Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It’s very rare I use a public charger, but I forgot to charge yesterday, so I was down near 23% and thought I’d use some Pod-Point credit at my local Lidl. I have the 40kWh leaf, and the Pod-Point has a 50kW charger. My question is, should I expect to get near the 50kW power? I was the only car charging, but it seemed to hover around the 25kW mark despite the car being nowhere near 80% charged. Looking at the Pod-Point receipt I added 18.47kW in 31 mins, which is only 35.75 kW per hour, or 30% slower than advertised. I know that most companies charge more for faster charging, so are they accountable if speeds aren’t met? Is this a common experience, or does my car have a problem. And no, I haven’t recently ‘Supercharged’, so battery was not hot.
I’m an infrequent user, so I’m not really bothered tbh, just wondered if it’s a common thing!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
how cold was your battery? I'll presume stone cold as its your local Lidl? Cold batteries don't charge as quickly. The leaf has zero active battery cooling or heating either so I wouldn't expect miracles, you'll have experienced what's know as #coldgate. Affects many cars with no active battery thermal control.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40kW Tekna
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how cold was your battery? I'll presume stone cold as its your local Lidl? Cold batteries don't charge as quickly. The leaf has zero active battery cooling or heating either so I wouldn't expect miracles, you'll have experienced what's know as #coldgate. Affects many cars with no active battery thermal control.
I’d just driven 20 miles home from work, so the car was in the Goldilocks zone. Quite a mild day too. Like I say, I charge to 80% at home (when I remember!) so it’s not an issue. Just wondered if fellow Leaf owners were getting higher speeds, or is it a dodgy Pod-Point, or do I have a car problem? Also, as the faster the charger the more it costs per kW, I’d be miffed if I were a high mile driver with time constraints, not getting the service advertised.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
It’s very rare I use a public charger, but I forgot to charge yesterday, so I was down near 23% and thought I’d use some Pod-Point credit at my local Lidl. I have the 40kWh leaf, and the Pod-Point has a 50kW charger. My question is, should I expect to get near the 50kW power? I was the only car charging, but it seemed to hover around the 25kW mark despite the car being nowhere near 80% charged. Looking at the Pod-Point receipt I added 18.47kW in 31 mins, which is only 35.75 kW per hour, or 30% slower than advertised. I know that most companies charge more for faster charging, so are they accountable if speeds aren’t met? Is this a common experience, or does my car have a problem. And no, I haven’t recently ‘Supercharged’, so battery was not hot.
I’m an infrequent user, so I’m not really bothered tbh, just wondered if it’s a common thing! View attachment 137408
Actually they are not advertised as a 50kW charger. They are capable of outputting 120 Amps IF your car can accept the same.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
How old is the LEAF? Early ones needed a software update to fix #RapidGate issues, which does improve speeds a small amount on the first charge, but makes even more of a difference on subsequent charges - not that this is an issue for you.

The 40kWh model simply isn't a fast charging car though. Even in the best of conditions it's not likely to get anywhere near 50kW charge speeds for very long. Something will always be too hot, or too cold to achieve it due to the lack of thermal management and a charge curve that slows you down quite early.

I don't think that there's really a fault with car or charger, but rather your car working as designed, as disappointing as that may be to hear.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've never heard of anyone getting 50kW from a 50kW charger. If anyone has, I hope they will post confirmation.

TBH, I like to think the rating of chargers is related to what they deliver in the same way that broadband contract speed is related to what actually comes down the intertubes.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The only way a Leaf will get 50kW is to connect to a 100kW charger such as one of the new Chargemaster Ultracharger units. No matter what network, all types of 50kW chargers seem to have a lower real level.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I've never heard of anyone getting 50kW from a 50kW charger. If anyone has, I hope they will post confirmation.
The 50kW chargers generally have a current limit of 125A, so even if you have the chargers going at their very limit you would need to have a car which has an exact battery pack voltage of 400V to get the full 50kW being dispensed from the charger. Obviously there will be some losses there so what goes into the battery will be a bit less.

I've seen 48kW on a 50kW Tritium charger once before. But that was rare, definitely not a regular sight. It's generally a fair bit lower at 42-46 from what I have seen with a variety of cars on these chargers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The best I ever got was 45kW.

I suppose my comment would be that those reasons are excellent, but still fall subject to the same strictures I made about broadband "deals". I have an 80 meg broadband deal, but only ever get 25 megs at best. That's because I am a mile (nearly) from the box, and the copper last leg is far from a clean connection. In practice, you would probably need to live with the box at the end of your front garden to get the advertised speed.

At root, these classifications are entirely producer oriented, and almost guaranteed to produce disappointment with the consumer. Well, probably not here, as everyone knows about this, but to someone new to EV's.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,867 Posts
I think we might be on to Software / Hardware definition of what a K implies.
software vendors use 1024
hardware vendors use 1000.

On 50kW charger, max I have seen Leaf 30 is at 43kW however last month I went to BP 150kW and it clocked 47kW on Leaf30.

Low charge speed is likely due to cold battery

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,584 Posts
The only 50kw chargers I see high ie 48kw or so charging are the shell recharge ones. I think I even saw that briefly on the Leaf once. For some reason they seem to be a lot more enthusiastic.

I found the Leaf 40 to be quite a slow charger to be honest. It was often low 40s and high 30s and it would sink down to below 30kw far too soon.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
sixteen thousand kilowatt hours ?!?!
It's a decimal place, not a comma.

The only 50kw chargers I see high ie 48kw or so charging are the shell recharge ones.
They're all Efacec chargers, aren't they? No Shell around me, but the same chargers are used by Chargemaster and Ecotricity around here and they are often painfully slow whenever I try them. Never higher than the mid-high 30s at very best. Interesting that Shell have managed to work some magic if you're seeing such a high number from one of them!

·
Registered
Kona64
1,835 Posts
To the OP Yes it's a common thing that a 50kw charger may not deliver 49.99999 to your car.
Alsorts of car end factors, and charger end items too --- despite no other car being there perhaps the demand in the immediate area of the charger was high and it throttled on what it was giving out.

Likewise the unit having a bad week (hence why someone has suggested checking zapmap/plug share comments, and, why it's a good idea yourself to log in those tools your experience)
It's vexing I agree - ie I got 19kw on 2 visits to a certain Morrisons GeniePoint but 47 at another Morrisons.

Some one coming 10minutes after you might get a different experience. --- my personal view.

Most annoying is if your car can take more than 50 rate in, and you've made a detour to go to a 100/150kw type unit and you only get sub 50 even though your car is under 60% soc . :mad:

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,917 Posts
When I had my 40Kwh LEAF, I used the 50Kw PodPoint charger and LIDL's Whitley, I was always able to achieve 20% to 92% in 45 minutes, (first charge of the day) this was the usual standard to the 40Kwh LEAF, the maximum rate would peak at 43Kw's charging speed.
I think a lot of the 50Kw Podpoints are suffering from wear and tear and consequently are very temperamental, the one at Whitley always, without fail, would cut out after 2 minutes, then after restarting the charge would perform perfectly. Other times it would be completely dead, so if experiencing a slow charge rate, I would blame the Podpoint as being the main culprit and not necessarily the LEAF.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I didn't know this!

So not only are the WLTP figures to be taken with a pinch of salt, the public charging capabilities are as well?

This industry doesn't do itself any favours, does it?

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,867 Posts
I didn't know this!

So not only are the WLTP figures to be taken with a pinch of salt, the public charging capabilities are as well?

This industry doesn't do itself any favours, does it?
There are so many things at play, industry gives you best estimates much like ICE mileage estimate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts