Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached are two images of the unknown red flashing indicator on the top, center, forward portion of the dashboard in my 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid. I couldn't find any mention of this indicator in my owner's manual.

A well-known SAE convention dictates that cabin indicators shall not be red unless they signify an "abnormal condition." So, what is the condition and why is it apparently not mentioned in the owner's manual? I suspect this might have something to do with Bluelink or perhaps Sirius, but again, could find nothing.
20181201_101420.jpg
20181201_101402.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The indicator seems to flash whenever the car is occupied or unoccupied, locked or unlocked, charging or not charging, and in the garage. When I back the car out of the driveway, the flashing mysteriously seems to stop. I never noticed this indication until I activated my Sirius XM account and it does seem like Sirius XM drops out when I pull in to the garage. My guess is that the red light indicates some sort of satellite acquisition failure but it doesn't seem to matter if the radio is on or not.

I called the dealership and got this load of baloney:

SORRY FOR THE HOLD SIR I DID NOTIFY ALL MY ADVISORS RIGHT NOW THEY TOLD ME ITS THE MOVEMENT ALARM SENSOR TO SENSE MOVEMENT IN THE CAR IT NOTHING BAD FOR THE CAR

Capitol Hyundai | Capitol Genesis
DGDG.com
O (408) 445-1500

As I said at the start of this thread, RED is usually reserved for abnormal conditions. I don't believe for one second that this is some sort of movement sensor because movement has nothing to do with its behavior. I would just like to know what it is for sure.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,251 Posts
Probably what you've just said. I'd stick a bit of black electrical tape over it and move on with life!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably what you've just said. I'd stick a bit of black electrical tape over it and move on with life!
You're probably right. The light isn't objectionable to me--I just wish I knew for sure what it was. I will never forget the time I saw the oil can light come on in my wife's car as she went around a corner. Her comment, "Oh that... It always goes away when I'm done turning."

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,251 Posts
You've asked and got a response (in writing, I hope and trust, if not go back and get it!). Then rest easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts