Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
UK buyers have been indoctrinated by (advert funded) media like Whatcar to believe VW is "premium" but that is neither reality nor their position within the VW Group. Below is quote from Christine Leuderalbert, ID 3 product manager

When will VW introduce wireless charging for its EVs?

“Not on this ID 3, but we are looking at much less than 10 years. VW is not a premium brand. The preparation [for wireless charging] in a garage is very expensive today. This might be why premium brands are further along the line [than us] but we are talking about it.”

·
Super Moderator
10,862 Posts
The Tesla model 3 in its base form which most people will get.because not everyone can afford 45k is a s--t car lacking lots of features.
Yes, but how do you really feel about it :)

Have you looked at the M3? Debbie has ridden in one and really like it. (but it wasn't the base model...)

SR+ looks decent on paper but I haven't seen one. -- yet -- Standard Range+ is not the base model and lists for £37,340 on the road. You get power seats, upgraded audio, and a good chunk of the premium interior. The base car is available off menu as a special order in the US. I don't know if Tesla are selling the base car in the UK yet.

Might try and get a test drive on our next trip to the US.

·
Super Moderator
10,862 Posts
Anyone else notice the similarities to the i3?

The gear selector is straight out of the i3. The interior styling feels a lot like the i3 without the wood. Maybe I'm more sensitive to this because I've been living with an i3 for awhile.

TBH, I quite like the id.3. I predict VW will sell some, especially in Europe. Overall they aren't going to be able to keep up with the Model 3.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Crikey, why isn't the Tesla love over in the Tesla forum? I think the M3 is horrific to look at, and reminds me of the Japanese bullet train and its daft platypus face. I'd be happy to replace my GTE with a ID3 next September when my lease ends provided I can get the 20'' wheels as the 18's and 19's look like they've come off a roller skate.

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Yes, the gear selector looks heavily influenced by the i3, and I liked it when I had one.

In fact, the i3 interior was what attracted me to the i3 in the first place, even before the EV bits (and the Rex).

Ultimately, I never really reconciled with the way the i3 looked externally, and this is where the ID.3 scores better for me and my preferences.

I’m sure VW will sell a boat load of them.

I quite enjoyed the low key launch streaming, I find the Apple/Tesla launches a little cringeworthy if I’m honest, but then I’m not a millennial so probably not even aimed at me!

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
Tell that to the person setting their prices. I'm paying less for my i3s than I would have for a lower spec eGolf.
I’m pretty confident I paid less for my e-Golf than I would have to have spent on an i3s...

Everybody’s purchase will be different, but well done on getting a deal.

One of the attractions of the VW brand for me, and the Golf in particular, is that it’s very hard to place on the ‘brand ladder’.

All sorts of people from all walks of life drive them, possibly a truly classless motor vehicle.

·
Registered
651 Posts
What I absolutely hated about the haphazard launch stream, was over half of it was wobbling on about their new corporate logo.
In long shots, you could literally see journalists wandering off to the bar!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think the presentation went wrong did it not? At the beginning of the main presentation, after the video of the ID3 the curtains I think were to drop and reveal the stage to show off the ID3.

Only 1 part of the curtain dropped so they quickly had to make up something (or presumably resort to plan B: time wasting) which is when they rambled on about the logo etc. Then they showed off the old (literally, old) concept cars again etc etc until they finally got the ID3 round to that stage instead.

I suspect had it gone to plan it might have been a bit more dramatic and certainly more concise.

If it didn't go wrong and I misunderstood all their references to curtains dropping then it was just a rather dull and bizarrely arranged presentation!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Crikey, why isn't the Tesla love over in the Tesla forum? I think the M3 is horrific to look at,
Interesting comment and clearly demonstrates differences in personal preferences. For me as a Day 1 reservation holder for an ID.3 I waited until the reveal last night to decide on an ID.3 1st (middle of the range) or a Model 3 SR+. Both have just about the same range and charging speed. And are similar size inside the cabin (yes I haven't seen an ID.3 in real yet but I have sat in a couple of M3s and driven a couple of Passatts).

I currently have an e-Golf and am very pleased with it. However, whilst I can manage without I would LIKE an EV with a bigger boot, longer range and, ideally, access to a better charging network than 50k. Ionity and other charger networks are a couple of years away from this, in my opinion (I live in Scotland but travel to the south of England a few times each year). I compared the M3 with the offering from VW available to me mid-2020, as I understood it and guessed that the price, based on comments from VW, will likely be within a few thousand of the M3. My personal preference means that I came down on the side of the M3.

I consider my comment about Tesla relevant here. But then I am not bashing VW!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I expect after the 1st year few people will pay list price for the ID.3 due to deposit contributions etc, but nearly everyone will pay list price for the Model 3.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Since when was the 'peoples car' brand supposed to be 'premium'? They keep going on about this at every press release, how they brought 'movement to the masses' with the Beetle, and blah blah blah.
To be fair if you compare the car in the light of what the Beetle was supposed to represent, the ID.3 is over equipped, so yeah it's not going to be the new 'peoples car'. Maybe VW should rebrand again? VW -> MKW (mittleklassewagon)? (My German sucks).
Certainly the 1st Edition ID3 is overequipped to be a 'people's car'. That's why I look forward to the base model without the toys that I am not happy paying for.

On the other hand there is clearly a big market for a fully loaded version . No reason why you can't have both at opposite ends of the model range, just like everyone does with ICEs.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts