Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Our sparky said they use a mole device around here (sand just below the soil) dig a hole at either end and it excavates/tunnels across.

we may face the same soon - but thankfully I want someone to dig up the front garden as there’s a knackered drain there… 😁

·
Registered
74 Posts
That definitely looks like the majority of ones I've seen.

We were very fortunate, our neighbors have paving slabs and the driveway was the opposite side.

They pulled up the slabs and had it done within a day. You couldn't tell they'd been the next day.

The only reason I knew about it was my wife told me. I'd gone to work and come back 9 hours after and all evidence had gone.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I've hired a mole to get a cable under a drive. Longest part of the job was digging the pits either side and setting it up to run across where we wanted. Took minutes to actually cross the few metres of drive and allow a duct to be pulled through. Helped a friend do a similar job, getting a cable across to a detached garage, and he had a trick using a hose and a bit of copper pipe. A lot more mess than the mole, but just as quick. Only thing we could have done with was a submersible pump to get the water out of the pit we started from. I was surprised how quickly a pipe will drill a hole with just a modest flow of water, though. Not big enough to get a duct in, but fine for pulling in a bit of SWA.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The mole might not have busted the two drains! Ours might be a temporary traffic light job... we'll be popular! Wait and see - due the grand inspection on the 5th...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had to do something similar on a split commercial/residential property I own. SSE charged me £4,500 to dig up the road and install a new supply. Compared with only £1,000 that SGN charged to do the same for the gas.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
77 Posts
They used a mole on mine, WPD were extremely good! Really nice chaps that came and dug 2 holes, 1 in the garden and 1 in the street, mole through (I thought they were gonna trench and was pleasantly surprised as it went under a bush!). Chaps connected up next door to the existing cable and knocked off our end of the loop. Couple days later someone came and fixed up the holes, like it was never there! Everyone was really friendly/polite and courteous, cannot fault at all it was a top job!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,897 Posts
If SPEN decide to come back and unloop my neighbour from me, it could get very messy. Our drives are poured concrete (mine also has tarmac over it, my late dad's idea).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm in the middle of trying to get my supply unlooped from our next door neighbour, as I want to move our meter and CU to the other end of the house (the wall the supply comes into will be demolished as part of refurb, and new location is nearer garage.

It's a bit frustrating as I had Northern Powergrid come out to survey for moving it in March but no further with it. Currently it's an overhead line, incoming (old braided wire) comes into our gable end, through our loft(s) into neighbour loft, then back out of their supply, through our loft and into our supply. We also have another incoming supply that I think was for disused storage heaters (kind two phase supply I think?). Our whole house needs new wiring and meter, it's all pretty old,and we're trying to plan for EV charger, solar and possibly heat pumps.

Northern Power grid are trying to get the neighbours on board to get new supply, but they are resisting (having done some recent work they don't want to undo, and a nice repointed gable they don't want a wire over!). Annoying they are happy to have an old cable draped across out loft space though!

Problem is they won't do new overhead lines these days, so it has to go underground to neighbour, and they also won't go through our loft (that would be my last compromise, as I need to at least move my meter).

Very frustring, think our next step is for Northern Powergrid to somehow force work on neighbour through court.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts