Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Mk7.5 Golf GTE advance is now reaching 3 years old and I am considering upgrade let this year
The Mk 8 comes with a bigger battery.
What is the real world experience on range from those that have already upgraded?

Also -Any tips from MK 8 owners on must have options.

I was considering the:
  • 18" Bakersfield Allioy (Much prefer the look over the STD 17")
  • Winter Pack
  • Rev Camera
  • Possible Head Up Display as a luxury Item
I have expluded the high cost options (Leather Interior , Discovery Pro and Pano Roof but the Jury still out on DCC.
Doe anyone have DCC fitted - Is it Worth it ?

Thanks for any tips/help

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Given your username I'd be surprised you were not considering the VW ID.3, fully electric with similar performance to the GTE. It will also probably cost about the same, especially because you will get the grant for the full EV. The range is 225+ miles and if you have a GTE you should already have some form of home charging solution so the ID.3 will (probably) suit you quite nicely.

I have a Mk7 GTE and know that the ID.3 will likely be its successor because it still annoys me when I need to use petrol. It also requires more maintenance than a pure electric vehicle and the hybrid drivetrain is complicated and may require expensive maintenance in the future.

A friend of mine had DCC in the Mk7.5 GTE and said it made no difference unless you "drove like a knobhead" (his words, not mine.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depending on how you plan to finance this upgrade and judging by the extras you want to add.. if I was in your shoes I would be sorely tempted to put a deposit down on a Model 3 or even an ID.

MK8 GTE’s are very expensive so why not just go full electric?

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I already have an ID3 for my main car. the GTE is my wife's car. We are not quite ready to go full electric yet for both cars. Long haul journeys are very much easier with an ICE.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Not even something like an ID3 Max? Range of 300+ miles. How often do you travel from London to Newcastle in one go? ;-)

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not even something like an ID3 Max? Range of 300+ miles. How often do you travel from London to Newcastle in one go? ;-)
I have the ID3 Max but being based in the Scottish Highlands going long haul journeys is do-able but not yet as easy with a Hybrid. The public charging infrastructure still lags behind car charge capability rates. ie there are very few 100Kw+ DC charges on main routes. Don't get we wrong my ID3 does fit the bill for 90% of my journeys but we need something for the other 10%.

Anyway Since I already own an ID3 and am well aware of it is range and limitations.
I don't need 2 ID3s. My question is not about choice of car. It is about the Golf GTE Mk8.

Can anyone advise on the original question?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Afraid I don't have too many answers for you there.

I know the Mk8 has a newer battery but the powertrain is almost identical to Mk7/Mk7.5, so much so it's one of the few VW's still using the 1.4 TSI, the Golf Mk8 is on the 1.5 TSI. It makes sense given the 1.4 TSI in the GTE was custom engineered to support the hybrid functions. So to that end I'd ask do you need a new one/to upgrade it? If concerned about reliability then buy a warranty. My Mk7 has had a fair share of issues but I continue to self insure because I'm fairly risk tolerant. So far nothing devastatingly expensive has gone wrong but I did need to pay £700 for a new charge port last year.

There is a faster version now which goes up to 250hp, roughly Mk7.5 GTI territory. So if you like fast that's the car to go for. I seem to recall that car isn't going to make it to the UK though, European only.

The on board charger is still a paltry 3.3kW and with the larger ~13kWh battery, charging times are now pushing 4 hours from a wall box and 6-7 hours on a granny charger (though faster OBC doesn't help the granny) - this makes it harder to use with off peak tariffs. My GTE is done in 3 hours so fits nicely in 5.5 hour slot provided by Octopus Go Faster, for instance. This appears to be because VW didn't change the powertrain and the onboard charger is packed right on top of the gearbox/hybrid motor bell, very little extra space available. You can clearly tell that PHEV is not a long term priority for VW given little has changed in the design since 2014. The 3.3kW charger is definitely the one thing I'd change on the GTE if I could.

There is a Mercedes PHEV out there (A 250e, so similar size to a Golf) which has a 7.2kW onboard charger, so charges in 2 hours. May be worth a look. I seem to recall it also supports 20kW CCS, which allows for some limited use of fast charging, though you might get a few comments on this forum about PHEVs and fast DC chargers (you have been warned!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts