Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked on another thread about what you get in the car.

Looking at the website you get a wall box that is essentially a neater way to use a 3 pin plug ( not bad but not ideal) as our dumb Rolec charger is nearly 6 years old I'm thinking of upgrading however there isn't any costs cited and dealership doesn't have details.

Has anyone enquired? I know 6 years ago my install cost me £249 after the grant. I assume it'll be far more today. Also my concern is whilst 'smart' is neat. Dumb also means the energy providers can't tax use (which Im assuming will be enviable) as it's invisible to them so reluctant to give the Rolec up.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,742 Posts
I’d stick with the Rolec.

Ours is also 6 years old and going strong. Just needed an RCBO replacement two years ago.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The easywallbox is not that smart it's only bluetooth to the phone app, to start or set a programming schedule and see some stats. I'm thinking of replacing our current charger as it's not tethered. So it should just need the electrician to disconnect the current charger and replace with the new one. No cabling to be done to the boards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the UK you can get a grant of £350 to have an EV Wallbox installed. This is useful if you want to upgrade to the 7.4kW connection. The chargepoint / wallbox has to be on the government's approved list but despite there fact that here are at least 100 on there, the easyWallbox isn't listed. It's made by an italian company called Free2Move (link below) but they aren't on the list either. The Fiat dealers I have called barely understand the question, let alone have the answer. My easyWallbox is free with the car but if I had to pay for the box I would choose one on the government grant list and shop around for an installer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I swapped out my un-tethred Chargemaster for the new tethered easywall box, and it was fairly simple. Just make sure yout turn the little control knob to position 7, then download the 2nd app "easywallbox powerup" app, and change the safety limit to 32a 7.4kw. No issues so far. It's putting in 7KW per hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts