Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2021 38.3kWh
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I understand for paid you simply tap your card/end the sessions and it stops charing and you can unplug

How do you do it for free ones, such as pod points in Tesco supermarkets?

So far I have double tapped the unlock button on the remote and the cable becomes unlocked at the car end and I simply unplug it

Just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hey!

I understand for paid you simply tap your card/end the sessions and it stops charing and you can unplug

So far I have double tapped the unlock button on the remote and the cable becomes unlocked at the car end and I simply unplug it

No that's fine. Doing this will tell the chargepoint to stop and the cable should then release at that end.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Pod-point chargers, even the free ones, will probalby stop charging after 15 minutes unless you claim them on the app

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
765 Posts
Yeah, podpoint you need the app, otherwise most of them stop charging after 15 minutes. Some don't though presumably because they have a bug or something.
Others like Asda may be linked with BP / pulse and often have a connection fee so you will need the app and credit on the account (Or credit card registered)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey!

If you have Bluelink, click 'stop charging' in the software. On the Kona, you can hold the door open button down for 5 seconds and that will stop the charge and release the cable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have Bluelink, click 'stop charging' in the software. On the Kona, you can hold the door open button down for 5 seconds and that will stop the charge and release the cable.
I do have bluelink!
That’s good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, podpoint you need the app, otherwise most of them stop charging after 15 minutes. Some don't though presumably because they have a bug or something.
Others like Asda may be linked with BP / pulse and often have a connection fee so you will need the app and credit on the account (Or credit card registered)
Yeah I know about the app to start the charge, more wondering about how to end it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
The different networks can vary, is the answer. Podpoint unlocks at its end when you unlock at the car end; Hubsta (which is the other free one I use) has to be unlocked at the charger end with the RFID tag, etc.

·
Registered
424 Posts
On the pod-point socketed charge points, and indeed, for any random socketed charge point, if there's no obvious way to stop the charge and release the cable from the charge point (no RFID to tap, etc), disconnect your cable from the vehicle end first in the same sort of way you'd disconnect from a home charger. The charge point should notice the lack of the vehicle and end the session there and then, and disengage the socket hatch lock that will allow you to remove your cable.
Source London, however, with their IER charge points are a law unto themselves, and if a session is ended in a way they don't expect it can put their charge point out of service and their terms of service includes a clause about fining the user if it's disconnected in what they see as 'the wrong order'... or at least that was the case the last time I used one of their chargers, which is now a few years ago. They might have updated their faulty firmware by now. If you ever use Source London, make sure you end the session via their screen first.

6.10 You do not follow the correct procedure for disconnecting Your Vehicle from the Charge Point, causing the Charge Point not to be registered on Our system as available, and requiring Us to send an operative to reset the Charge Point. £20 ²
Actually, Source London's terms and conditions are quite hilarious. It also implies that vehicles build before 2016 are not compatible with their service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.