Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left Southend with 100% charge (Leaf Spy Pro showing 284 GIDs, whatever that is worth) this morning, heading for Maidstone yet again. I had done about 10 miles, in which I was driving at just short of 1 mile per 1% battery charge when the heavens opened quite spectacularly. I kept my speed down to around 50mph, which I reckon was probably the limit for what was safe for the conditions, even though almost every other driver disagreed.

There was plenty of standing water on the road and it quickly became apparent that I was using up the electrons at a far higher rate than I am used to. By the time I was on the M2 Medway Bridge, where I was overtaken by a speeding Eurostar train, I was heading for about 75 miles from a full battery, pretty much a personal worst. As luck would have it, the rain stopped, conditions improved and I had time to spare, so I dropped into the Medway services and topped up to 75%, which was when the rain started again.

This diversion added about 10 miles to my journey, but was necessary if I was to take my daughter and her children anywhere useful, and have enough charge left to get me back to a rapid charger before coming home again.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yes fits with my experiences this week. The Danish Tesla Model S driver suggested he did not find this effect in Holland on their soak away roads

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think it makes a bigger difference than you realise, obviously the rolling resistance is increased significantly by the standing water. In my ICE car on the same journey in dry vs. Very wet I see as much as 20% difference in consumption 48 mpg vs 40 in the wet.

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
After three years in the Leaf and the i3 I've seen as much as 25% reduction in rain and standing water of which there can be plenty on the country roads here with water draining from the adjacent fields.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I too have found that heavy rain causes a rapid reduction in range. In fact I almost ran out of juice on the way home from York the other night. It's 50 miles with no chargers on the A19 between York and home. I topped up just enough on the 22kW charger, aiming to have about 20% left when I got home. Heavy rain most of the way, so I dropped speed down to 45 or so, and rolled up the driveway with the red battery warning and 4% remaining.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
+1 as above - heavy rain definately has a negative effect, though on motorways etc the increased rolling resistance is partly offset by the slower speeds (for me at least!)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Bring back the dry weather I say, I was following lorry's tracks on the road and not going through any standing water but still used more electric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts