Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a week into my iPace and starting to come up with some issues, not necessarily car-related.

Just pulled up at my nearest Rapid (ChargeYourCar). One of the two bays was free, and the CCS connector was available. Frustrated to discover that the tethered CCS cable is too short to reach the charging socket on the LH wing of the car. Nose in, won't reach across the width. Tail in, won't reach forwards enough.

So my question is this. Is a short cable a normal feature of a Rapid? If so, have to wonder why Jaguar put the socket where they did.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a week into my iPace and starting to come up with some issues, not necessarily car-related.

Just pulled up at my nearest Rapid (ChargeYourCar). One of the two bays was free, and the CCS connector was available. Frustrated to discover that the tethered CCS cable is too short to reach the charging socket on the LH wing of the car. Nose in, won't reach across the width. Tail in, won't reach forwards enough.

So my question is this. Is a short cable a normal feature of a Rapid? If so, have to wonder why Jaguar put the socket where they did.
Jaguar is not the only company to put their charging port in that place.
Why not complain to the Charging Company.
I've charged at a few CYC Chargers with my I-Pace and not had a problem. Where was this charger?
The worst place for cable length was the Ionity Charger at Milton Keynes. The Gretna ones are much better.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pioneers of non-Tesla EV's in the mainstream placed the ports in the most logical position for nose and side on parking. Car manufacturers putting them in alternate locations, on the sides of the vehicle is just them trying to make themselves stand out from the mainstream, and this they do, they can't charge! It all seems rather odd, JLR presumably make LH and RH charging cars, for different markets, had they put it on the nose, it would work everywhere!

EDITED: Complaining to charger companies will likely result in no action, they can't afford for cable to be left dangling on the floor so the cable length will be dictated by the height of the charger, and the cable exit point. Presumably they have already maxed this out. I'm completely ignoring the possibility the kerbside may have been moved since the charger was installed.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Polar rapid chargers seem to have shorter cables compared to their competitors. They generally have the rapid positioned at the front of 2 parking spots, so even with a charging port at the front, I always have to ensure I'm parked right up to the kerb edge to ensure the cable reaches.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like this IS a thing then.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
There are several good technical reasons to keep the cable as short as possible, but it seems pretty silly that some suppliers didn't do the most basic of checks on what a minimum useful length is.

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
There are several good technical reasons to keep the cable as short as possible, but it seems pretty silly that some suppliers didn't do the most basic of checks on what a minimum useful length is.
Most of these charge points were designed before the iPace and eTron came out.

I'd question the manufacturers as to what research the carried out in the design of their cars.

Oh yeah, I remember now. They said 'charging networks aren't our problem'.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Last time I used the rapid at Brislington Park and Ride (now currently out of service but that's another story), I parked at first in the right hand bay. I then had to move the car to the left hand bay because the CHAdeMO cable wouldn't reach. And that's with a car where the port is central at the front.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Seems ridiculous to me that manufacturers put the charge port on one side of the vehicle only, meaning only being able to use a rapid if the “correct” bay of the two is available.

Having owned a Leaf and a Soul EV, both with charge ports in the centre of the bonnet I don’t understand why this would not be a universal approach. Either that or have two charge ports on each side of the vehicle.

It’s the usual manufacturer arrogance that shows they don’t really care about the little details that actually have a major impact on daily life with their vehicle. It’s certainly enough of an issue that I’d think twice about buying a BEV that did not have a central charge port.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Manufacturers should have figured out that many people charge at home, often in a garage, where a side-mounted charge point is pretty much always going to be less convenient than a front one.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can see it was a combo of no standards for charger or port location so some times it doesn't match up very well.

My i3 was a stretch on a couple of occasions as I had to use "public" rapid chargers. Now the Tesla port is convenient for the Supercharger locations but now doesn't match my home Fast charger location as it was fitted for the i3. As that is used daily it's more of a pain but mostly because I have to shimmy behind the car to plug in the connector.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Partly the UK planning system has a limit on the height of rapid chargers, if they are over the limit then full planning promission is needed. And the cable length is chosen so the plud does not get damagec on the ground.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
It’s the usual manufacturer arrogance that shows they don’t really care about the little details
In a way it may actually be because of this. Having a port in the nose means having a hatch there and for the high end manufacturers that would spoil the look of their precious styling, of which that front end is the most vital part.
Given the price point of those you'd think they'd put a port on each side.

On a practical aspect in the event of a collision a front port is of course more vulnerable, but really daily convenience outweighs that in my book.

·
Registered
469 Posts
That’s what I mean by arrogance - let the styling take priority over practical solutions that will negatively impact users almost every day of ownership.

Or it’s just backwards thinking - there’s a fuel filler panel on our ICE vehicles on the side so let’s put the electric “filler” in the same place, completely missing the point about how you access most charge points.

·
Registered
159 Posts
IMO the main issue is cable length, not port position. I understand that the shortest length possible is desirable though for a few reasons as highlighted above. Still, a 4m cable should cover all orientations I can quickly imagine? This would be pretty heavy on some water cooled cable High Powered Chargers though!

No matter where you position the port, it is a compromise in some form.

I'm not a fan of front ports as they require you to drive in to a space, rather than reverse in. Reverse parking is safer and is required when parking in some places (Network Rail sites and many others). Its also more vulnerable to damage in an accident.

Side ports can also be an issue with bays parallel to the road and tight parking bays due it sticking out quite a bit.

But unless manufacturers can agree a standard location and charger installers accommodate this, its going to be a issue sometimes unless cable lengths are increased to suit. Both of these things are unlikely though so until chargers are everywhere and you have more choice, it would be prudent to check chargers out beforehand on Plugshare or Zap-Map to make sure they'll work for you.

Reactions: ringi

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
In a way it may actually be because of this. Having a port in the nose means having a hatch there and for the high end manufacturers that would spoil the look of their precious styling, of which that front end is the most vital part.
Well, I don't think they took that into account when they designed the Lexus RX. (But of course it doesn't need a port either because it charges itself by magic.)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Strange, isn't it. Most petrol pumps have very long hoses, reaching to both sides of the car, and don't seem to have problems with the nozzles hanging on the ground.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Strange, isn't it. Most petrol pumps have very long hoses, reaching to both sides of the car, and don't seem to have problems with the nozzles hanging on the ground.
Most petrol pump are larger than chargers with much of that space taken up with hose management. And hoses are easyer to make then high powered cables.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts