Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this fault while charging? Look a the miles per hour display in the bottom left.

I had to try four attempts of plugging & unplugging my car last night to finally get it to start charging properly. Each time, it started to charge for a short while then either did the above or had the alternating red & pulsing green light on the charge port (manual says cable or charger fault). I know it was properly plugged in, I heard a click from both the charger and the car as they connected. I can see on the Pod-Point app that the car definitely accepted a small amount of charge before stopping (0.1, 0.3, 0.1 kWh on the first three attempts). I also know my Pod-Point charger is definitely fine, it's been faultlessly charging 2 eGolfs for over a year. I have successfully charged this car a couple of times too. We've never had any kind of charging issue with it.

This isn't such a huge problem on a home charger (provided you notice at the time & it's not on a timed charge overnight), but if this were on a public charger there could either be a case of multiple started charges costing extra for the minimum fee or the DC charger just refusing to charge at all after multiple fails.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
86 Posts
Looks like you are on version 2.0 (0783). I am on 0564 and not seen this.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been out to use up some juice after the full charge last night & to test this again. Still doing it, so it definitely wasn't a one-off. My list of issues for the dealer is getting longer by the day...

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
Mine acted strangely last night when I started the remote heating. I was plugged in the granny charger at work, started the preheat to save battery power but the light beside the charge port went red. I tried unplugging and plugging in again a few times age or was green for a few seconds then went red. Eventually it stayed green but I think the heating had switched off by this point and I was heading home anyway so didn't leave it much longer.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While my car is at the dealer, I've just tried to plug in my son's Life. He gets a whole different set of errors and issues than my car. After multiple plug/unplugs his car cycles through various issues:
  • Error on screen - Unable to fully charge vehicle. Consult vehicle wallet
  • Charging light pulsing amber - This isn't in the manual, anyone seen this?
  • The "charging is limited" message (I forget the wording)
Right now it's plugged in & charging at 18mph but the light is flashing amber. I can't find any reference on this forum or the Facebook group of anyone mentioning an amber (or yellow) charging light.

The charger is clearly supplying power and is in no way "smart", so I can only conclude that we both have different issues with the charging system in the cars. As I said in my OP, the charger has been faultless on 2 eGolfs since we got it. Just in case, I have tried different Type 2 cables. This made no difference.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
While my car is at the dealer, I've just tried to plug in my son's Life. He gets a whole different set of errors and issues than my car. After multiple plug/unplugs his car cycles through various issues:
  • Error on screen - Unable to fully charge vehicle. Consult vehicle wallet
  • Charging light pulsing amber - This isn't in the manual, anyone seen this?
  • The "charging is limited" message (I forget the wording)
Right now it's plugged in & charging at 18mph but the light is flashing amber. I can't find any reference on this forum or the Facebook group of anyone mentioning an amber (or yellow) charging light.

The charger is clearly supplying power and is in no way "smart", so I can only conclude that we both have different issues with the charging system in the cars. As I said in my OP, the charger has been faultless on 2 eGolfs since we got it. Just in case, I have tried different Type 2 cables. This made no difference.
Isn't amber the alert for emergency charge being carried out?

I know your charge point was happy with the e-Golfs but they seemed happy plugged into anything, but 2 x ID.3s playing up seems too much of a coincidence?

Where does your son charge his car usually, does it throw the same errors?

I know this doesn’t help you, but my car has been bullet proof with regard to charging. Even my old e-Golf used to take 2 or 3 attempts to get started on my OHME, whereas the ID just connects and gets on with it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't amber the alert for emergency charge being carried out?
I can't find any reference at all to the light having any kind of amber setting. Not in the manual, and the word "amber" doesn't even come up in a search on here or the UK Facebook group (until now)...

I know your charge point was happy with the e-Golfs but they seemed happy plugged into anything, but 2 x ID.3s playing up seems too much of a coincidence?

Where does your son charge his car usually, does it throw the same errors?
We've only had them a week. His car has only been charged once before today, which worked fine (although he didn't check the light). My car has needed multiple attempts at plugging in every time so far, but eventually gets to the point of having the pulsing green charge light.

I guess I'll take my son's car to an AC point somewhere locally later to see if it's any different (mine is at the dealer).

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
I can't find any reference at all to the light having any kind of amber setting. Not in the manual, and the word "amber" doesn't even come up in a search on here or the UK Facebook group (until now)...

We've only had them a week. His car has only been charged once before today, which worked fine (although he didn't check the light). My car has needed multiple attempts at plugging in every time so far, but eventually gets to the point of having the pulsing green charge light.

I guess I'll take my son's car to an AC point somewhere locally later to see if it's any different (mine is at the dealer).
You’re right, I can’t find any reference to Orange lights, maybe it’s this reference in the manual that I’m remembering, Red and Green flashing equals an emergency charge.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the red/green is what I get on my car (sometimes)...

This is partly why I think it's not the charger at fault. The symptoms are completely different on each of our cars & both do accept a charge eventually after multiple attempts. As it's a dumb charger, it either provides power or it doesn't. Each time I plug in, I can hear the charger click on. In the app, it also shows power has been consumed. Though it doesn't have any live stats, just per-charge history. So right now I have a bunch of 0.1, 0.3 etc kWh entries from being plugged & out so much.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
86 Posts
What I found is that the red/green pulsing light can occur if a type 2 charger is not seated properly. Sometimes you may need to remove the ccs plug to get the type 2 connector to lock properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts