Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 great years with my 24 I bit the bullet and ordered a 40 kw after getting a decent deal on mine and not much more than what I was paying per month. All being well the car will be registered next week :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Congratulations on your new car, you will love the extra range, especially this time of year, when it’s cold and wet or icy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on your new car, you will love the extra range, especially this time of year, when it’s cold and wet or icy.
Thanks Dave, Yes that was one of the reasons for upgrading was to make it more useable in winter. We have a 225xe hybrid as well for the longer journeys but the new leaf means we will be able to use it more and spend less on fuel.
My car was also coming up to 5 years old and must be close to losing its first bar. So I thought I’d trade up whilst it’s stock is reasonably high.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have also just upgraded to a 40kwh Leaf (delivery next week) after a very happy 3 weeks with my 30kwh Acenta 6.6kw. I should explain that I bought the 30kwh as ‘a toe in the water’ to see how much I would like running an EV. It has been such a hugely positive experience that I couldn’t bear to drive another mile in my Golf diesel. (I was also missing Apple CarPlay).

Before I bought my Leaf I was sure I would need a range of at least 250 miles before I would consider letting my Golf go but running the Leaf for just 500 miles has convinced me otherwise.

I did, however, want a ‘safe’ 100 mile range as my wife does a 100 mile run (one way) frequently and she is not keen on stopping to charge with a grandchild in the back. I did the same run with her and grandchild in November in the Golf when Lincolnshire and South Yorkshire were flooded and we got diverted three times resulting in a journey extended by 10 miles to 3 hours at night in pouring rain. That journey in my 30kwh Leaf would have caused some anxiety as the lengthy diversions were to the end of my journey in rural Lincolnshire which is not blessed with many charging points. Quite frankly I wouldn’t have made it without another lengthy detour to find a charging point. I am hoping that run was a bad as it gets and a 40kwh Leaf would make it.

I did consider a 62 kwh Leaf but the cost premium of £7-8k was not in my view justified. I also considered the e Niro and Kona but was not prepared to wait 9 months as by that time the EV game will probably have moved on even further. It is a personal view but in a rapidly evolving market there will always be something better just round the corner so my philosophy was just get the best deal I could on what I could get here and now that met my requirements. The bonus was that I do actually like the look, the interior and the drive of the 40kwh Leaf as much as anything else I have considered. Perhaps naively I am also thinking that as the 40kwh is only really an evolution of the 24kwh Leaf a lot of teething problems will have been sorted.

I got what I hope is a good deal on a new N-Connecta but unlike @EVChap was very disappointed with what I was offered for my old car - just £9500 for a 16k car. That’s more than £1k less than webuyanycar.com came up with. (On the other hand they have offered me a very fair price for my Golf.)

Not a problem though as like several cars before it will most probably be passed on to another family member. My son was interested, particularly after I told him about the V2G trial OVO are running and even more keen after driving it. It is, though, a bit on the small side for family life compared to his Volvo Estate.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks very nice. Darker colours do look good. I wish you many miles of quiet happy motoring ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts