Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought an e Up! nearly a year ago and we love it to pieces BUT it has been back to the supplier 9 times (once for 6 weeks) because of charging difficulties. Finally we took it back and said enough is enough. They then took it back two times more and discovered the reason: If the inbuilt charger control software discovers that it has heated up - then it turns itself off. There is a reset switch, so when it has cooled itself off and you press the switch, it will accept charge again.
But we need to rely on the car being charged every morning so we reported it again to the retailer. Their astonishing response was that the car was OK - it worked to factory requirements - even though 2 out of 5 times it does not complete the charge.
Should we get up regularly in the middle of the night to check whether the car is charging? It is disastrous to get up ready to drive for a site meeting and find you're 'out of gas'!

Has anyone else suffered this and is there a solution?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
We bought an e Up! nearly a year ago and we love it to pieces BUT it has been back to the supplier 9 times (once for 6 weeks) because of charging difficulties. Finally we took it back and said enough is enough. They then took it back two times more and discovered the reason: If the inbuilt charger control software discovers that it has heated up - then it turns itself off. There is a reset switch, so when it has cooled itself off and you press the switch, it will accept charge again.
But we need to rely on the car being charged every morning so we reported it again to the retailer. Their astonishing response was that the car was OK - it worked to factory requirements - even though 2 out of 5 times it does not complete the charge.
Should we get up regularly in the middle of the night to check whether the car is charging? It is disastrous to get up ready to drive for a site meeting and find you're 'out of gas'!

Has anyone else suffered this and is there a solution?
That sounds frankly ridiculous! The least that an electric car should do is accept 1 charge per day.....

·
Registered
499 Posts
This sounds peculiar. Ask the dealer why it is getting so hot. Are you keeping it in a heated garage?
Perhaps the temperature sensor is faulty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is kept on a normal, quiet London street. Volkswagen have upgraded the software more than once but they do not tell you exactly what they have done and why. They have just told us that the reason for it to stop charging was because it is designed to cut off if it becomes too hot.
We DO NOT KNOW for a certain that heat actually was the reason. There is nothing to tell you what has happened during the night, except that if you reset it - it starts again as it should.

There must be other e-UP! with similar problems. Please reply.....

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The car is kept on a normal, quiet London street. Volkswagen have upgraded the software more than once but they do not tell you exactly what they have done and why. They have just told us that the reason for it to stop charging was because it is designed to cut off if it becomes too hot.
We DO NOT KNOW for a certain that heat actually was the reason. There is nothing to tell you what has happened during the night, except that if you reset it - it starts again as it should.

There must be other e-UP! with similar problems. Please reply.....
Something isn't right with it if it is doing this on a regular basis. This warrants an inspection by a third party, as it sounds like your dealer is fobbing you off.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Are you relying on the M&M screen to make it charge at a particular time or just plugging it in in the evening hoping that it will charge immediately and for all night ?

Even if you're not using the M&M, it's perhaps worth checking that there isn't some setting in place that turns it off at (say) 2am. I don't think the M&M actually needs to be in place : I believe it just instructs car's own computer system what to do and could even be removed without cancelling those instruction(s).

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
What do you mean by the M&M screen?
As supermegamonkee said, it's the Maps & More device. In other Up! models it's an optional extra and mainly used as a satnav & Bluetooth interface but in the e-Up! it also has an essential role in the charging process.

Using it, you can tell the car's computer what current you want it to draw and when you want to draw it. Even if you don't think you're actually using it, it may possibly be that the car's computer has 'remembered' some settings from last time it was used - for instance if you once (accidentally ?) told it never to charge above 20% then put the M&M back in glovebox and never touched it again that instruction would have stayed in force.

·
Registered
514 Posts
As supermegamonkee said, it's the Maps & More device. In other Up! models it's an optional extra and mainly used as a satnav & Bluetooth interface but in the e-Up! it also has an essential role in the charging process.

Using it, you can tell the car's computer what current you want it to draw and when you want to draw it. Even if you don't think you're actually using it, it may possibly be that the car's computer has 'remembered' some settings from last time it was used - for instance if you once (accidentally ?) told it never to charge above 20% then put the M&M back in glovebox and never touched it again that instruction would have stayed in force.
Interesting! I need to take a closer look at my M&M as I've never noticed anything regarding charging on it!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
errr... why would you only want 10~15 miles range out of an EV?
I can't imagine anyone doing it on purpose - hence me including the word 'accidentally' ! The thing does have some very confusing procedures and such an accident is quite plausible.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Interesting! I need to take a closer look at my M&M as I've never noticed anything regarding charging on it!
It has an on-board manual and Chapter 11.4 (starting on page 119 describes these functions :-

11.4 Applications for electric vehicles

11.4.1 Opening the applications for electric vehicles

1. If necessary, tap on (Main menu) to open the START

window.

2. In the START window, tap on Car info > EV interface.

The last active application for electric vehicles will open.

At the bottom edge of the screen is a button showing the name of

the active application: e-manager, Power flow or Energy recovery.

► Tap on this button to open one of the non-active applications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts