Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to update the charge points within the SatNav infotainment system - 38kW / 2020 model. I thought that the Hyundai live system would provide the most up to date locations - but it appears not.
Was trying to locate a charge point, but the location in the SatNav was out of date as there was not point in the location i navigated to. Thankfully had a plan b - check Zapmap...
Thanks in advance
Kieren

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's loads around me in the NE England which are out of date or even on private land etc. I actively ignore it now and use a third party map.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you got the latest map? I got my car last month but it still had an out-of-date map on it which I updated yesterday. I haven't used it beyond my local area yet but I did notice that all of the local charge points are now on there (they definitely weren't before).

·
Registered
Ioniq 38, 2021
65 Posts
Have you got the latest map? I got my car last month but it still had an out-of-date map on it which I updated yesterday. I haven't used it beyond my local area yet but I did notice that all of the local charge points are now on there (they definitely weren't before).
My Ioniq 38 is due to arrive next week. Did you update the maps yourself or were you required to take the car to a dealer? If you updated them yourself, how did you do that? Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Ioniq 38 is due to arrive next week. Did you update the maps yourself or were you required to take the car to a dealer? If you updated them yourself, how did you do that? Thanks.
I updated the map (and the head unit firmware) myself. I'll PM you with the details to save cluttering up the thread. (y)

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I requested to have my maps updated when the car was in the dealership in January. However, I thought that the purpose of Hyundai live was to always provide an up to date charge point list - clearly not. For example, I was in Littlehampton and the chargepoint list indicated that there was an Instavolt charge point close by - this wasn’t the case! Don’t understand why the points cannot be updated over the air..

·
Registered
Kona64
1,646 Posts
My dislike / distrust is that it shows the nearest place to my home is .... a Nissan chademo.....
Well done Hyundai, quality control very impressive.....NOT

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
602 Posts
The 38 can't be updated yourself, it's a dealer job as far as I know. I had mine updated, first dealer I used said it could be updated manually, but he was clearly useless.
It's not worth making a special trip to update to be honest, charge points are still out of date and I was on a journey yesterday and several roundabouts which have been there quite a while on my route still weren't showing so it's still out of date!
I don't really like the satnav on it, and since the update it even seems to have lost the "shortest route" option. I generally take the shortest route if the time penalty isn't too great as it 1 uses less electricity and 2 in I'm on a lease so don't want to incur excess mileage!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38, 2021
65 Posts
The 38 can't be updated yourself, it's a dealer job as far as I know. I had mine updated, first dealer I used said it could be updated manually, but he was clearly useless.
It's not worth making a special trip to update to be honest, charge points are still out of date and I was on a journey yesterday and several roundabouts which have been there quite a while on my route still weren't showing so it's still out of date!
I don't really like the satnav on it, and since the update it even seems to have lost the "shortest route" option. I generally take the shortest route if the time penalty isn't too great as it 1 uses less electricity and 2 in I'm on a lease so don't want to incur excess mileage!
Thanks Electrickery, good to know. I now tend to rely on app based navigation as I’ve found them to be more up to date. At the moment my favourite is ABRP which can run through Apple CarPlay now, but each have their (+)ves and (-)ves.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can update it yourself as long as you've got the files and a correctly-formatted USB stick.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Thread diversion - I too am not a fan of the satnav. Ioniq's "shortest route" is nothing like shortest - seems to want to direct you to nearest motorway/A road, and has no concept of useful country lanes at all! Until you actually turn onto one, and even then it likes to try & U-turn you off to a motorway! (Very like Ampera in this respect!).So I've got a Mio on order, have used one sucessfully for 12 years but can't update the maps as it's so old! But I know how to get the routes I want out of it, shortest means shortest even if that's through a farmyard in Peak district! . And it now comes with lifetime map updates of Tom-tom data.So I'll have 2 satnavs in action, I do like the auto zoom-in at slower speeds on the Ioniq's though, so may use that for in-town guidance over next few 100 metres while the other one does the serious planning ahead!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
602 Posts
You can update it yourself as long as you've got the files and a correctly-formatted USB stick.
You can theoretically do any job on a vehicle yourself if you have the correct parts/tools/service manual. Whether it's a good idea or not is a different matter.
Where do you get the files from? I certainly wouldn't be going anywhere near updating firmware on a new car myself, so much potential for it to go wrong, for practically zero gain.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
602 Posts
Thread diversion - I too am not a fan of the satnav. Ioniq's "shortest route" is nothing like shortest - seems to want to direct you to nearest motorway/A road, and has no concept of useful country lanes at all! Until you actually turn onto one, and even then it likes to try & U-turn you off to a motorway! (Very like Ampera in this respect!).So I've got a Mio on order, have used one sucessfully for 12 years but can't update the maps as it's so old! But I know how to get the routes I want out of it, shortest means shortest even if that's through a farmyard in Peak district! . And it now comes with lifetime map updates of Tom-tom data.So I'll have 2 satnavs in action, I do like the auto zoom-in at slower speeds on the Ioniq's though, so may use that for in-town guidance over next few 100 metres while the other one does the serious planning ahead!
Agree, but after the update the shortest route option seems to have disappeared completely.
There's a route from mine to a Sainsbury's I wanted to go to, it is under 11 miles cross country, versus 19miles using fast dual carriageways. Even before the update you couldn't choose the actual shortest route (it gave you a slightly shorter route of about 17 miles, and even if you tried to "force" it by starting off on the cross country route, it tried to take you into the dual carriageway at every single opportunity. Utterly dreadful.
Maybe I just need to add a via point to it when I set off?
My old Garmin from 2007 was better, shortest route on that was quite literally the shortest route.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can theoretically do any job on a vehicle yourself if you have the correct parts/tools/service manual. Whether it's a good idea or not is a different matter.
Where do you get the files from? I certainly wouldn't be going anywhere near updating firmware on a new car myself, so much potential for it to go wrong, for practically zero gain.
That's true but you said you can't do it yourself. I was just saying that you can.

