level as per any VW product (again, "premium"). Add in the fact it's an EV and if course you're getting even less bang for your buck.

On a personal note, I couldn't give a flying flamingo about the lack of a panoramic roof. I have never cared for sunroofs, we had one on the ix35 and opened it twice in four years.

·
Registered
258 Posts

It's a VW. That means a mark up 'cos it's premium, plus the usual costs of anything above base level as per any VW product (again, "premium"). Add in the fact it's an EV and if course you're getting even less bang for your buck.

On a personal note, I couldn't give a flying flamingo about the lack of a panoramic roof. I have never cared for sunroofs, we had one on the ix35 and opened it twice in four years.
The insides don't look Premium to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Since when was the 'peoples car' brand supposed to be 'premium'? They keep going on about this at every press release, how they brought 'movement to the masses' with the Beetle, and blah blah blah.
To be fair if you compare the car in the light of what the Beetle was supposed to represent, the ID.3 is over equipped, so yeah it's not going to be the new 'peoples car'. Maybe VW should rebrand again? VW -> MKW (mittleklassewagon)? (My German sucks).

·
Registered
471 Posts

“Premium”? Not in its homeland it’s not. Audi’s VAG’s premium brand. VW is perceived there (and in this house) as being volume with a larger than average, not entirely justified price tag.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts