Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Just put down deposit for my MG ZS Ev today. I currently have a Nissan leaf 30 which has been great. But sadly the time has come to move on. What would be the best way going forward to upgrading my type 1 tethered

I would prefer a smart charger as the EV does not support timed chargeing from the vehicle and would require this from the charger even though I hear this was a problem before with MG but there are hopefully software fix's coming through. I would probbaly be keeping the leaf but would be happy to charge via granny cable. Would it best to get the olev grant as I have to cars. Or uses the existing wireing and just replace the unit.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You have quite a few options :
1. Get another charger with the Olev grant as you will have 2 cars
2. Get a Type 1 to Type 2 adaptor for your current chargers so that you can use it to charge either car
3. Get a 32A Commando socket installed and attach an Ohme smart cable to it.
4. Change the tethered cable to a Type 2 cable on your existing charger and charge the Leaf with the granny charger.

Option 2. is by far the cheapest and easiest option at around £60 - £90 and no need to call an electrician.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick clear reply. One question would they install a other 32amp charger at my property as I only have a 80amp main fuse and a Tesla power wall 2.

I'm probably just over thinking it

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,523 Posts
Option 2. is by far the cheapest and easiest option at around £60 - £90 and no need to call an electrician.
... and probably invalidates your house insurance if it all catches fire, as it is not CE marked.

Ask the vendor what the legal position is on their adaptor 'creation'. Can they provide a CE certificate for it? If not, ask your house insurer about it.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
One question would they install a other 32amp charger at my property as I only have a 80amp main fuse and a Tesla power wall 2.
What is the maximum current that the Powerwall2 can draw from the mains? In theory your total draw should be less than the main fuse, even if you'd never use them all at the same time. It's worth asking your DNO the cost of upgrading your main fuse as they cannot refuse easily. A number of charge points can limit the total current draw by sensing the load. Given the current grants I'd get a long term two car solution capable of smart charging.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
... and probably invalidates your house insurance if it all catches fire, as it is not CE marked.

Ask the vendor what the legal position is on their adaptor 'creation'. Can they provide a CE certificate for it? If not, ask your house insurer about it.
So these are all being sold illegaly and all these guys and Amazon are going to be sued out of existance? Been using this one for a long time and had no issues whatsoever.

·
28,523 Posts
There is no such thing as a CE certificate.
Insurance co won't have a clue.
OK, declaration of conformity then, if you want the precise term, but the manufacturer should have one to offer.

Maybe the insurance co won't have a clue if you ask them, but I'll wager their loss adjusters will figure that out if your house did burn down because of it.

Look, if that 'thing' catches fire and sets light to your house, the fire brigade will say 'that's what did it', then someone will ask 'so, are EVs safe, how did it catch fire' and then someone will figure it is a bodge up and ask you to then prove that it was of satisfactory quality.

How will you do that, when the whole point of SAE J1772 and IEC 62196 is to try to prevent daisy-chaining?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would it be possible guys. To change my rolec unit from tethered to untethered. And is it simple for a electrician or evenmyself to do. Then I just need to buy a type 2 lead. As I just found out I would need to buy a type 2 for the mg zs anyway. I was looking at the ohme intelligent charger type 2

·
28,523 Posts
With the spur wiring is all in place, it should be dead easy 'even for yourself' to either replace the whole unit, or remove the covers and wire in a new lead, I am sure you are competent with a screwdriver. This is really the answer you are after.

Personally, if I were doing what you want, I'd crimp a ferrule around a mutistrand core, while 'professional electricians' don't, so there are some variations and gotchas, but a good tighten onto the terminals, then check it for a few days of use (should be done every so often anyway) for any indications of excess heat (check the cable and enclosure temps by hand or IR thermometer).

You can always bung an electrician some cash to 'inspect' your handiwork if that makes you feel better. He'll probably give the screws a quick tweak (possibly over-tighten them :devilish: ) but, yeah, practically very simple.

Going for a new charge point with a timing feature might actually be the thing you want to do, though. Think about what you really want to end up with and go toward that. Just buy your own charge point, you will probably find one without the data 'smart' requirements of OLEV and possibly for less than someone would charge you to fit under an OLEV grant.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Would it be possible guys. To change my rolec unit from tethered to untethered. And is it simple for a electrician or evenmyself to do. Then I just need to buy a type 2 lead. As I just found out I would need to buy a type 2 for the mg zs anyway. I was looking at the ohme intelligent charger type 2
Yes that is quite straightforward if you are reasonably competent with this type of thing. It would mean however that you would not be able to charge your Leaf with this chargepoint hence why I suggested the adaptor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your advice hun. But the leaf going back in a few months.

So what I was thinking was getting or makeing the unit untethered then buying a home type 2 stand alone Cable uses at home and in public. As the mg zs ev sadly does not have a in built charger

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Given the problems with delayed charging with the MG and the fact that OHME have fixed that with their smart cable. My advice would be, if the Rolec is not a 'smart' charger, to keep the Rolec and buy the OHME cable. Then you'll be able to set delay charging with the OHME app. If you are and Octopus customer you can get one of these cable at a good discount price.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Given the problems with delayed charging with the MG and the fact that OHME have fixed that with their smart cable. My advice would be, if the Rolec is not a 'smart' charger, to keep the Rolec and buy the OHME cable. Then you'll be able to set delay charging with the OHME app. If you are and Octopus customer you can get one of these cable at a good discount price.
Presumably a commando socket would be needed to plug the Ohme cable into? The Rolec she has is a tethered Type 1 one rather than a socket chargepoint.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Presumably a commando socket would be needed to plug the Ohme cable into? The Rolec she has is a tethered Type 1 one rather than a socket chargepoint.
Ah, I misread the post. It's the other way round. However, if they did make the tethered post untethered then the Ohme cable would be the way to go. You definitely want to have the Ohme solution in there some where as it is for the MG. So change to untethered buy the cable, change the charger go for the Ohme Smart charger, especially that they are entitled to the grant.

I've just done a Chargemaster untethered to tethered, not too difficult, but it will require more parts the other way and I can't see the value of doing it. (Thereby taking the Ohme cable out of the picture for when my MG comes in 10 days, face palm)

·
Super Moderator
11,700 Posts
Would it be possible guys. To change my rolec unit from tethered to untethered. And is it simple for a electrician or evenmyself to do. Then I just need to buy a type 2 lead.

Probably not worth it.

TBH The easiest option is to just buy a socketed Rolec and be done with it.

With an 80A service charging two EVs at the same time will require careful planning. Otherwise you are going to pop the main breaker / fuse.

I strongly advise against any sort of type1-type2 adapter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
H
Hi folks. Just put down deposit for my MG ZS Ev today. I currently have a Nissan leaf 30 which has been great. But sadly the time has come to move on. What would be the best way going forward to upgrading my type 1 tethered

I would prefer a smart charger as the EV does not support timed chargeing from the vehicle and would require this from the charger even though I hear this was a problem before with MG but there are hopefully software fix's coming through. I would probbaly be keeping the leaf but would be happy to charge via granny cable. Would it best to get the olev grant as I have to cars. Or uses the existing wireing and just replace the unit.
With the spur wiring is all in place, it should be dead easy 'even for yourself' to either replace the whole unit, or remove the covers and wire in a new lead, I am sure you are competent with a screwdriver. This is really the answer you are after.

Personally, if I were doing what you want, I'd crimp a ferrule around a mutistrand core, while 'professional electricians' don't, so there are some variations and gotchas, but a good tighten onto the terminals, then check it for a few days of use (should be done every so often anyway) for any indications of excess heat (check the cable and enclosure temps by hand or IR thermometer).

You can always bung an electrician some cash to 'inspect' your handiwork if that makes you feel better. He'll probably give the screws a quick tweak (possibly over-tighten them :devilish: ) but, yeah, practically very simple.

Going for a new charge point with a timing feature might actually be the thing you want to do, though. Think about what you really want to end up with and go toward that. Just buy your own charge point, you will probably find one without the data 'smart' requirements of OLEV and possibly for less than someone would charge you to fit under an OLEV grant.
as an electrician i think you are disrespectful of the electrical standards of bs7671 and current standards of ev installations Let’s all over tighten terminals shall we

·
28,523 Posts
H

as an electrician i think you are disrespectful of the electrical standards of bs7671 and current standards of ev installations Let’s all over tighten terminals shall we
Go ahead, it seems to be what 'electricians' like to do.

None have ever turned up with a ferrule crimper, let alone a torque screwdriver. Do you have/use those?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts