Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Hoping that one of you lovely people may be able to offer me some advice.
I currently have an Ohme home charger on an Octopus Go tariff that, apart from the odd operator malfunction, seems to work much as expected.
I have now been given permission from SWMBO to look seriously into solar panels.
I know that the Zappi system seems to be highly rated for use with solar.
My question is would I be better off trading the Ohme in for a Zappi system or is there a “magic box” that would / could manage the power flow to an Ohme charger like the Zappi system does?
Hope this makes sense
I am still in negotiations regarding a storage battery so that is also a potential consideration.
TIA
Trev

·
Registered
124 Posts
Depends on what size array and how much you will be looking to generate. You have to be generating x amount for the zappi to kick in i believe?

I use this website to let customers know what their arrays may produce; JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission

It allows you to enter the slope/azimuth/power/losses for your array and then gives you predicted outcomes for where it is located.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
The minimum the Zappi will deliver to the car is 1.4kW, but this can be a blend of solar and grid. Obviously there is a point at which you’d just be better off charging overnight.

To be absolutely honest, I’ve been a bit underwhelmed by the amount of solar I’ve been able to channel into the car so far, but that’s a combination of rubbish summer and relatively small array (been on the house since 2012, so a nice little earner and not economic to expand).

In answer to your question, if you’re going to generate enough from your roof the Zappi is very good at channeling it to your car. If you’re generating less than 3kW it probably isn’t worth the investment to swap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Depends on what size array and how much you will be looking to generate. You have to be generating x amount for the zappi to kick in i believe?

I use this website to let customers know what their arrays may produce; JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission

It allows you to enter the slope/azimuth/power/losses for your array and then gives you predicted outcomes for where it is located.
To add, the site is not very mobile friendly and your best off using it on a computer...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and info. Seems I will need to do a bit (lot) more research before I can convince the boss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts