Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had nothing but good experiences with my Zoe 22kW I decided to upgrade to the 40KW recently. Deals arent as good as they were originally but still a competitive purchase.

Discussed with Renault, agreed the model specs and price & placed order in January. Then told that delivery had suddenly extended to beyond June! Nontheless, decided to proceed. Placed deposit in good faith.

2 days later had the obligatory call from Chargemaster to arrange the new charger install. Turns out that if you already have a 3kW they wont provide a 7kW charger unless you pay for it yourself. As the Zoe 2 will take a month to charge on my old charger, I argued that this was unsatisfactory. Chargemaster completely intransigent, so I asked Renault West London to take it up with them. Anyway, they wouldnt budge, so 3 days after ordering i cancelled the order & have now ordered a Leaf (Nissan being far more accomodating).

Renault WL have now stated they will not refund my deposit.

So, if you are thinking of upgrading, be very careful. I certainly will not entertain purchasing any form of Renault again, thats for sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I argued that this was unsatisfactory
I'm sure they agreed with you, however only one thing is important: was a free charger upgrade included in the upgrade?

If not, then what would be the reason for them to upgrade you for free? It would've been much better if they had brought up the issue beforehand, of course.

However, I'm a software developer and halfway into a project, clients have told me: "you should do this work for free, because it's logical." Well sure, but it wasn't agreed upon. Or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
548 Posts
You say that you are upgrading, does that mean you are getting rid of the 22kw Zoe or keeping it and getting the 40kw? ..
I know if you keep her you can get a grant for a second charger for a 2nd EV. But if it's going you can't get the grant towards the charger. I think there has to be a 6 month overlap in having 2 electric cars to get the 2nd grant.. if im wrong im sure somebody will say

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
I ordered in December knowing fully well that as I had already used my max two OLEV grants (for two plug in cars), it was unlikely that CM and/or Renault where going to offer anything!

I did try to get a deal out of CM to replace the 16A Type 1 charger with a new socket unit (in anticipation of two Type 2 cars eventually) but they weren't interested, just like OP. Seems odd that Renault don't want to help customers moving from Leaf to Zoe!

As we have a 32A Type 2, all is OK for the Zoe and 16A Type 1 is used by Ampera for now.

As mentioned above, to get 2nd grant you need to have two plug in cars for minimum 6 months and we had B Class for 7 :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup I found out the same.. because Renault just tops up on the OLEV. I told my dealership if they sell to others who upgrading from leaf to ZOE they won't be able to get a free changer.

lucky for me I just paid for a different Rolec front to my charger

I'm sure Nissan also just top up on the OLEV so surely it be the same?

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
I'm sure Nissan also just top up on the OLEV so surely it be the same?
It seems Nissan are doing a deal for Leaf owners who upgrade to New Leaf and need to replace Type 1 with Type 2. It isn't exactly clear if only applies to 2.Zero and what T&Cs are.

It is also awkward if someone got their OLEV unit less than 3 years ago as they are legally bound to leave in place for 3 years :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
As the Zoe 2 will take a month to charge on my old charger.
This argument makes no sense. If the new car is replacing the old car and they'll both do similar mileage then the total time spent charging will be exactly the same.

As others have noted you can't get two OLEV grants unless you own two cars at the same time. If you're switching from one to the other then you don't get another chunk of government money.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Simple solution was to state the leaf was staying. You would defo have 2 cars for 1 second
The rules are you have to have two plug in cars for a minimum of 6 months. Do they check? Maybe and losing grant if they did wouldn't be great.

·
Registered
15,973 Posts
This argument makes no sense. If the new car is replacing the old car and they'll both do similar mileage then the total time spent charging will be exactly the same.

As others have noted you can't get two OLEV grants unless you own two cars at the same time. If you're switching from one to the other then you don't get another chunk of government money.
Yeah, not sure why the OP thought it would take a ‘month’ to charge on 3 kW charger. 12 hours would get you around 2/3 of a charge.

He could probably have the EVSE swapped out for a 7 kW version without much trouble.

Either option seems better than throwing all the toys out of the pram. The Zoe is a great car.

·
Zoe plus Fluence
58 Posts
This sounds like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

You chose a Zoe, quite rightly.

Next you got into some silly dispute over the charger. So you broke your contract and went to another supplier.

And now you want your deposit back?!?

Not grown up behaviour is it?

Try looking into all the facts before firing off broadsides that make you look a complete chump.

First, as people have said, you can have a second charge point. I have two here in my home. Both fully funded by others.

Second, the Zoe will work fine with 3kw charging- ours does.

Third, your house supply may not have enough capacity for two 7kw chargers. Most houses have a maximum of 100amp or 23kw coming in, so if you have cookers, electric showers, kettles and toasters on, you may need to think whether it's a good idea to be fast charging two cars at the same time.

Fourth, there are plenty of suppliers out there who can offer alternatives to the standard fare from Chargemaster. It's not tricky to get your local electrician to run the cables. And he will be available if things need improving.

As with all things the buyer needs to be clued-in, and not just great at signing his name where he's instructed.

Nissan do seem better at dealing with the clueless.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,711 Posts
Having had nothing but good experiences with my Zoe 22kW I decided to upgrade to the 40KW recently. Deals arent as good as they were originally but still a competitive purchase.

Discussed with Renault, agreed the model specs and price & placed order in January. Then told that delivery had suddenly extended to beyond June! Nontheless, decided to proceed. Placed deposit in good faith.

2 days later had the obligatory call from Chargemaster to arrange the new charger install. Turns out that if you already have a 3kW they wont provide a 7kW charger unless you pay for it yourself. As the Zoe 2 will take a month to charge on my old charger, I argued that this was unsatisfactory. Chargemaster completely intransigent, so I asked Renault West London to take it up with them. Anyway, they wouldnt budge, so 3 days after ordering i cancelled the order & have now ordered a Leaf (Nissan being far more accomodating).

Renault WL have now stated they will not refund my deposit.

So, if you are thinking of upgrading, be very careful. I certainly will not entertain purchasing any form of Renault again, thats for sure.
I sympathise, up to a point.

It's quite clear, when I have read the small print, that the offer of 'a charge point' is subject to OLEV eligibility. It was up to you to negotiate with Renault that they cover it, irrespective of OLEV eligibiity.

You didn't. Unfortunate. Now, in knowledge of that condition, you broke the contract.

Your lost deposit will now cost you a lot more than a charge point.

Of course CM are intransigent, they are simply contracted by Renault to do a job, not the job you think they should do.

Regrettable. And as others have pointed out, has your daily mileage doubled or something? If not then why do you need double the electricity?

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Ha - and I take sweets from kids :)

Chargemaster only ask for the car details - the OP would have had all that eventually. I don’t know how it would have come up that they wanted an upgraded box.

I can’t see why Nissan would be able to get round govt policy. Maybe Nissan would give you £500 to get one fitted but the new leaf is £8k more expensive and has less range than the Zoe - not shrewd balance of investment tbh. Plus lost deposit on Zoe.

JJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see. Well if I thought I was going to get any sympathy then looks like I was mistaken

However, just to prove im not a ‘dodgy geezer’ (thanks for that stinky pete!), i’ll try and be more specific.

1. I totally agree, the Zoe is a great EV, which is why i brought one & why when i needed a replacement i decided to get another. My complaint isnt about the car, its about the service, or lack of, that i got from Renault & chargemaster

2. Small print. Err, yes, i did read it, once bitten etc.. and i also confirmed with RWL that i was entitled to a replacement 7kW home charger, in writing. I will plead ignorance of the OLEV grant issue, but RWL didnt suggest this was a problem either during those early discussions. I accept ignorance is no defence but like i say I asked the question.

3. Saying it will take a month to charge the Zoe 2 on a 3kW home charger was a slight exagerration, im prone to that, but it would take 15-16 hours im reliable informed and clearly thats impractical.

4. No, im not keeping the original zoe, so 2 chargers arent an option either.

5. Yes, i investigated and could get a 3rd party charger for less than the £1500 CM wnated, but really, should I have to? If the contract says its included then i figure it should be included.

6. Yes again, i did ask RWL to intervene because i really wanted another Zoe, i also asked Renault to get involved, and they did, but between them they could not get CM to budge. Nether were RWL prepared to meet me half way on the additional charge for the new CM home unit. Like i say, the intransigence wasnt limited only to CM.

I didnt want 2 chargers, i would have been happy for them to simply change the head end, were that possible. I asked them to explore options, and even offered some of my own, but the lack of any desire from CM to assist me was infuriating. I get it that a grant is a grant, amd rules is rules, but come on... doesnt the goverment want to encourage more EV users. Surely if this is the degree of negativity that others might encounter its likely to discourage them.

Id have to dealing with CM on thr first install wasnt a delight. Had the vehicle for 2 weeks vefore they finally got around to installing my charger and even then after a number of exasperating calls.

7. I went to Nissan, explained the issues and they took an entirely more positive view, hence the order for the Leaf.

8. Has digging my heels in and taking a principled view of the matter ended up costing me more? Yes of course it has, i have effectively cut off my nose to spite my face. Am I happy about that? Not particularly, i have a clear conscience but am noticeably poorer.

9. But should RWL penalise me further by retaining my deposit? No they damn well shouldnt, they broke their contract as they were unbale to fulfill the order. Thankfully HSBC agree with me and have repaid me anyway, and will take it up themselves with RWL.

10. Breaking contracts. Donald, I know a little about contract law (different industry, same general principles) & NO, I didnt break the contract. I asked RLW to honour their commitment & they wouldnt/couldnt. It was all civilised, there was no animosity, just frustration.

Of course im certain that the French goverments decision to buy the entire stock of Zoes for the foreseeable future had no influence on Renaults intransigence whatsoever

11. Posting in the insurance thread? Ive no idea what you're talking about. Its my 1st post, and it looked like the correct one to me, if it wasnt then i apologise. Not a hanging offence surely.

Finally then, slurs on my character aside (clueless?dodgy? I wonder how necessary that was), i was simply trying to point out that upgrading from Zoe 1 to Zoe 2 isnt perhaps as straight forward a process as it might be given how we all (presumably) think that EV is the ‘Better way’. Thats all.

Plus, as one reply points out, Nissan take a far more relaxed and helpful position in my experience, even if one apparently needs to be “clueless” to swap loyalties.

Good day to you all.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
491 Posts
My interest is in the deposit and not the charger.
I’ve ordered my second Zoe, and I only had to leave a £100 deposit on the first Zoe.
My wife gave me instructions to leave no more than £100, and as I went alone to negotiate it works well to have a higher authority that stops you being flexible. It’s the perfect antidote to the Salesman going to talk to his boss about whether they can move any more on price.
As my second Zoe is on 6 months lead time I did not want to leave a large deposit, and Dealer 1 wanted £500, and there was no way that was returnable. Dealer 2 didn’t want a deposit, but was expensive. Dealer 3 , who I ordered with, wanted £170, and said it was returnable but I would need to write in with the reasons, he said we’re not allowed just to hold peoples money.
I believe that the dealer is able to hold some of the deposit back if he has any losses, so maybe £50 at most for an order that is only 3 days old.
How big a deposit did you leave ?

·
Registered
15,973 Posts
2. Small print. Err, yes, i did read it, once bitten etc.. and i also confirmed with RWL that i was entitled to a replacement 7kW home charger, in writing. I will plead ignorance of the OLEV grant issue, but RWL didnt suggest this was a problem either during those early discussions. I accept ignorance is no defence but like i say I asked the question.

3. Saying it will take a month to charge the Zoe 2 on a 3kW home charger was a slight exagerration, im prone to that, but it would take 15-16 hours im reliable informed and clearly thats impractical.
So you’re saying that you need the full range or your Zoe 40 on consecutive days - over 150 miles, and the car won’t be on your drive for the required 15 hours? Say between 18:00 and 08:00?

You can get a second charger installed under the OLEV scheme, so long as it’s more than 6 months since you last made a claim. This was the case when I did it, but it may have changed.

I find it hard to believe that you couldn’t find an electrician to swap out the EVSE for less than £500, then sell the old one to get some money back. I reckon £300 all in.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
491 Posts
Obviously there's still people interested in your (lack of) 7kW charger .........

I think that's been done to death, what deposit did you put down ?

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
You can get a second charger installed under the OLEV scheme, so long as it’s more than 6 months since you last made a claim. This was the case when I did it, but it may have changed.
Not true today as the current rules state -
The Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme provides a grant of up to £500 for individuals who have taken keepership of a new or second hand eligible electric vehicle on or after 1 April 2015 as long as they have not claimed against the previous chargepoint schemes or can evidence keepership of two eligible electric vehicles.
Full details are at

Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme guidance for customers: version 2.1 - GOV.UK

1 - 20 of 56 Posts