Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige. Volvo XC90
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installation of my Octopus / EO charge point has just been completed.

Here's some feedback;
Easy installation as short cable runs, the unit around the mains tails that monitors load is little untidy.
EO point is discreet and smart looking.
The LED on the EO point is very small (good) but also virtually impossible to see in day light (bad).
The EO app took a long time to register and crashed twice.
Car is currently plugged in and charging, however, the app has not recognised this?!?

The EO unit is very nice and I would recommend this if you are after a smart yet discreet/small unit or space is limited. However, the app is definitely work in progress.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
Nice branding of the 馃悪 on the EO Mini, but oh, that cable exit from the brickwork! o_O

Were the Hemley blocks already fitted?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice branding of the 馃悪 on the EO Mini, but oh, that cable exit from the brickwork! o_O

Were the Hemley blocks already fitted?
The cable exit looks worse than it is, the brick isn't blown as it enters via the motor and the dust needs cleaning. I have some SWA cleats and might fit one over the cable.

The Henley block was installed today.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
I have some SWA cleats and might fit one over the cable.
Anything to stop the cable directing water into the hole even if it has been filled with silicone.

Registered
Looks good! We have had one for just over a year now. Our installer made a really neat job of bringing the cable in underneath the unit so it's hidden.

You're right about the app it is absolutely pants! Ours ignores the scheduled times. It starts and stop charging every few minutes with the car beeping and charging lights flashing. So I've ditched it and just use the car's timer.

Coincidentally, I emailed the MD at EO as it is almost 3 months since I raised this issue directly with them and nothing has happened, despite being told I'd either need a firmware update or new unit.

It's a great looking plug socket though. Pity about the app and technical support.

Does you have the same start/stop issues when in "smart" charging? Hopefully not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The EO is connected to my WiFi (checked in the Google WiFi App list) yet the EO App says it isn't!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have spent an hour on the phone to EO technical, we got the app working (y)
Then did a firmware update for the unit and the app failed to connect with my WiFi and EO lost connection in there system.
Tried lots of things but no joy. EO suspect a fault with the units WiFi, so are booking for the installation company to return and investigate or replace.

When the app worked, it was very good.

I will update when I know more.

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
I've got the EO Mini Pro 2 which replaced an EO SMART HOME.
The socket design is neat, though the tethered version has no cable hook.
The app is useless and EO don't have the technical skills to fix it. Typical UK cottage industry!
The Wallbox Pulsar seems a better & cheaper device.
All of these are far too expensive for what they are, 拢600 buys a pretty good TV or PC. How can a socket, controller and an MCB cost this much?
Yes I know about open PEN & DC blocking protection.
The EO requires an external open PEN protection device from Garo. The earlier ones used a matt:e box which was so badly made I doubt it would pass any certification tests.
Luckily my car has charge scheduling so I don't use the EO app at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they (EO) or the installation company can't get it working after 3 attempts, I'll refuse the unit as Not Fit For Purpose.

I'd like to use the app for 拢拢 monitoring, locking the unit and the facility to start charging outside an off peak tariff.

Registered
2021 BMW 530e
I can't say I've had quite as many problems with the EO app as everyone else seems to have, although I do agree it's far from perfect. However, earlier today I was offering some requirements and feedback on a mock-up, to a company working for EO to redo the app.

So a replacement app is on its way. Not necessarily imminent (if they are still nailing down the requirements now), but something to look forward to.

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
If they (EO) or the installation company can't get it working after 3 attempts, I'll refuse the unit as Not Fit For Purpose.

I'd like to use the app for 拢拢 monitoring, locking the unit and the facility to start charging outside an off peak tariff.
I lock the unit by turning it off at the dedicated MCB!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EO have just called, they are sending an engineer out Monday.

Will update after that.

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
I lock the unit by turning it off at the dedicated MCB!
That's not what an MCB is designed for and may have a limited life being used as such.

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
That's not what an MCB is designed for and may have a limited life being used as such.
Thanks, I did wonder about that.
I would only flip the MCB when we are away on holiday and only with the car unplugged.
So not switching any current...

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
can't they bring the cable in through the rear of the unit so you can't see it outside?
No, they require the use of a plastic compression fitting to waterproof the hole around the cable so want it fitted to the bottom of the unit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
update
Last night the unit did not charge the car.

I have tried again this morning but charging stopped after a few minutes.

Plugging the cable in and nothing happens. Turning power off to the EO unit then back on, it engages and charges for 2-3min then stops and the LED flashes Red 3 times.:mad:

The granny charger is working fine and currently charging the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts