Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many Nissan Leaf (2015 and older) owners are left stranded by the obsolete 2G telematics. Nissan charges ~ $1500 (including install) to upgrade to 3G. I have this problem in my own car. My company makes an industrial 4G/LTE automotive telematics unit that can control the HVAC remotely, display all the battery info (state-of-charge, balancing etc.), locate the car, provide access to all the waveforms and trips in a web portal, etc. I know there are cheap hardware alternatives (open source) and consumer grade parts, but this would be a more robust system with encryption, compression, professional grade web portal and interface, not some hobbyist project. The price would be below $1000 with self-installation.

I am looking to get feedback from the community about whether to pursue this opportunity to sell a product specifically to address this Leaf issue and if anyone is interested to partner on sales/marketing. There are many thousands of Leafs with this issue that are beyond the warranty period and will not have a free upgrade to 3G/4G. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Oliver- Nice to know there is someone out there who is looking at this.
One thing you will need to bear in mind is how tightfisted the majority of Leaf owners are. If Nissan do it for $1500 (in Canada presumably) it will probably be nearer £2000 here-UK always seems to get the short straw. There would be very few Leaf owners willing to part with that sort of cash on a mk1 or 2 Leaf here I suspect. Your suggested price point of $1000 with self install will put most Leaf owners off. If it was $500 then you would definitely get some takers.
Me for one. I understand the complexity of retro engineering this sort of unit. I was a tv engineer in my youth then at 50 I went back to uni and spent 3 years full-time in computer networking and system administration. I was also the State service manager for Pioneer Electronics and sorted out electronics problems in car audio in Western Australia.

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
What made you come to the UK - Id have stayed in Oz!!!!!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
For UK owners, the 2G networks won't be going anywhere for the next few years. 3G will be turned off first..
What does my 2017 Leaf 30 Tekna use?

·
Registered
598 Posts
What made you come to the UK - Id have stayed in Oz!!!!!
Climate change. Perth Summers have become hotter and longer. In 1982 when we emigrated, we'd have 3-4 weeks of temps that didn't drop below 20 day or night and daytime it would be 38-39deg. Over the years that elongated to 10-12 weeks and daytime temps crept up into the 40's. We had a 52deg day measured in my back garden and my pool was like a warm bath.
There is a big hole in the ozone layer there and we have all had skin cancer apart from my wife who is the only one who lay out in that sun for hours on end. Go figure.
One day I had some business to do in the city and the wind was very strong through the skyscrapers, like a wind tunnel with eerie noises. It was a 48deg day and the pavements were hot through the soles of your shoes, the bricks in the buildings radiated heat and the cars belched out even hotter air as they passed you from their aircons. The flies off the desert attach themselves to your lips buzzing round your ears and get behind your sunglasses. I stood in the middle of the street and realized this is pure purgatory, what the hell am I doing here?
After my son had a melanoma removed from entanglement with his optic bundle, we all decided we'd come home, we don't want that for our little granddaughter. She is on the spectrum and it is very hard to keep a hat on her and apply sun cream, she needs that because she is of mixed race (Anglo-Chinese) and has skin like alabaster. She is beautiful.
Any more reasons--oh the creepy crawlies, There is a nice little thing called a white-tailed spider-only about an inch long with a white spot on its back. It likes bedding and creeping underneath pillows. Then it comes out in the night when you're sleeping and if it bites you on the hand say, you get this creeping necrosis that works its way up your arm to your elbow over a period of 6 months or more. Nice.

There are things I miss, the open skies and clear horizons that go on forever, and I really miss my mates over there. We have no friends here, my old mates are either dead or moved elsewhere. But we are alive and well so that is a good thing.

Sorry for the essay John, but you did ask!

Tony.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oliver- Nice to know there is someone out there who is looking at this.
One thing you will need to bear in mind is how tightfisted the majority of Leaf owners are. If Nissan do it for $1500 (in Canada presumably) it will probably be nearer £2000 here-UK always seems to get the short straw. There would be very few Leaf owners willing to part with that sort of cash on a mk1 or 2 Leaf here I suspect. Your suggested price point of $1000 with self install will put most Leaf owners off. If it was $500 then you would definitely get some takers.
Me for one. I understand the complexity of retro engineering this sort of unit. I was a tv engineer in my youth then at 50 I went back to uni and spent 3 years full-time in computer networking and system administration. I was also the State service manager for Pioneer Electronics and sorted out electronics problems in car audio in Western Australia.
Thanks for the feedback.
$500 USD would perhaps be possible if we strip it down further.. I know personally it's extremely annoying to lose the remote control of HVAC and SOC monitoring.. The app from Nissan is quite terrible as well. I'm looking for someone with sales experience who would partner up on commission to explore this opportunity. There are about 300,000 of these vehicles out there (2015 and older).

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Oh no its wonderful! I loved hearing your story and wanted more ! You would write very good memoirs!

Its interesting to hear the grass is not always greener on the other side, for those of us that look at places like Australia thinking its paradise compared to here!

And I HATE spiders!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
To be honest my Leaf (2011) can only travel 35-40 miles these days, there’s not much point in having an app to check the SOC (if it’s not full it’s going nowhere!) or preconditioning (if I did that, I wouldn’t get home!).

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is already OVMS which works with the Nissan Leaf and Nissan eNV200 amongst other cars.
£194.56 inc VAT and typically under £1 a month for the average sort of data usage.

The kit plugs into the OBD2 socket on the car, so "install" is easy.
What would this proposed solution offer that OVMS doesn't already give?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Oh no its wonderful! I loved hearing your story and wanted more ! You would write very good memoirs!

Its interesting to hear the grass is not always greener on the other side, for those of us that look at places like Australia thinking its paradise compared to here!

And I HATE spiders!!!!
One incident I'll tell you about. Australia day 2010 There used to be big celebrations in Perth, massive firework displays along the foreshore (river Swan-actually an estuary) in the middle of the city from river barges and the narrows bridge, synced in time with a local radio station-everyone brought their blankets and boom boxes all tuned to the same station-the noise was deafening, but a great air of excitement. We decided to go further North to Hillary's marina on the coast, about 20ks North of Perth. Thought we'd go for a quiet drink in the Breakwater Tavern-but just as many people as on the foreshore others had the same idea. Anyway it had been a fairly hot day, but by midnight the temperature had rocketed to 40deg. We had never known anything like it at that time of night, there were wrinklies dropping like flies and being carted off in ambulances, people fainting everywhere and it was bloody uncomfortable with the hot wind off the desert. This time we had the mosquitoes instead of the flies for company.
Picture of the lovely Jane that night

And yours truly.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,121 Posts
Ha ha!! I LOVE IT!

Fantastic photos too - The Lovely Jane really is lovely!!!! SHe'll love this, when I first glanced at the photo - I thought you were going to say she was your daughter! LoL

Honestly I cannot see how ANYONE can live in 40 degrees I mean 40!!!!!!! Nope not for me, I struggle here now when its in the low 30's!!!!!

God 2010 seems like yesterday but its 11 years ago now!!! Worrying how time goes by!!!!

Reactions: arkranium

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ha ha!! I LOVE IT!

Fantastic photos too - The Lovely Jane really is lovely!!!! SHe'll love this, when I first glanced at the photo - I thought you were going to say she was your daughter! LoL

Honestly I cannot see how ANYONE can live in 40 degrees I mean 40!!!!!!! Nope not for me, I struggle here now when its in the low 30's!!!!!

God 2010 seems like yesterday but its 11 years ago now!!! Worrying how time goes by!!!!
Ha-I referred to the wrinklies-I am one of them now.....you know I sometimes catch myself as I walk past a shop window and think to myself - What's that silly old duffer looking at-and realize it's me!
40 deg day is horrible but 40deg at midnight is another thing entirely.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Another couple of incidents-during a quiet time in my trailer factory when I used to drive a taxi on the week-ends (I used to enjoy it), I picked up a job to take an elderly aboriginal man to just North of Wanneroo-about 25kms. I rocked up at the hospital and the nurse wheeled him out in the wheelchair and as she levered him into the front seat she gave me this knowing wink. Well - the aroma from this chap was something I had never experienced. He was from a very remote desert tribe who had a cultural taboo that forbade them washing or bathing. This guy was well over 70 and hadn't had a wash since he was a boy and swam in the local billabong. I was gagging all the way to Wanneroo, mid July so quite cold-about 8 or 9 deg and he complained about my window being open a crack. Lovely old feller, he spoke a sort of English and he was a decent sort. I couldn't wait to drop him off at his country bus stop.

Another time I picked up these 3 Nigerians from their hotel and took them to the Red Bull race at the Swan foreshore. Mid-Summer, hot as hell, about 37-39deg and blistering sun. These guys were tall, black as the ace of spades and very cultured and so handsome - all three of them - the Perth girls looked twice at them as we drove down the streets.
I dropped them off at the races and I said to them you had better get some sunscreen from the stand over there. They laughed and said we are from Africa-we are used to the sun.
About 5 hours later I collected another passenger from the races and saw one of these chaps being loaded into an ambulance with his 2 mates looking concerned and a bit sorry for themselves. It turned out he had severe sunstroke and very bad sunburn-you can't tell some people.
Hope I'm not boring you with my tales, there are many others from the taxi days, mostly involving ladies of the night.....

Reactions: whereswally606
1 - 15 of 15 Posts