Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Slightly random but I’m getting my first charger installed in the next few weeks and trying to finalise the location.

I’ve chosen an Ohme wall charger for the smart features but it’s not the most aesthetically clean option with a lot of wires. Does anybody know if it’s possible/recommended to install the actual wall box part upside down?

I ask because they are going to come out of my meter cabinet at the bottom and will then have to run cable up the wall before looping it 180 degrees to run into the top of the charger with the tethered cable coming out of the bottom. Is there any reason (besides the little display being upside down) why I couldn’t get them to fit the box upside down so that the cable would run straight from cabinet into bottom of wall box with the tethered cable and holster above... would make things look a bit cleaner.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm with you - I hate visible cabling. I reran my cable whilst I was having the kitchen fitted so it now goes directly into the back of the charger even though it only replaced 18 inches of conduit below the unit on the outside.

Can you come through the wall from the meter cupboard and back through behind the wallbox? Maybe chase it on the inside and plaster back over it? Lot of work but you'd never see the cable again and we like that!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have my Ohme charger sideways against a black coloured part of my wall so camouflaged. The display is tiny and all you really see is the charging lights as all done from app. Can't see a reason why cannot be inverted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies... some food for thought, perhaps I am being a bit pedantic re- the cable run. Think perhaps I’ll wait until the installer arrives and mock up the various options to see what looks best.
Will get confirmation direct from Ohme regarding the upside down though, can’t see why it would be a major issue but wouldn’t want to void the warranty to satisfy my aesthetic vanity.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd put the Ohme in a box anyway personally unless it's in a shielded location. They really don't look that watertight.

(watch from 10:07)

Looks symmetrical inside by the way, so I can't see what difference it would make mounting it upside-down.

Incidentally, I don't see how mounting it upside down achieves anything in your scenario - you'll end up with the 'output' cable coming out of the top which will then, surely, have to loop back down again! It's much more natural for that cable to exit downwards.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
They have supposedly done some mods to improve water resistance, and added drain holes, which may be orientation-sensitive, but I wouldn't mount an Ohme in any orientation where it can get rain, less so if it can also get sun as the UV may degrade the front label, which forms part of the seal.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Boxing it could be an option... any suggestions on an appropriate box?
Do you have DIY skills? I would buy some featheredge, and some treated square timber from B&Q. Construct a frame to cover Ohme, or slightly larger if wanting hide the cable when not in use. Then clad the frame with the featheredge. Could get really clever and design a lockable door to the front. The OHME will be kept completely dry and there will be no worry about rain tracking into it via the cable entries. It would also be hidden from unwanted attention if at the front of the house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts