Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. One of the features that I have been crying out for is the ability to set the cruise control to the current speed. The latest 2020.36 update has enabled this by touching the current speed display while in cruise control...

BUT.....

...in the process they have made it so that every time you engage Cruise/Autopilot it always sets the speed to (what it thinks is) the current speed limit. That means every time I disengage autopilot temporarily and then reengage it, it reverts to the speed limit, not the speed I set it to. This means I have to manually set the speed every time. This is especially frustrating if I'm driving through roadworks for example. Is this only me? Am I missing something? Am I going mad?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That’s what it’s always done. Why are you switching it off anywhere that isn’t a junction anyway?

It can stay engaged while switching lanes and deals with traffic situations perfectly well by itself. The auto steer is dodgy AF but the ACC is solid.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
2020.36.10 has many issues....! I did a long drive on a nice sunny day and thought it was great. But after a bit more time with it... it is the first release that's made me genuinely p*ssed off.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
2020.36.10 has many issues....! I did a long drive on a nice sunny day and thought it was great. But after a bit more time with it... it is the first release that's made me genuinely p*ssed off.
What issues have you found?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi All. One of the features that I have been crying out for is the ability to set the cruise control to the current speed. The latest 2020.36 update has enabled this by touching the current speed display while in cruise control...

BUT.....

...in the process they have made it so that every time you engage Cruise/Autopilot it always sets the speed to (what it thinks is) the current speed limit. That means every time I disengage autopilot temporarily and then reengage it, it reverts to the speed limit, not the speed I set it to. This means I have to manually set the speed every time. This is especially frustrating if I'm driving through roadworks for example. Is this only me? Am I missing something? Am I going mad?
Yes you are going mad...and so am I. Cruise control is a pain in the A... There was nothing wrong with the long established "set it where I want it" system.

·
Registered
496 Posts
There was nothing wrong with the long established "set it where I want it" system.
Correct, it should set cruise at the speed you are doing when you switch it on.

Maybe there is an edge case for allowing the user to touch the displayed speed limit to set that instead...

But whatever, there is no reason why the driving settings couldn't give you the choice between the two.

While we are on choices, why must I choose to display either SoC % or estimated range, there is lots of room to show both. Again, easy to add to the current option menu to be A, B or A&B

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
  • Driving out of London on the A3 at dusk on AP used to be smooth. Now, the car keeps phantom braking, not just for the bridges, but all over the place
  • Navigate on AP: accept recommendation to change lane from L3 to L2. If there is a slow moving car in L1 then AP refuses to overtake it. This might be a LHD/RHD bug
  • Indicators - wtaf is going on with these. Small corrections before the turn now deactivate the turn signal. The roundabout bug is still there: i.e. taking 3rd exit at a roundabout, so indicate right, approach exit, indicate left. This switches the indicator off instead of indicating left.
  • Emergency steering has activated twice, neither time was necessary. If you are moving from L2 to L3 to give someone in L1 space to overtake, and they move into a space that you would have occupied if you hadn't been moving to L3, then it triggers
  • The "impact alarm" - where the system thinks you are going to hit another car and highlights it in red while beeping madly - has a lag, so kicks in after you have already changed course.

That's all I can remember for now.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Have they fixed the issue where it drives into parked cars yet?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
It's very rough now. Before it if saw some street furniture or a parked car, it'd slow down. Now it slams the anchors on and brakes hard. I've stopped using TACC on my drive home because I'm going to get rear ended if that happens at the wrong moment.

The whole not engaging at the current speed thing I just can't understand. It has zero downsides.. it's how every other car works.. so WTF are Tesla playing at?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I simply drive the car, like we used to, no automatic anything.

The car cannot be trusted on it's own.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Then why bother with a Tesla? :) There are far better, cheaper EVs out there if you don’t want AP...

@Tony Hoyle at least yours doesn’t try to squeeze past them and tear parts off itself 🤣

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Then why bother with a Tesla? :) There are far better, cheaper EVs out there if you don’t want AP...

@Tony Hoyle at least yours doesn’t try to squeeze past them and tear parts off itself 🤣
Cheaper maybe. Better no.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I simply drive the car, like we used to, no automatic anything.

The car cannot be trusted on it's own.
I like using TACC or Autopilot every chance I get. I'm aware of the limitations of the system but I enjoy the assistance it gives me. Sometimes I say to myself "You should drive the car yourself more, enjoy it!" And I do it for a few moments, but on the "boring" roads I usually drive I found out that I enjoy more supervising Autopilot than trying to keep myself within the lanes. On twisting roads, sure, it's really fun driving the car.

One of many good things about Tesla is that they invest a lot on improving the system, so maybe in a future software update Autopilot will become so good on UK roads that it might change the mind of even the most die hard no automation driver.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a Tesla for many reasons & 'not driving' it wasn’t one of them.

I still get more pleasure from actually steering & accelerating. It’s the easiest, most enjoyable & stress reducing vehicle that I’ve ever owned, much more so when I’m actually in control.

...I appreciate that others prefer the car to be (sort of) doing that instead of them.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Cheaper maybe. Better no.
I really must have got a duff one. Least reliable car I’ve ever had in my possession, including my old overheating MX5 - at least that was predictable!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I really must have got a duff one. Least reliable car I’ve ever had in my possession, including my old overheating MX5 - at least that was predictable!
It seems that you did. I have not had any significant issues and a few trim rattles were sorted quickly by the service centre.

·
Registered
230 Posts
In the model3 it has always engaged at what it think the speed limit is. Keep your foot on the accelerator when engaging auto pilot adjust the speed with your scroll wheel (or touch screen if that is showing the correct limit), and then let go. Problem solved. Though many people including myself think there should simply be a toggle to engage at the current speed or speed limit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Warns about hazards too early but you can lower the setting to medium, tacc issues above and the fact it only works on "local roads" whatever they are, so I am tapping screen and nothing happening. Tacc also seems to have started missing 30 mph limits...so you get accelerated up to 40 or 50 instead. Auto headlights seem less responsive to coming back to high beam after car has passed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts