Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to upgrade from Tesla Model 3 to Kona EV 2022 model.

I have seen posts about the Kona EV OEM tires being very hard and losing traction.

For those who replaced the Kona EV tires, how much range was lost with good road tires vs. a pure eco tire?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you're coming from a model 3 have you thought about looking at the new ioniq 5 or Kia cv6? They look more pricey than Kona too, thought are both rwd/AWD instead of fwd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I have seen posts about the Kona EV OEM tires being very hard and losing traction.
The earlier (UK) cars had Nexens but I believe now have a different brand. US may be different again.
Typically people have changed Nexens for Michelin cross-climates, or a Goodyear one I think, losing 5-10% range ... allegedly.

I say allegedly because these are not scientific tests and other factors like the seasons will play into it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're coming from a model 3 have you thought about looking at the new ioniq 5 or Kia cv6?
From the looks of it, they are priced around $60k. $52k for the Tesla was a stretch for me, $47k after rebates. Kona EV is $46k with all the features other than AWD. $36k after rebates, the average car price in US. Idea is that Tesla after two years and 45k miles"buys" a brand new EV.

I'll wait as long as I can with the mileage to see how the VWID4, Ariya, Ioniq5 and EV6 turn out price wise. They are more advanced than the three year old tech on the Kona.

Want to get out of the Tesla before the warranty is up, hope to sell it with 5,000 in warranty.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I swapped to Michelin Cross Climate Plus, and yes, you will lose maybe 10 miles of range on a full charge. It’s a completely different car though. And if you go with the Michelin Green Energy tyres you lose no range at all.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Michelin Primacy and the range theoretically improves although other factors such as ambient temperature make comparisons difficult. I have one on original Nexen and one on Primacy. Although the Michelins are on an older car the displayed range is normally about 10 miles greater.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Planning to upgrade from Tesla Model 3 to Kona EV 2022 model.

For those who replaced the Kona EV tires, how much range was lost with good road tires vs. a pure eco tire?
I think they're now supplying new Kona EVs with Michelin tyres. The change is probably also the main factor affecting the WLTP range claimed: when they switched to Michelins it jumped up to about 300 miles. When I bought mine the higher range and better tyres were being shipped in LHD Europe but UK gets RHD cars from Korea and they hadn't switched so Ihave the old tyres.

As you're in the US things will undoubtedly be different but if the tyres matter to you try asking the dealer what tyres it comes with.

Reactions: LytMcQ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I swapped to Michelin Cross Climate Plus, and yes, you will lose maybe 10 miles of range on a full charge. It’s a completely different car though. And if you go with the Michelin Green Energy tyres you lose no range at all.
That sounds reasonable for switching to the Cross Climate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts