Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking at Polestar 2 and tesla M3 and the main concern i have abou the tesla is having to do everything via the screen. Reason for this is that my near vision isnt great but distance is perfect o I don't wear glasss when driving. On my i3 this is no issue as most of the display fonts are a decnt size and the drivers display is also readable - plus there are buttons andknobs for most things so i have had no issues. The voice control on thisngs like sat nav is also good enough not to worry about typing in addresses. From what I have seen of the P2, its got both knobs and buttons as well as a drivers display.
So I am arranging test drives on P2 and M3 but was hoping someone could tell me if the M3 has the ability to use lage fonts or can voice control be used extensively? The M3 clearly wins on most other measures but for me, usuability is higher up the list than range/charging etc
I have tried vari foculs but didn't get on with them plus my i3 is fine so looking for similar levels of usability.
Thanks,

·
Registered
509 Posts
Am looking at Polestar 2 and tesla M3 and the main concern i have abou the tesla is having to do everything via the screen. Reason for this is that my near vision isnt great but distance is perfect o I don't wear glasss when driving. On my i3 this is no issue as most of the display fonts are a decnt size and the drivers display is also readable - plus there are buttons andknobs for most things so i have had no issues. The voice control on thisngs like sat nav is also good enough not to worry about typing in addresses. From what I have seen of the P2, its got both knobs and buttons as well as a drivers display.
So I am arranging test drives on P2 and M3 but was hoping someone could tell me if the M3 has the ability to use lage fonts or can voice control be used extensively? The M3 clearly wins on most other measures but for me, usuability is higher up the list than range/charging etc
I have tried vari foculs but didn't get on with them plus my i3 is fine so looking for similar levels of usability.
Thanks,
We could talk for hours about this and indeed there are already many hours worth of comments on this in previous threads. I think it will be down to personal preference. You try them, you chose one. I wish you well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as I can tell the Model 3 screen fonts are fixed and on the small side apart from the road speed numbers.
Come night time in dark mode its even more difficult to read.
Voice control is somewhat variable - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - at all, and not everything is voice-controlled.
You may find these problems a showstopper for your use of a Model 3

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’ve had a model 3 for over a year now. My eyesight isn’t great at close range. The comments from Neilman are correct to some extent I would say over the period I have had the car, both font and voice recognition have improved significantly. I find all the main controls work well via voice control now. Not sure what you would need to touch the screen for when driving? The speed is displayed for easy reading. Auto wipers and lights work well. The stalks and buttons on the wheel control everything else. The heating works well from voice controls along with Spotify etc. The navigation is hit and miss via voice controls but I personally send the address to my car via whatever app I’m using on my phone or type it in when I’m in the car before I leave. We traded a Volvo in recently which was 3 years old. I hope polestar have improved the navigation software because it was rubbish in the Volvo.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bi focals would be better. Bottom section for close vision and the rest uncorrected.
Yes but to be honest I don't see why i should make changes to accomodate the car versus get a car that accomodates me..

I do have a test drive booked so that will be useful but I don't want to spend teh hour i get playing with the screen versus actually driving the car.

Neilman's comments don't fill me with confidence but will do some more research on forums. The P2 seems a more 'normal'car with less reliance on tech so will also give that a test drive.

Thanks all for the feedback

·
Registered
162 Posts
whoa, how do you do that? Not aware of this feature!
You can also use Google maps directly from your phone and share the address with your car in three easy steps:
1) Type in the location that you want to go to on Google Maps on your phone.
2) Click on the 'Share' button (usually at the bottom but depends on your phone model).
3) Scroll through the apps until you find your Tesla app and then click on it.

You're done. If done correctly, you should get a pop up message saying that it's been sent to your car. The next time you get in your car, the navigation should automatically be set. Really awesome feature and saves faffing around on the big screen in the car. I use it all the time :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If your range requirements dictate you do more than 200 mile in the day I would pick the Tesla M3. If you rarely need to charge on the go, then my recommendation having owned both would be the Polestar every time!
The P2 returns just over 3 miles per kWh. It's a proper sophisticated grown ups car, not just a skateboard or iPad mounted on batteries. But the M3 has the benefits of supercharging and better range.
The acceleration is much smoother on the P2 without breaking your neck on initial launch, and is still quick enough for most. The screen on the P2 is easier to read and use, just, although its smaller.
(Lights blue touch-paper and retires back to the Polestar page, byeeee!)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your range requirements dictate you do more than 200 mile in the day I would pick the Tesla M3. If you rarely need to charge on the go, then my recommendation having owned both would be the Polestar every time!
The P2 returns just over 3 miles per kWh. It's a proper sophisticated grown ups car, not just a skateboard or iPad mounted on batteries. But the M3 has the benefits of supercharging and better range.
The acceleration is much smoother on the P2 without breaking your neck on initial launch, and is still quick enough for most. The screen on the P2 is easier to read and use, just, although its smaller.
(Lights blue touch-paper and retires back to the Polestar page, byeeee!)
very helpful. 95% of my driving is under 100 miles a day at most and my i3 did 3-4 >200 mile trips per year so I am not at all worried about range/charging
I appreciate your feedback

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't forget the supercharger element when choosing between the two cars.

Tesla's having access to them is an invaluable asset for road trips.
I have been on a few road trips across europe in past so your right in that is a big tesla advantage - though given where we are wit covid i doubt i will be doing any significant road trips anytime soon :)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Having test driven the Polestar as well as currently having a Tesla Model 3 I would definitely go with the Tesla. The Polestar felt cramped inside and less comfortable. The rear seat on the P2 is really just for 2 people as there is no legroom for the middle seat due to the large tunnel. Rear headroom is also cramped. The frunk is much smaller and the steering wheel adjustment is manual so can't be linked to driver profiles. The software app is quite flakey on the P2 as well at the moment and the phone app not functional yet. There have been various reports of issues with the 12v battery going flat which required an upgrade at the dealer to fix as currently OTA updates are not available. It's also much less energy efficient than the M3 with no access to the supercharger network. Handling was also not as good as the M3. The test car also had quite a bit of creaking in the interior.

Try and get as long a test drive as you can of each and judge for yourself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts