Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this in case it is helpful to anyone, and perhaps so that it can be investigated and checked.

I went for a Zoe test drive yesterday. The dealer told me that he had been at a meeting recently with someone from Renault who had told him that larger capacity batteries were coming sometime in 2015 and that anyone on a battery lease deal could be upgraded. He implied, but did not state outright, that it could be automatic. This seemed unlikely to me, but I thought I'd just repeat it.

As a side note, he also said that he would love to have a Zoe himself, but that they are specifically excluded from the list of company cars they are allowed because of the battery lease.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Sounds very unlikely. If you're on a lease you have a certain battery and then a new battery comes out. What would they do with all of the first type of batteries if everyone took the free upgrade, let alone meet production demand for the new battery type to not only supply the new vehicles made, but all current ones too?

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Sounds very unlikely. If you're on a lease you have a certain battery and then a new battery comes out. What would they do with all of the first type of batteries if everyone took the free upgrade, let alone meet production demand for the new battery type to not only supply the new vehicles made, but all current ones too?
Quite.

Although from the drivers perspective, you have a leasing agreement for a fixed period. Once that period is up you don't have to keep that battery, Renault may offer you a new fixed period for the new battery at a higher price...? Or I suppose more likely the new battery is the same price, or you can have a new lease for the old battery at a much lower price...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was pretty much my thoughts on the likelihood of that, too. I was more intrigued by the suggestion of higher capacity batteries coming relatively soon, though, however they're arranged or paid for.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
Well the cells in the Zoe have been around for a while now, a 25% improvement in energy density sounds reasonable for launch next year.

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
If you need the larger battery, wait for announcement from Renault. The terms are unknown and there hasn't been anything official.

Renault could do something. Zoe batteries are easily swapped. They have an infrastructure in place to move battery packs between dealers and a factory rebuilding facility. The cells and modules that make up a pack are reusable.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm posting this in case it is helpful to anyone, and perhaps so that it can be investigated and checked.

I went for a Zoe test drive yesterday. The dealer told me that he had been at a meeting recently with someone from Renault who had told him that larger capacity batteries were coming sometime in 2015 and that anyone on a battery lease deal could be upgraded. He implied, but did not state outright, that it could be automatic. This seemed unlikely to me, but I thought I'd just repeat it.

As a side note, he also said that he would love to have a Zoe himself, but that they are specifically excluded from the list of company cars they are allowed because of the battery lease.
I see a squadron of pigs at 12 o'clocko_O

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Nothing new or secret here. But If it does happen it could be one big plus for the battery lease. ..
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/renault-could-upgrade-owners-electric-vehicles/1283726

1 - 8 of 8 Posts