Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d be interested to hear the experiences of others. My Kona has had all available updates to my knowledge. I’m used to the acceleration being rapid when you need it to be, but this morning the car felt held back as though the power was being throttled. The air temperature was 6C and displayed SoC 11%. It seems the maximum power to the motor was 55kW to 56kW and it really made the car feel sluggish. This was Sport mode with Traction turned off

Has anyone else found this?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,866 Posts
11% SOC? And there were no warnings on the dash of reduced power or "low battery"? I would say watch on YouTube a recent video by Andrew Till (sorry if I got this wrong). He ran out of battery with either 8% or 8miles indicated.

Anyway, at 11% SOC I would expect reduced power, with at least a warning on the dash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally never drove my car that low, but recently came home with 17% SoC but in Eco mode and didn't notice any reduction in the power available. I generally don't use Sport mode that much since I mostly use it for the city ride and speed restrictions are everywhere.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally never drove my car that low, but recently came home with 17% SoC but in Eco mode and didn't notice any reduction in the power available. I generally don't use Sport mode that much since I mostly use it for the city ride and speed restrictions are everywhere.
Thanks and for the link - that might be the answer. I don’t normally go less than 20% but on this occasion, circumstances dictated otherwise. I still had three bars left on the battery and I was only using Sport mode to see whether that release more power. It was quite unnerving driving the car with it being so sluggish. I usually use eco mode because I like the throttle response which I find a bit sudden on Sport and even Comfort Modes.

The car is charging now so I’ll see what it’s like this evening. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a follow-up, all seemed normal on the drive home with 90% charge. I have had two EV’s before and neither reduced performance at low SoC’s. Even my Leaf performed normally even with ‘—‘ on the display. Very odd in the Kona and not what I was expecting with 40miles range shown.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
Kona 64
739 Posts
As a follow-up, all seemed normal on the drive home with 90% charge. I have had two EV’s before and neither reduced performance at low SoC’s. Even my Leaf performed normally even with ‘—‘ on the display. Very odd in the Kona and not what I was expecting with 40miles range shown.

Thanks for the replies.
You would have run out of juice at least a 100 miles from home in the Leaf. You have forgotten about range anxiety!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I like the Leaf but could I live with just 80 miles range? Yes but only if it was just for use as a local run around. I would not want to drive 850 miles to the south of France as I did last year in the Kona.
I have never done that, but have done 410 miles in a day with no drama. Many advantages with the Kona but my daily commute is just 15 miles each way and thinking of going back to cycling so not sure I’ll keep the Kona much longer.

·
Registered
Kona 64
739 Posts
For me, the intention was regular 340 mile each way trips every few weeks. This year however means those haven’t happened. I currently charge every two weeks....
The only positive about lockdown is that whilst my Kona was high mileage in March it isn't any more. Average day now is 4 miles to the Gym, when it isnt in lockdown.
I managed a long weekend in Kent at Dungeness back in September before Kent became a lorry park. . An area with few chargers, thats when the range of the Kona is handy.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It is so tempting to buy an EV with more range than is needed. I probably did so.
I volunteer at a hdgehog rescue centre in Cheddar and often travel all around Somerset picking up injured and orphaned hogs. I know where the chargers are if I need them, but with the Kona, it means I can set off without worrying about range as I used to with the Ioniq. When it comes to range, I've found it's the unexpected urgent journeys which usually catch you out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been below 10% many times and never experienced this but haven't since the BMS update so will keep an eye out.
Thanks. Would be interested in hearing your experience. It’s the first time I’ve had it, but equally been below 10% a few times. My thought was it is a covert software change either the updates to protect the battery. Have to say, I’m beginning to fall out of love with the car and Hyundai.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks. Would be interested in hearing your experience. It’s the first time I’ve had it, but equally been below 10% a few times. My thought was it is a covert software change either the updates to protect the battery. Have to say, I’m beginning to fall out of love with the car and Hyundai.
Data point from elsewhere...my Audi eTron had a major software update relatively recently. Previously, full power including the boost mode was available down to very low SoC. Now, with no display notification, boost isn't available from about 12% SoC and the available power ramps down from about 5% (does show the turtle and reduced power notification from 4%). More protection is being built in - although I rather suspect that, in the eTron's case, the software will be common across all model years and it's protecting the newer models where slightly more battery capacity has been released. Not just a Hyundai thing by any means.

Reactions: SKeen34 and Todor

·
Registered
20 Posts
The power reduction at lower state of charge is normal and has always existed in my car even before recent firmware updates.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts