Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since driving around Milton Keynes in our electric car (Nissan LEAF, but sure applies to all), I've noticed something odd.

I've had to brake. A lot.

Why?

Because people keep pulling out in front of me at roundabouts (MK has a lot of roundabouts), almost every day!

I think it's because the car accelerates smoothly, quickly and without hesitation, and people just don't expect that.

MK has its fair share of idiot drivers who pull out at roundabouts regardless, but it really is something I've experienced more in the EV than in any other vehicle.

People used to pull out in front of my in my old Mini when I was doing 60, somehow they couldn't compute that I was doing 60 in a Mini and just went for it. But this is different and very specific, it's when I pull away, they just don't give themselves time to see that my car is heading towards them, and they just end up right in my way.

Very frustrating, I wonder if I'm alone in experiencing this?!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it's the acceleration and lack of gear change that does it. My previous car, a well modified ford Mondeo ST tdci, 200bhp & 430nm torgue used to have the same effect. So long as I arrived at a roundabout in 2nd gear at anything from about 3mph, I could take off very quickly!

I often found myself at the side door of a car that had pulled out, really not expecting me to have got to them that quickly and the occasional look of horror. It's just something I got to expect & be ready for.

If I had to stop and accelerate from 1st gear, it only seemed to happen from idiots that pull out whatever. The gear change from 1st to 2nd seems to put enough of a delay into things. I'll be interested to see if I get the surprised looks back once I get in the Leaf (not long now).

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the plus side it also prevents people from overtaking on single lane roundabouts, when they pull into the lane next to you, only to embarrassingly be left behind by an EV. That's made me smile a few times. ;)

I know what you mean about surprising people, I had a 220hp tuned MINI Cooper S, and a few others, was great around MK but people didn't expect it, sometimes fun, sometimes really dangerous/annoying if they pulled out. Just seems to happen even more in the Leaf than it did with the S!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Very useful pulling out of a side road in front of oncoming traffic - foot down (even in ECO mode) gets you moving before they catch you up!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Very useful pulling out of a side road in front of oncoming traffic - foot down (even in ECO mode) gets you moving before they catch you up!
I definitely don't recommend this. I had a cloth touch incident pulling this exact maneuver enthusiastically when the traction control threw a fit mid turn. I ended up stranded looking a reet plonker. Luckily the oncoming traffic managed to stop/swerve but was v close!

I think as EV drivers we shouldn't forget the real skill of advanced driving which is anticipation. What will the other guy do having assumed he hasn't realised he's totally out of his depth from 0-30mph. No need to be a c*ck about it, you're heading for a 50/50 insurance claim at best!

I'm telling myself that before the MS turns up and I get myself in real trouble :whistle:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I definitely don't recommend this. I had a cloth touch incident pulling this exact maneuver enthusiastically when the traction control threw a fit mid turn. I ended up stranded looking a reet plonker. Luckily the oncoming traffic managed to stop/swerve but was v close!

I think as EV drivers we shouldn't forget the real skill of advanced driving which is anticipation.
Thanks for the warning, especially about the risk of the traction control throwing a fit. I totally agree with your last sentence - I don't want one from a magistrate!

What I was trying to say is that compared with my old ICE, the smooth acceleration and no gear changes on my Leaf means I can safely get into a slightly smaller gap in the traffic when turning right onto an A road with traffic at approching at 40-50mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts