Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

URGENT help required. EV ordered. Need wall charger with load management capability

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Gavin Taylor 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm getting an EV next week. I have a house with a 60A fuse. ~This cannot be upgraded(another thread).

I need a wall charger with load management capability.

Zappi has been mentioned.

Are there other makes that would be suitable?

~Thanks

#4 ·
Did you ask for a quote to upgrade the fuse anyway? Because they have form for telling lies.

Ask for a quote even if that means you have to dig a new trench (which you can do yourself).

I had a similar situation and I dug the trench myself (took a day with hired tools, they will use a mole), and the cost for the new connection was only £275+vat.

#6 ·
I suggest PODPoint as they can fit and configure load monitor initially and if you get fuse upgraded later they can remotely change the monitoring limit. No additional cost AFAIK.

#8 ·
Manually adjusting isn't load management. The OP needs his charging point to run at 7Kw overnight, provided there is sufficient capacity. If a load comes on (maybe washing machine and dishwasher on timers) then the point may need to ramp down for a while. The PODPoint can do this and is cheapest OLEV unit that can AFAIK.

#10 ·
Useful if OP has or plans to get PV, but I am sure would work out a lot more expensive than a standard PODPoint install.

#12 ·
I'm sure all home ev chargers have to be able to throttle load as necessary. I have a PodPoint and did ask about this as I also have a 60A fuse. The installer said all home chargers fitted from some time in 2019, I forget when, have to have a current clamp connected, which cuts in when high overall load is sensed. Unless you want to go solar at some point stick with something simple like PodPoint.

Darren

#14 ·
I'm sure all home ev chargers have to be able to throttle load as necessary
No, surprisingly most do not have a load monitoring feature. Tesla, Rolec and Chargemaster to name three. OLEV units do have to offer demand side management, but that is different.

Another one the OP could get a quote for is the Smart+ from ChargedEV, but their prices have risen. It does have more features than the Podpoint, such as scheduling.

#15 ·
I did have the idea of adding solar at some point but no active plans just yet. So what I'm reading is that Zappi is advised for that however, its more expensive?
Personally I would get quotes for Podpoint, ChargedEV and Zappi - the last two support PV. Make sure quotes are like for like.

#17 ·
If you dont mind some DIY this evse controller can load balance when used with the sensor box

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.