Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News in from Norway via the MG ZS EV facebook group that a number of small software updates are being applied. Credit to Maximilian Schikora

A number of users have these updates already.

1. Outside temp show next to clock on Entertainment screen.
2. No more startup bongs
3. Changed bong to a quiet dinging noise.
4. Entertainment screen update that will result in quick response and less crashing.

Also some mention about a user accessible battery preconditioning option to get car ready for rapid charging. But that detail appears to have disappeared.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Zoe Devotee
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Video clip of new sound is on Facebook video, lifes too short to record the recording and stick on youtube for those unwilling to sign up to facebook. Its more of a dull harp pling than a full on bing bong now.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more updates. Charging update, and preheating battery update.

Mark van Tubergen

Author
Other info I can find of the coming updates:
«
----------------
Thanks for the good feedback.
As you know, software updates are coming.
  • Manual preheating of battery update comes over summer + upgrade of charging function.
  • Pling and plong reducing software is under test and coming soon. »
Regards MG Norway
Source:
«
----------------
Takk for god tilbakemelding.
Som kjent kommer det oppdateringer av programvare.
  • Manuell forvarming av batteri oppdatering kommer over sommeren + oppgradering av ladefunksjonen.
  • Pling og plong reduserende programvare er under testing og kommer snart.»
Hilsen MG Norge

·
Zoe Devotee
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More updates incoming.

Screenshot_20200526_232431_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would have thought remaining miles (GOM) and even better, remaining battery percentage displayed permanently on the entertainment screen would have been a priority.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why? HV battery charge state is permanently displayed on the instrument binnacle in analogue form, supported by a two stage low charge warning, and Range to Empty is always available at the flick of a switch. And can be permanently displayed in the info panel if desired.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone know when and if these updates are coming to the UK? And how MGUK handles this type of thing? Recall? Chargeable work? Wait until your annual service?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Manual battery pre-heat would add 5-10 miles winter range I expect which is a significant gain.

The battery gauge is far from analogue - it is digital, and 8-bit at that 😉

Seeing 2 battery bars and not knowing if it means 25% or 36% isn't brilliant.

And GOMs are far from infallible.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Does anyone know when and if these updates are coming to the UK? And how MGUK handles this type of thing? Recall? Chargeable work? Wait until your annual service?

Just wondering.
My guess would be at annual service time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, if you're going to be picky, it's graphical. It certainly isn't a digital display, lacking the essential quality of digits... ;) And it's four bit anyway, as it only counts up to eight. Thankfully, MG resisted any temptation to display the state of charge in an 8-bit binary code.:eek:

No, GOMs aren't 100% reliable - they can't be. Sadly, I haven't had enough opportunity to drive our ZS to see how good or bad this one is. It appears to respond to recent driving conditions and styles, but that opinion is on the basis of precisely two out-of-town journeys.:cry:

But how does it help to know the state of charge digitally? If you're driving, rather than charging (when the information is available digitally) the question you actually want answered is "How far can I drive before I'm on a flat bed truck?" And your only source of information to answer that is the GOM. Knowing that you have 27% charge doesn't help. The GOM takes that 27% charge, stirs it in with available information about recent achieved driving performance and makes a best estimate. Might be 20 miles if you're driving like a lunatic in the teeth of an icy storm with the heating on full. Might be 40 miles or more if you're ambling about on a warm summer's day.

I just don't understand how knowing the state of charge to within a percent helps. Even if it's accurate, instead of just precise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My guess would be at annual service time.
Yes, sadly, that's what I thought. I seem to remember being told that "applying updates" was part of the annual service. I suppose if one of the updates is to preserve battery health we might strike lucky.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why? HV battery charge state is permanently displayed on the instrument binnacle in analogue form, supported by a two stage low charge warning, and Range to Empty is always available at the flick of a switch. And can be permanently displayed in the info panel if desired.
It should be displayed as a percentage. It is not ideal that the only way an actual percentage figure can be obtained is to open the boot while the car is charging and look in the window, daft! The idea you have to flick a dedicated switch to view the GOM is also daft as you will usually be using another feature and therefore will not want to override this for a permanent GOM to be displayed. If hopefully we seem to be able to get a permanenly displayed temperature, a feature to permanently display the GOM is not much to ask or achieve. Given we may be getting software updates to solve the overuse of warning sounds etc it illustrates that the current software was very rushed and not properly beta tested. The software in the far East cars is very different and has complete screens dedicated to charging including histograms displaying various data. It also includes voice operation of radio, electric windows etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why open the boot, I just press the button on the door handle
This then stops charging. The point was why is this the only way to view the battery percentage. Can this not be permanently displayed. We should have this screen as on the Far East versions.

Attachments

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,959 Posts
But how does it help to know the state of charge digitally?
It's slightly more accurate than the GOM to work out remaining range for yourself if you know the percentage left. The GOM will go up or down depending on how you drive, but you know the way you drive and roughly how many miles you can get for a certain percentage and what the road ahead will do to that percentage. Something the GOM doesn't know. You can then say to yourself, if I drive this way I can get so far for this percentage.

I haven't explained it very well, but I used to do it all the time in Zoe. It just became habit.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would have thought remaining miles (GOM) and even better, remaining battery percentage displayed permanently on the entertainment screen would have been a priority.
The GOM remaining range will show in the instrument binacle where the clock currently sits. Opposite the ODO. The time is still displayed on the entertainment screen.

This then stops charging
Only if you go out to the car with your key on you, pressing the button with no key present turns on the binacle display to show charging time/%

1 - 20 of 116 Posts