The process is exactly the same whether you do it yourself or take it to a dealer (I watched the dealer perform an update on my first Ioniq - a hybrid that I had a couple of years ago). You plug in the USB stick. If it's correctly formatted and you've got compatible files, the head unit asks you whether you want to perform the update. That's it (believe me, if it was anything more complicated than that, I wouldn't have attempted it :) )

I quite understand if people would prefer to leave this to the dealer. I wasn't recommending doing it; only saying that it is possible and straightforward.

"Practically zero gain"... Hopefully my Ioniq won't be seeing the inside of a dealership for about 12 months. I realised that the maps were already seriously out-of-date when I got the car so I decided to update them now. I wasn't particularly bothered about updating the firmware but I couldn't see a way to just update the maps so I did both. Having the latest maps makes it worth doing, in my opinion.

I haven't done enough miles yet to discover how up-to-date the charging point database is. It knew about the Ionity chargers at Beaconsfield services; I think they're about a year old.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
602 Posts
That's true but you said you can't do it yourself. I was just saying that you can.

The process is exactly the same whether you do it yourself or take it to a dealer (I watched the dealer perform an update on my first Ioniq - a hybrid that I had a couple of years ago). You plug in the USB stick. If it's correctly formatted and you've got compatible files, the head unit asks you whether you want to perform the update. That's it (believe me, if it was anything more complicated than that, I wouldn't have attempted it :) )

I quite understand if people would prefer to leave this to the dealer. I wasn't recommending doing it; only saying that it is possible and straightforward.

"Practically zero gain"... Hopefully my Ioniq won't be seeing the inside of a dealership for about 12 months. I realised that the maps were already seriously out-of-date when I got the car so I decided to update them now. I wasn't particularly bothered about updating the firmware but I couldn't see a way to just update the maps so I did both. Having the latest maps makes it worth doing, in my opinion.

I haven't done enough miles yet to discover how up-to-date the charging point database is. It knew about the Ionity chargers at Beaconsfield services; I think they're about a year old.
Yes it's obviously quite simple as the dealers can do it ;-) but where do you get the files from? They aren't "legitimately" available from what I could see. And then you are in the realms of potentially applying an incorrect firmware version to an incompatible head unit.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 2021 38.3kWh
32 Posts
How did you update?

Reactions: BillTheButcher
1 - 20 of 20 Posts