Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
I have had the same thing happen at MK while shopping, some people!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally disagree. The manager was very helpful and apologetic. He didn't have to offer me charging in the first place but he did and was keen to do so. When I told him what had happened he was mortified. Later, when I spoke to someone on the front desk about something unrelated they had been made fully aware of the issue and mentioned that they will look out on the CCTV for anyone potentially tampering.

I think that we need to be very careful about just dismissing everyone as not on the side of EVs. Your comment Paul seems to be rather cynical. I feel that we should not tar everyone with the same brush.

They clearly did care and the manager clearly took steps to make sure it didn't happen again.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll only know if it's made a difference if you go back and spend more money. So I'll keep my "cynical" hat on.
I think that you should really reconsider that cynicism as I think that to say what you said is doing the manager and most of the staff a huge injustice. They deserve our support for them offering their support IMO.

Yes, I would definitely go back. It was a good Premier Inn and they did offer to help when I asked about charging. Perhaps you should save your cynicism for those that don't try to help.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@MickH The cable alarm was off. I do not switch it on at hotels. I think it would be grossly inconsiderate to have the alarm go off, perhaps in the middle of the night waking everyone up, just because some wally has unplugged my car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
@MickH The cable alarm was off. I do not switch it on at hotels. I think it would be grossly inconsiderate to have the alarm go off, perhaps in the middle of the night waking everyone up, just because some wally has unplugged my car.
I know what you're saying but it would have given them a hell of a fright and they probably would think twice the next time

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know what you're saying but it would have given them a hell of a fright and they probably would think twice the next time
Who would think twice? The people I would wake up are not the ones that did the unplugging are they. It wouldn't be right for me to wake up half the hotel for the actions of one idiot.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
They work in the service industry and offered you a service (non-standard, but it was agreed in advance). You paid to stay there and accept that sweetener.

They not only failed to deliver, but a staff member deliberately denied you that service! I think that's disgusting.

The very least I think you should expect is what you got, an apologetic and no doubt somewhat embarrassed manager. It's his business after all and his staff have (potentially, if pure BEV) screwed you over big time and at the very least sabotaged his promises!

Yup, I'm cynical... But this is a horrible way to treat a paying guest.

Let's just hope that if and when they get proper EV charging their staff still won't find it "funny", or whatever, to pull the plugs.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paul, please forgive me but I think that your approach to this is all wrong.

They did not offer me a service. They allowed me to plug in at my risk and without any promise of any kind. I asked if they had EV charging, they said no. That is the starting position and that is the service they offered. A room without EV charging. However, I pressed them and asked if they had a socket I would be allowed to plug into and they said that I could be it would not be in the car park so if I was happy to park by the kitchen then that would be allowed.

I think that there is a world of difference to them claiming that they have EV charging and then not delivering it (as you describe) and them saying they don't have charging but, as a favour if you like, they will allow me to use an unofficial socket. They didn't have to do that. Their staff are not familiar with EVs charging there and according to the manager I was the first they had seen.

When I was a shopkeeper I used to deplore customers with your attitude Paul. I would try to help them and all they did was complain if things didn't go exactly as they wanted.

As I have been on the other side of the counter, having run my own computer shop for a couple of years, I consider myself one of the most difficult people to impress when it comes to customer service. I expect others to offer the level of service that I would offer. They did that and to hear you be so critical of their efforts to help I find almost upsetting.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion but with your attitude I could imagine that if it were you instead of me last weekend then he may vow never to offer to help an EV driver again!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Who would think twice? The people I would wake up are not the ones that did the unplugging are they. It wouldn't be right for me to wake up half the hotel for the actions of one idiot.
You're not the one waking anybody up its the idiot who thinks its funny to unplug your vehicle and if they know by the alarm going off drawing attention to their actions they might think twice the next time they consider pulling the plug on someone elses EV.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@MickH I don't agree. Sorry. If I set the alarm then I must accept that it might go off. I may not be the trigger but I would be partially responsible because I could prevent it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@knoxie Well I wouldn't. I would respect that if I want to stay at a hotel then I have a responsibility not to wake the other guests regardless of the reason.

My personal opinion and decision is to never set a cable alarm. In the Ampera I have petrol so it will never be anything more than an annoyance and no one can justify potentially waking loads of guests up for just an annoyance. In the Leaf I have other ways... such as the CarWings. IMO there is never any reason to justify waking everyone up just for one person's inconvenience.

Sorry :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
However, I pressed them and asked if they had a socket I would be allowed to plug into and they said that I could be it would not be in the car park so if I was happy to park by the kitchen then that would be allowed.
You turned up when the kitchen was closed and too late for you to buy some food, damn.

But guess what, you phoned ahead to check and they're kind enough to have offered to knock you up a salad sandwich, for free!

Later, the tray arrives, but what's this? It's all been eaten on the way, aside from a slice of cucumber.

But that's OK, at least they offered.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry Paul but if you had bought a type 1 to 2 cable and had to use it to charge at a hotel and you came out the following morning and the cable had disappeared would it have been worth it knowing the culprit hadn't been caught because you'd switched the alarm off to save waking other guests up. I'm sure the hotel wouldn't have reimbursed you for being so considerate!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Paul I find your attitude to be quite unreasonable IMO and very harsh on someone trying to help. Sorry. I prey that they same thing doesn't happen to you because you will completely alienate those people that have gone out of their way to help you.

@MickH No and I wouldn't expect them too either and IMO neither should you. If you plug your cable into any charging station or socket then you do so at your own risk. No one should expect reimbursement if it is stolen and if you wish to turn on your cable alarm then that is your choice. It is my choice not to and if my cable gets stolen then I certainly would never complain to the hotel.

If you want to set your alarm then that is your choice. However, if a hotel starts to get regular EV car alarms going off then I suspect their benevolence towards EVs will decline. For now I am prepared to take the small risk of having my cable stolen rather than accept the much greater likelihood of a malicious unplugging.

However, if a hotel has a dedicated EV charging station and are officially offering that as a service then things are very different. They then know that EVs will be plugged in. They will know that they could have their cables stolen and they would probably expect there to be alarms set. In a hotel with dedicated EV charging that does offer the service then I would feel differently. As it was... they were doing me a favour and I was not going to cause them the problem of potentially 10s of complaints from other guests because they did me a favour.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no idea what you mean by "chill". I am certainly not annoyed by this discussion but I will vigorously defend the manager and staff at the hotel for offering to help. They do not deserve any criticism if it goes pear-shaped in any way IMO.

No one is falling out. Are we not allowed to discuss?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts