Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to park my car overnight with the mirrors folded in otherwise I can't get it in and out of my garage.

Yesterday, the mirrors wouldn't fold out, so I couldn't drive the car. I tried everything I could think of, and even leaving the car for hours to "reset" didn't work.

It's fine this morning, but this was highly inconvenient and totally pathetic from a 8 week old vehicle.

It's another reason I regret choosing the ID.3

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I never thought of that! :rolleyes:

I read the f'n manual and decided not to damage the vehicle: "Do not fold electrically folding exterior mirrors in or out manually as this can damage the electric motor."

·
Registered
33 Posts
that's weird as all the cars i've had previously with auto folding has also had the manual folding option for the unexpected mirror bump. I guess it'a nother "cost saving" idea from VW

·
Registered
92 Posts
I never thought of that! :rolleyes:

I read the f'n manual and decided not to damage the vehicle: "Do not fold electrically folding exterior mirrors in or out manually as this can damage the electric motor."

Wrench them open, then warranty. "Don't know guv, just stopped working"

Whilst sleeping easy that the f'ing things should have always worked on such a premium brand with a premium price point.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not my way of doing things, but each to their own. My car is seriously deficient. I'm not going to knacker it on purpose and lie about it.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Possibly a stupid suggestion - does the ID3 have a button/knob for manually folding the mirrors? My dad's old car sometimes wouldn't unfold the mirrors automatically, but it also had a button to do it on demand and whacking it a few times usually did the trick.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not my way of doing things, but each to their own. My car is seriously deficient. I'm not going to knacker it on purpose and lie about it.
To be clear, I’m not suggesting knackering it on purpose. More doing what needs to be done to make the car usable, if only to get it to the dealer.

In this instance I wouldn’t even bother lying, I’d just balls out tell them what needed to be done so I could use the thing.

I once had to wrench open a door on a brand new 3 series. BMW were disappointed but they understood that I wasn’t going to leave my mum stuck in the car.

But for your scenario, anything you need to do to make use of the car would be consciously clear in my opinion.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Possibly a stupid suggestion - does the ID3 have a button/knob for manually folding the mirrors? My dad's old car sometimes wouldn't unfold the mirrors automatically, but it also had a button to do it on demand and whacking it a few times usually did the trick.
The driver's door rotary control has a position (chosen manually) that should cause them to fold in (electrically). That's the nearest thing to manual control I've seen.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
625 Posts
f'ing things should have always worked on such a premium brand with a premium price point.
Im hazarding a guess you’ve never had a BMW!😉

The only thing less reliable than an “ultimate driving machine” is an Alfa Romeo! 🤣

VWAG have quite an illustrious history of producing shoddy products and then not giving a crap.

·
Registered
92 Posts

The only thing less reliable than an “ultimate driving machine” is an Alfa Romeo! 🤣

VWAG have quite an illustrious history of producing shoddy products and then not giving a crap.
I’ve had 7. Was always a big fan of the straight 6 M50/52/52TU engines. Near engineering perfection. Dropped them in 2017 after the 325ti finally started to misbehave.

Bought a 1998 338i Touring when it was 3 months old, then 328ci in 1999 when they were released. Then a 330ci in 2003. Cheated on BMW with a Saab 9-3 in 2006, then second hand older ones after that as second cars. 325ti, 330i touring x2, 335i saloon.

they became progressively less reliable. The absolute best one I ever owned was the 1998 338i tourer. Didn’t have it very long, but it was near perfection to drive.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
625 Posts
I’ve had 7. Was always a big fan of the straight 6 M50/52/52TU engines. Near engineering perfection. Dropped them in 2017 after the 325ti finally started to misbehave.

Bought a 1998 338i Touring when it was 3 months old, then 328ci in 1999 when they were released. Then a 330ci in 2003. Cheated on BMW with a Saab 9-3 in 2006, then second hand older ones after that as second cars. 325ti, 330i touring x2, 335i saloon.

they became progressively less reliable. The absolute best one I ever owned was the 1998 338i tourer. Didn’t have it very long, but it was near perfection to drive.
Hmm I think I may have realised where I was going wrong I have had 3 my 2011 X1 was flawless!

My other 2 were train wrecks!

where have they gone so wrong?!!

·
Registered
80 Posts

Have to say that transition from Lexus to BMW was scary, but truth been told , had 3 BMW since 2015, all three absolutely faultless .
Perhaps things are improving (or I was just lucky)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have to say that transition from Lexus to BMW was scary, but truth been told , had 3 BMW since 2015, all three absolutely faultless .
Perhaps things are improving (or I was just lucky)
There was a period or rear-chained 4 pot engines which were really poorly implemented. The 6'es were never too much bother as the stresses on the rear of the engine were less, automatics even less so. 06-10 were engine failure bad. 12-14 electrical problems galore (cooling etc).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts