Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1488 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Great idea, let all the police turn up in shorts and flip flops and get the crap beaten out of them. Do you understand health and safety in the slightest
Why would they get the crap beaten out of them at a peaceful protest?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Three cops fired after accidental dashcam activation captures racist rants

According to the department's report, Piner's camera was recording due to "accidental activation." That activation ended up capturing Piner and two other officers, Jessie Moore and Brian Gilmore—all white—discussing Black members of the force as well as local protesters, using well-known racist slurs. At one point, Moore said a local magistrate, a Black woman, "needed a bullet in her head," before the three discussed their feelings that a civil war was coming, for which all three claimed to be ready. "We are just gonna go out and start slaughtering them fucking n------s," Piner added.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,204 Posts
They turned up to a peaceful protest in riot gear and heavily armed. The point of defunding the police is to stop that happening. Take away the weapons, the riot gear, and the overtime pay.
We know no details.

Perhaps protesters had gone from peaceful to attacking unarmed police attending at that location before?

What would you say about it then?

·
Super Moderator
6,280 Posts
How would they know it’s a peaceful protest when they first turn up. You don’t have a fire alarm or sprinkler system because you think you house is on fire, you have one in case the worst happens. When are you going to get off of your lovely silver cloud and join the rest of up in the real world?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
How would they know it’s a peaceful protest when they first turn up.
Instead of sending a battalion of heavily armed officers all on overtime why not just send a few to go observe? Oh because that wouldn't get them overtime or justify splashing out on 100 sets of riot gear.

·
27,204 Posts
Instead of sending a battalion of heavily armed officers all on overtime why not just send a few to go observe? Oh because that wouldn't get them overtime or justify splashing out on 100 sets of riot gear.
Tell that to the observers who got beat up the last time they visited that location.

·
27,204 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Do you have one it didn't happen like that?

Or just falling into your prejudice?
It's impossible to prove a negative donald. The video clearly shows it was peaceful.

I mean what kind of nightmare would it be if the police turned up to everything in full riot gear and in force, just in case? Oh wait, it would be like the United States.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
NY Times has an great investigation of fatal police chockings. They found 70 cases since 2000, most of them in the last decade. More than half the victims were black. A common thread is that the police ignore being told that someone can't breath and then they die.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,351
They turned up to a peaceful protest in riot gear and heavily armed. The point of defunding the police is to stop that happening. Take away the weapons, the riot gear, and the overtime pay.
I agree, but how do we know the police had not already assessed the situation "in shorts and flip-flops" and determined it was too risky to move people without protection?

·
27,204 Posts
It's impossible to prove a negative donald. The video clearly shows it was peaceful.

I mean what kind of nightmare would it be if the police turned up to everything in full riot gear and in force, just in case? Oh wait, it would be like the United States.
It's not me jumping to conclusions. You're the one saying they have no reason to go in, with protective gear on. You really don't know what their reasoning was, for that.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,353 (Edited)
The first priority of a police officer, at least in the UK, is to protect life.

Attempting to move any resisting crowd, without adequate protection, represents an avoidable risk - just one protestor's flailing arm or leg could trigger violent conflict. Maybe the police had already asked nicely and were told "No".

The US audio shows there was resistance in the form of protestors screaming "NO, NO, NO.." in response to the arrival of armoured police. It does not present evidence that the protestors were seeking to peacefully comply with orders to occupy only a designated area.

·
Super Moderator
6,280 Posts
Are you really as daft as you make out?

Half a dozen police officers turn up to a peaceful rally, what they don’t know is someone knows this is the case so has set a trap. We now have half a dozen dead or badly injured police offices with back up to far away to help.

Would you send your wife/husband/son/daughter/father/mother etc into that situation? I guess you wouldn’t so why should anyone else do the same?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,355
Half a dozen police officers turn up to a peaceful rally, what they don’t know is someone knows this is the case so has set a trap. We now have half a dozen dead or badly injured police offices with back up to far away to help.
What is wrong with assessing a situation before making a decision about what to deploy?

I would hope an assessment is made. I concede that any crowd presents a potential risk, and I concede that risk mitigations were deployed.

The video is inconclusive because it does not document a "first encounter" or other efforts the police may have tried.

·
Super Moderator
6,280 Posts
What is wrong with assessing a situation before making a decision about what to deploy?

I would hope an assessment is made. I concede that any crowd presents a potential risk, and I concede that risk mitigations were deployed.

The video is inconclusive because it does not document a "first encounter" or other efforts the police may have tried.
Nothing, that’s exactly what happens and why they were in riot gear

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
True, but they have a deep respect for the law, police and by and large each other.
In the UK no one has any respect for anyone or anything these days, the fabric of society is merely a facade.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,360
True, but they have a deep respect for the law, police and by and large each other.
In the UK no one has any respect for anyone or anything these days, the fabric of society is merely a facade.
It is not much of a facade. Too many Britons are disrespectful followers of Johnson & Cummings et al.

1341 - 1360 of 1488 Posts