Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1361 - 1380 of 1488 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Instead of sending a battalion of heavily armed officers all on overtime why not just send a few to go observe? Oh because that wouldn't get them overtime or justify splashing out on 100 sets of riot gear.
Often the police are there to protect the protestors from counter-protests. If the far right had attacked one of the BLM marches and the police had just turned up to observe, I have a sneaky suspicion that you would accuse the police of negligence.

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,366
@firetrax, given the choice of Corbyn or Johnson, I supported Swinson.

Reactions: Bertie

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Do you think that was also true at the right wing protests a couple of weeks ago?
No, it's usually when the protesters are black or the protests are against the police.

They don't seem to mind the white guys with guns.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Often the police are there to protect the protestors from counter-protests. If the far right had attacked one of the BLM marches and the police had just turned up to observe, I have a sneaky suspicion that you would accuse the police of negligence.
Yes you always argue in bad faith don't you.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,370
Commiserations!
Democracy is not a lifelong supporter sport with season tickets etc. I voted without compromise, and that means I won.

Reactions: Bertie and firetrax

·
Registered
910 Posts
Democracy is not a lifelong supporter sport with season tickets etc. I voted without compromise, and that means I won.
So did I ! Unfortunately some on here want to do away with democracy as it delivers results they don’t like.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,204 Posts
Singapore.
heh...

.. even if you re-drew the prime meridian through Timbuktu, to satisfy some crazy guilt-trip demand from BLM, Singapore would still be several thousand miles away from being a 'western' country!

·
27,204 Posts
Reactions: Swagman

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Yes you always argue in bad faith don't you.
I'm sorry, you've lost me?

My views on this are consistent: I generally think the world is a complex place with few definitive rights and wrongs. I think there are injustices which BLM are right to highlight, and I support the principles of their cause. But I don't support any form of discrimination, so I don't support the anti-white sentiment on the BLM fringes. I also support the rule of law, so I don't support the violence by either side, or the abuse of statues. I don't support any form of historical retribution because no-one alive today is accountable for the actions of their forebears, especially when those actions were legal at the time. We can't change the past, but we may be able to change the future.

Show me anywhere in this thread where I've not been consistent with this position.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I'm sorry, you've lost me?

My views on this are consistent: I generally think the world is a complex place with few definitive rights and wrongs. I think there are injustices which BLM are right to highlight, and I support the principles of their cause. But I don't support any form of discrimination, so I don't support the anti-white sentiment on the BLM fringes. I also support the rule of law, so I don't support the violence by either side, or the abuse of statues. I don't support any form of historical retribution because no-one alive today is accountable for the actions of their forebears, especially when those actions were legal at the time. We can't change the past, but we may be able to change the future.

Show me anywhere in this thread where I've not been consistent with this position.
"I have a sneaky suspicion that you would accuse the police of negligence."

That's not good faith, that's saying you are going to accuse me if something I wouldn't say.

·
27,204 Posts

That's not good faith, that's saying you are going to accuse me if something I wouldn't say.
I'm pretty sure you've already said that.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Sorry if I've misunderstood some of your anti-police rants on here. If you go back and read what you've accused them of on this thread, I don't think what I said was much of a stretch.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Sorry if I've misunderstood some of your anti-police rants on here. If you go back and read what you've accused them of on this thread, I don't think what I said was much of a stretch.
It's completely wrong. You haven't listened at all.

The whole point is to make the police go back to waiting for backup instead of going in fully armed from the start.

That's what they are supposed to do in the UK but now are armed with tasers. In the US they have no obligation to help anyway.

Maybe time to stop ranting like a deranged Fox News anchor and listen to what people are actually saying.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,379
... in other words, police should swap their tasers for whistles?

Reactions: donald

·
Super Moderator
6,280 Posts
It's completely wrong. You haven't listened at all.

The whole point is to make the police go back to waiting for backup instead of going in fully armed from the start.

That's what they are supposed to do in the UK but now are armed with tasers. In the US they have no obligation to help anyway.

Maybe time to stop ranting like a deranged Fox News anchor and listen to what people are actually saying.
I hope you never have an armed burger in your house....
Dials 999 "Help someone has broken in to my house, I can here them downstairs"
Operator "Ok, we are sending round our health and safety advisor to do a risk assessment"
"what I could be attacked?"
"We are very sorry and do understand the issue but the "Rei" act from 2020 means we can't send anyone out without assessing the situation first"

How about you think about the worst outcome's from what you are asking for, life could become very dangerous as we don't all live in your world full of fluffy unicorns........

1361 - 1380 of 1488 Posts