Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
British prime minister Boris Johnson declared today at the Conservative Party conference that the UK would become “the world leader in clean wind energy.” He committed £160 million ($207 million) to upgrade ports and factories in northern England, Scotland, and Wales in order to build wind turbines.

I'm pleased that the UK will (hopefully) see much cheaper electricity costs, as that will greatly encourage consumers to go green, including:
  • Buying an EV
  • Switch to electric heating
  • Lower monthly bills as most things are electric
But here is the problem. Most UK homes have a gas boiler, both for heating and taps (most energy in a household).
So they'll need to switch to an electric boiler.
I hope that the government helps pay for the switch.

There appears to be no electric boilers that can be fitted alongside a conventional boiler.

I'd really like to see boiler manufacturers create a hybrid boiler, capable of using both gas and electric and able to switch in real time depending on local electricity (surplus or not).

lastly, is there such a thing as an electric hot water tank which can use the heated water for the radiators?
Edit - just found this: Electric Wet Central Heating System, Electric Water Heating

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
If you only need 6kW to heat your house then that'll do fine. :unsure: Our current gas boiler is 24kW so there's a bit of a shortfall.
Politicians like making big promises that they will not be around to deliver. :rolleyes: Boris certainly will not be in power in 10 years time.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
lastly, is there such a thing as an electric hot water tank which can use the heated water for the radiators?
Thermal stores are useful as you can use multiple heat sources. You could have it heated by immersion heater, gas boiler, heat pump and 'Aga' type as you wish in real time. The water is then used directly for radiators and indirectly for DHW.

(We actually have one but it was not for the reasons above.)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,846 Posts
If you only need 6kW to heat your house then that'll do fine. :unsure: Our current gas boiler is 24kW so there's a bit of a shortfall.
You can easily heat a room with 800W heater. The northern European countries have produced some extremely efficient wall heaters that do an amazing job. Even in a house with 5/6 rooms, that is less than 10kW for the whole house. There was a FC video on YT about an extremely efficient house, but that used mostly underfloor heating. Still worth a watch.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
FWIW we have UFH via a heat store from a gas heater and 2 x 3kW immersion. But you could not keep the house warm on the immersions on E7 alone. The reality is that the house is too thermally inefficient.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,846 Posts
FWIW we have UFH via a heat store from a gas heater and 2 x 3kW immersion. But you could not keep the house warm on the immersions on E7 alone. The reality is that the house is too thermally inefficient.
Insulation is essential if you want efficiency.

Reactions: idiotzoo

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
He has promised a lot of things, but rarely delivered.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
He’s shed 26 lbs already!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Politicians like making big promises that they will not be around to deliver. :rolleyes: Boris certainly will not be in power in 10 years time.
Does your gas boiler run at a full un modulated 24kW continuous for heating?

My 24kW gas boiler certainly doesn't even on the coldest of days.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
528 Posts
Does your gas boiler run at a full un modulated 24kW continuous for heating?

My 24kW gas boiler certainly doesn't even on the coldest of days.
Mine does, for a period of time. Rapid start is the key, then it moderates because we don't quite have enough kw of radiators to disseminate the full output. I did work it out, but can't remember what kW we are at. I can't claim to have a very efficient house, but we do like opening windows and wearing jumpers ...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You can easily heat a room with 800W heater. The northern European countries have produced some extremely efficient wall heaters that do an amazing job.
All wall heaters are 100% efficient, just not at all efficient, trying not to repeat others, but the technology is called ASHP. GSHP are ok for large detached country properties where you can have huge underground pipes or a borehole, but for city dwellers the answer is ASHP. Just switch and move on. Greatest problem is the size of the equipment.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
All wall heaters are 100% efficient, just not at all efficient, trying not to repeat others, but the technology is called ASHP. GSHP are ok for large detached country properties where you can have huge underground pipes or a borehole, but for city dwellers the answer is ASHP. Just switch and move on. Greatest problem is the size of the equipment.
And the noise. (n)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
British prime minister Boris Johnson declared today at the Conservative Party conference that the UK would become “the world leader in clean wind energy.” He committed £160 million ($207 million) to upgrade ports and factories in northern England, Scotland, and Wales in order to build wind turbines.

I'm pleased that the UK will (hopefully) see much cheaper electricity costs, as that will greatly encourage consumers to go green, including:
  • Buying an EV
  • Switch to electric heating
  • Lower monthly bills as most things are electric
But here is the problem. Most UK homes have a gas boiler, both for heating and taps (most energy in a household).
So they'll need to switch to an electric boiler.
I hope that the government helps pay for the switch.

There appears to be no electric boilers that can be fitted alongside a conventional boiler.

I'd really like to see boiler manufacturers create a hybrid boiler, capable of using both gas and electric and able to switch in real time depending on local electricity (surplus or not).

Edit - just found this: Electric Wet Central Heating System, Electric Water Heating
It's far from unforseen it's been both known and predicted for ages it's the only way to both hit co2 targets and reduce foreign energy dependance with Russia.

Fact is most boilers have a life expectancy of 7 to 10 years most boilers were not fitted in the last couple of years and it's going to take the best part of a decade for gas prices to match that of electricity.

It's possible right now to get a direct replacement for your gas boiler that runs just from electricity but the reality is they cost more to run than gas in the current market.

People will gradually switch to electric boilers just like they are and will switch to EVs

·
Registered
118 Posts
As someone has already said Air Source Heat Pump is likely to be the answer for most homes. Radiators may have to be resized because they run most efficiently at 35Deg C. But they push out 3-4 times the heat of the electricity consumption. If you use Octopus Agile tariff you will have cheaper heating than gas. Servicing should be less, all that is required is to ensure that the area around the outdoor unit is kept clean and free from debris (leaves etc) the actual unit can be monitored over the web.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can easily heat a room with 800W heater. The northern European countries have produced some extremely efficient wall heaters that do an amazing job. Even in a house with 5/6 rooms, that is less than 10kW for the whole house. There was a FC video on YT about an extremely efficient house, but that used mostly underfloor heating. Still worth a watch.
Think I’ve seen that one (the video,not the house!). They never use the UFH. The design and fabric of building is just so well put together that they just use heat recovery and it keeps ambient temp at comfortable level all year round.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts