Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my first cross words at a charge point. On arrival both Bays were occupied but the right hand one had an outlander plugged in and not charging. I pulled up to the next bay and connected the chademo to the Env_200 and commenced charging.
On return from the services the outlander driver closed his charge doors and pulled forward and then stopped my charge, presumably not realising that I was stood near by.
I said "what the hell do you think you are doing. He then accused me of touching his car and terminating his charge as he only had 80%. I told him to clear off.
Sadly these cars are now affordable by rif-raf and this sort of thing will increase.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,088 Posts
Just so you know, Mitsubishi cars like the i-MiEV and Outlander all stop at 80% when rapid charging. You can then plug in again and continue but it will be VERY slow to go to full.

I think it proves he's new and hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

Was it free to charge today? I bet he normally uses petrol. :)
Going by the fact that he stopped OP's charge, assuming it wasn't an emergency stop, it sounds like it probably was a free vend.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We also had an interesting outlander at Lidl newcastle podpoint. when we arrived charger wasn’t charging and given the ccs was free we kicked it off. ( we then done our shopping and had 10 mins extra to charge to make our journey leg next day so we’re sat in car). He turned up back at machine and fails to stop our charge and I had to explain we hadn’t stopped him ( and you can’t on a podpoint rapid either).p so he couldn’t stop us. The odd thing was the chap didn’t have his phone out to stop and ahem looked to have just plunge din for the prime pArking spot not the electriciy.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I said "what the hell do you think you are doing?". ..... I told him to clear off.
Sadly these cars are now affordable by rif-raf and this sort of thing will increase.
Seems you are the rif-raf as well ....

You reap what you sow. There are many things in the situation that could have been done differently from the start and avoided a conflict. Don't throw stones inside a glass greenhouse!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,088 Posts
We also had an interesting outlander at Lidl newcastle podpoint. when we arrived charger wasn’t charging and given the ccs was free we kicked it off. ( we then done our shopping and had 10 mins extra to charge to make our journey leg next day so we’re sat in car). He turned up back at machine and fails to stop our charge and I had to explain we hadn’t stopped him ( and you can’t on a podpoint rapid either).p so he couldn’t stop us. The odd thing was the chap didn’t have his phone out to stop and ahem looked to have just plunge din for the prime pArking spot not the electriciy.
Newcastle is the home of Outlander PHEVs all with owners who plug in but don't charge unless its free electricity. They are the whole reason why the council stopped the offer of free parking while charging because they were constantly abusing it, not paying for the charging, and blocking chargepoints for EV Drivers who actually need the power.

If you're ever passing through again, save yourself the hassle and look for alternatives for charging. Fastned are in Newcastle and Sunderland, with plenty of rapids all in one place so you should never inconvenience someone, or be inconvenienced by them. Electric Blue also have a lot of installs going in the area, mostly with 2+ Rapids per location, and pretty much all at the back ends of car parks to avoid people abusing them for the good parking spaces.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
610 Posts
My opinion and it is probably contentious, no PHEV, should be given rapid charging capabilities, only level 2, for home charging and topping up on posts whilst parking.

The Outlander has CHAdeMO capability and takes 20+ Minutes on a rapid to charge a battery that allows the vehicle to travel a distance of 20- 30 miles, before the engine kicks in.

The Outlanders rarely use a rapid charger when they have to pay because it is the same cost as petrol, so why go to the trouble of plugging in and waiting. However free vend gives free miles and they will hunt down free vend chargers like blood hounds and hog them.

Whilst I fully accept the first come first served concept at chargers, it is always galling to see an Outlander there in front of you, to satisfy a short range. When as a BEV driver, you have to rely on that rapid charger as a distance charger, the purpose for which it is intended.

This is why I always avoid chargers on free vend, I would rather pay for a reliable charge and be on my way.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,384 Posts
Prepare for more of these as the current Mercedes A class PHEV has CCS rapid charging.

Well said Dave ^

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,384 Posts
Really? What speed does it charge at on CCS?

"There’s a 15.6kWh battery "
"..... and as little as 30 minutes on a DC charge, the A-Class adding the possibility of CCS charging. "
Not sure to what percentage, if to 80%, that's a hair under 25kW average speed under perfect ideal condition from 0%.

sigh why do they bother?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,988 Posts
This is why I suddenly don't mind the so-called "Self Charging Hybrids".
They can't hog a rapid charger for hours on end while the owner does their monthly shopping/hairdo/movie.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,088 Posts
This is why I suddenly don't mind the so-called "Self Charging Hybrids".
They can't hog a rapid charger for hours on end while the owner does their monthly shopping/hairdo/movie.
I don't think many of us have ever had an issue with the concept of traditional hybrids. It was mostly the name that Toyota decided to give them that annoyed most of us.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,988 Posts
I don't think many of us have ever had an issue with the concept of traditional hybrids. It was mostly the name that Toyota decided to give them that annoyed most of us.
Exactly. Hence my use of the phrase "so-called".

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had an Outlander PHEV for four years. I have now moved on the an E-Niro. For me, the Outlander was the "gateway" car that gave me the confidence to go full electric. I want to be absolutely clear that I do not wish to defend the poor behavior of some Outlander drivers, such as examples quoted in this thread. However, a some small crumb of comfort could be that at least some of these Outlander drivers of today will go on to be full electric drivers of the future.

The battery range of the Outlander is so limited anyway that I would say that in the 4 years (46,000 miles driven) that I had the Outlander I used public chargers maybe 10 times. I had a home Podpoint installed (now vital for my e-niro) and the battery only driving aspect came into play for short local trips, such as trips to local supermarkets and back home to charge on the pod point. In that sense the battery aspect was useful as alot of day to day trips were of that nature.

For longer trips, i soon concluded that it just wasn't worth the hassle and time to stop, say, at an MSA on the off chance that an ecotricity might be working, wait for say 30 minutes for what - maybe 20 miles of battery driving max at motorway speeds in the heavy outlander. If i was driving London Manchester, that would be a lot of stops and while there would be some financial gain over petrol costs, i just didnt have the time / desire to keep stopping time and time again on a long journey. Plus i'd end up buying a coffee and snack in the MSA and spending money!

The rare occasions i actually used a public charger were when there happened to be one at a precise location i would have gone to anyway. Just not worth the deviation to find a charger (which may or may not be working) for the limited range when i was away from home. And these were car parks with a number of type 2 fast chargers (not rapids) and always i was the only car using one!

Having been an Outlander driver for four years, it amazes me that there are people out there who hunt down charging points. I see there is a technical financial gain / environmental gain of course for using electric with an Outlander, but the Outlander isn't cheap anyway and not fuel efficient on petrol at all (especially at speed) so if money saving is your thing, you wouldn't get an Outlander in the first place and if you are really big on the environment, you'd go full electric.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
We also had an interesting outlander at Lidl newcastle podpoint. when we arrived charger wasn’t charging and given the ccs was free we kicked it off. ..
I've done similar, but always photographed the display to show that there was no charging going on. I've had one unpleasant brush with a guy, showed him the photo and he shrugged and left.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Outlander drivers are without doubt the most common people to have a go at you for some imagined interference in their car. It's often caused by the stopping at 80% thing.

I have three videos on my old phone of them going crazy at me.

And yeah, they ruined the free parking in Newcastle with their shitty behaviour.

Reactions: Rory166

·
Registered
156 Posts
To be fair and I mean no offence to drivers of them but I'd be constantly pee'd off if I had to drive an Outlander PHEV. Have never been very tempted by bad exterior, interior, acceleration, fuel economy or EV range.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I have just had my first cross words at a charge point. On arrival both Bays were occupied but the right hand one had an outlander plugged in and not charging. I pulled up to the next bay and connected the chademo to the Env_200 and commenced charging.
On return from the services the outlander driver closed his charge doors and pulled forward and then stopped my charge, presumably not realising that I was stood near by.
I said "what the hell do you think you are doing. He then accused me of touching his car and terminating his charge as he only had 80%. I told him to clear off.
I guess with an aggressive note like that.....

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
610 Posts
This afternoon at LIDL's, Whitely, there was a VW GTE charging up on the rapid charger, using the AC with a ZOE waiting. It's not free vend, it's 23P a Kw, I know the chargers primary function is provided a top up whilst you do your shopping, may be 30 minutes or so, but with a 3.7Kw charger on board the GTE, why would anybody bother?

The Zoe could have had decent charge on the AC in 30 minutes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts