Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Strange, isn't it. Most petrol pumps have very long hoses, reaching to both sides of the car, and don't seem to have problems with the nozzles hanging on the ground.
They are very tall though and it has been mentioned that there are height limits involved in planning permissions (I don't know if that is true, but it sounds likely).

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Sometimes even with a charge port in the nose it can be a pain. Some Polars are now Side on to the parking space along main streets instead of towards the end corner of a space.
A hotel in birmingham has a similar arrangement just off the motorway and is a PITA

·
Registered
9 Posts
IMO the main issue is cable length, not port position. I understand that the shortest length possible is desirable though for a few reasons as highlighted above. Still, a 4m cable should cover all orientations I can quickly imagine? This would be pretty heavy on some water cooled cable High Powered Chargers though!

No matter where you position the port, it is a compromise in some form.

I'm not a fan of front ports as they require you to drive in to a space, rather than reverse in. Reverse parking is safer and is required when parking in some places (Network Rail sites and many others). Its also more vulnerable to damage in an accident.

Side ports can also be an issue with bays parallel to the road and tight parking bays due it sticking out quite a bit.

But unless manufacturers can agree a standard location and charger installers accommodate this, its going to be a issue sometimes unless cable lengths are increased to suit. Both of these things are unlikely though so until chargers are everywhere and you have more choice, it would be prudent to check chargers out beforehand on Plugshare or Zap-Map to make sure they'll work for you.
This, in my country of origin, very few people park with head in, and it will be an automatic fail in driving exam. I always reverse in 99% of time, even in my garage, that make front charging the worst idea for me, and also one of the factor I drop GTE, A3 in favour of i3.

It should be the charging station manufacturer that should have consider all scenarios of side and front charging just like filling up in petrol station

·
Registered
943 Posts
Highway Code
Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

As has been said, nose mounted charging points encourage unsafe practices. Charge points should be on the rear-wings of cars.

Worst location is front wing, but unfortunately seems to be chosen location for many PHEVs (Ampera, 330e, Volvo, Mini etc).

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Highway Code
Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

As has been said, nose mounted charging points encourage unsafe practices. Charge points should be on the rear-wings of cars.

Worst location is front wing, but unfortunately seems to be chosen location for many PHEVs (Ampera, 330e, Volvo, Mini etc).
To be fair i've only seen one charge point that makes you reverse into anything close to a main road once you complete your charge. the rest are all in carparks or private offroad areas.

Personally i accept that like cars, chargers cant appeal or be suitable for everyone so have to go with what they can to cover the bases and the cables used are not cheap. the higher rated ones over 100kw tend to have cooling circuits in as well so cost goes up even more. Rapid stations like Ionity and Fastned have sorted this out by going back to a petrol pump design

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
In most shopping car parks it is normal to park nose in. If you're buying more than a bottle of milk it can be kinda hard to put stuff in the boot if you reverse in.
The (widely ignored) recommendations about not reversing onto main roads are nice, but given the speeds in car parks are just not relevant.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I stopped at a Polar location at a Holiday Inn on the M6 yesterday, 2 x spaces side by side and the charger mounted to the rear left side of the left space, so the 2nd space is actually completely pointless. A Leaf just started charging in the left space meant I carried on anyway. Got a charhge at Eon a but further up the motorway. Expensive and the App was a faff to set up, but 2 large bays, 1 charger per bay centrally located and long cables. 150 kW units as well (not that it matters for me with an i3).

·
Registered
943 Posts
To be fair i've only seen one charge point that makes you reverse into anything close to a main road once you complete your charge. the rest are all in carparks or private offroad areas.
You're seemingly ignoring the fact that many chargers use the same location as your type 2 port, which means this also applies to people charging at home and moving off their driveways.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I don't have Type 2 so have a different port for charging rapidly :p
On a side note i'd agree with you but the amount of eejits that live near me and have a driveway you could get at least 5 cars on and they still drive nose in and them bum out when leaving the driveway makes it a moot point. Even those with a garage they can fit a car in still often go in nose first.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts