Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there!

I am a new KIA Soul EV owner. I have this problem with my vehicle:
I have multiple errors showing on the panel, I am not entirely sure what is happening... on top of that, the exterior amber lights are on.
  • Exterior lights (amber/yellow lights) wont turn off after turning off the vehicle.
  • Car won't unlock using key fob, I have to manually unlock it with key.
  • When turned on, it makes a weird rattle sound (not loud, like humming below the break/steering wheel).

The car only had 1 owner, no problems according to the carfax.

Could someone let me know what I can do to fix this or if I need to call the towing truck? I am not able to move it at all. It will start, but not the engine, just idle start (if it makes sense).

Thank you

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First thing to check and discount is the 12V battery. If you can, remove, recharge and check condition of battery, If more than a couple of years old, especially if car has been sat around or neglected by previous owner it might be best to simply replace.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First thing to check and discount is the 12V battery. If you can, remove, recharge and check condition of battery, If more than a couple of years old, especially if car has been sat around or neglected by previous owner it might be best to simply replace.
Really does sounds like a flat 12v battery issue!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! How would I go about checking the condition of the battery? I bought the car just a week ago, and it has 10K miles on it. Can I remove the battery on my own?
Also, I did jumpstart the car with another vehicle, and it worked after a while. I am just unsure if it may just be the battery though. I tend to check everything after I turn it off.
Sorry about the many questions, just trying to do the best for it.

Really does sounds like a flat 12v battery issue!
Thanks for the insight! Have you had a similar issue?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Soul, like many EV’s is known to have a weak 12v battery. If you ever sit in the car make sure the car is fully on ready to drive, not in accessory mode. Just sitting there with the radio on and your phone charging in accessory mode can lead to issues. If the car has not been used much there can also be 12v issues. It seems many EV’s have a drain on the 12v running systems in the car. Best bet is to get a trickle charger and top the 12v back up. If problems keep cropping up then best to just get a new 12v battery.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Not had quite the same symptoms, but issues with 12v battery are known to cause this sort of thing. You say that you have a 2017 vehicle, and if you are on the original battery it would likely be getting towards end of life. Car mileage is pretty irrelevant.

There are a number of ways to test battery condition and dealers will likely do this for you for free and report overall battery health in the hope of a sale. If you have newly acquired the vehicle from a dealer I'd be having a chat with them about replacing the battery for free or at least making a good will contribution.

The battery is easy to change requiring basic tools like spanner, socket set or screwdriver depending on fittings. Loads of info on the web,

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Thank you! How would I go about checking the condition of the battery? I bought the car just a week ago, and it has 10K miles on it. Can I remove the battery on my own?
Also, I did jumpstart the car with another vehicle, and it worked after a while. I am just unsure if it may just be the battery though. I tend to check everything after I turn it off.

Had exactly the same symptoms after a poor 12v battery was discharged via hazards (only lasted 3 hours).

·
Registered
6,955 Posts

Best to replace the battery, don't muck about with the old one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not had quite the same symptoms, but issues with 12v battery are known to cause this sort of thing. You say that you have a 2017 vehicle, and if you are on the original battery it would likely be getting towards end of life. Car mileage is pretty irrelevant.

There are a number of ways to test battery condition and dealers will likely do this for you for free and report overall battery health in the hope of a sale. If you have newly acquired the vehicle from a dealer I'd be having a chat with them about replacing the battery for free or at least making a good will contribution.

The battery is easy to change requiring basic tools like spanner, socket set or screwdriver depending on fittings. Loads of info on the web,
Yes, it is the original battery from the vehicle. You are right. I am going to take it to the dealership and see if maybe they can also check for anything else.
Thank you

Had exactly the same symptoms after a poor 12v battery was discharged via hazards (only lasted 3 hours).
Thanks! I appreciate the insightful information!
I will go ahead and get a new battery then.
Would you happen to have any details of what type of battery? Does it have to be the same one?
or just a regular 12v battery will work?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Yes, it is the original battery from the vehicle. You are right. I am going to take it to the dealership and see if maybe they can also check for anything else.
Thank you

Thanks! I appreciate the insightful information!
I will go ahead and get a new battery then.
Would you happen to have any details of what type of battery? Does it have to be the same one?
or just a regular 12v battery will work?

Thanks again.
Are you in the USA. I think your battery types are a bit different.
Actually it's not a special battery. I fitted a larger battery because there is plenty of room on the tray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you in the USA. I think your battery types are a bit different.
Actually it's not a special battery. I fitted a larger battery because there is plenty of room on the tray.
Yes, from the USA. I found some Duralast batteries online, which Ill probably go visit the store near me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts