Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

What is the actual usable capacity on the 41kWh battery on R90? I am a bit confused by it.
Let me explain: With a full charge(100%) I am getting about 150 miles with anything between 5 and 8% left in the battery. At the same time my dash is showing 3.78 mpkWh. Simple maths showing that I have used 39.86kWh for the last 150 miles. However, if I add up the remaining lets say 7% this will bring me above 41kWh :LOL:
I am sure you can see my confusion now. I am well aware that if it says 41kWh, the usable battery should be around 37/38 kWh, is it? To get even more confusing the overall usage for this trip was showing as......34 kWh???
Am I looking at a software glitch or what?
HELPPPPP 😂😂😂

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
144 Posts
Renault ZOE's ZE 40 battery pack is @45 kWh. It's made with 192 LG Chem LGX E63 cells. Its Gravimetric Energy Density is around 238-245 Wh/kg.
Nominal Capacity: 45,34 kWh (discharged at 14,93 kW) – 44,79 kWh (discharged at 22,46 kW)
Minimum Capacity: 44,65 kWh (discharged at 14,93 kW) – 44,1 kWh (discharged at 22,46 kW)

Cycle life at 25º C:
  • 94 % of initial battery capacity after 200 cycles (25º C)
  • 84 % of initial battery capacity after 1.000 cycles (25º C)
  • 80 % of initial battery capacity after 1.400 cycles (25º C)
Very interesting video from Masato Origuchi wihts lots of interesting battery info (2015)

As a comparison, new ZE50 has also 192 cells (LGX E78), with a total battery capacity of 54.66 kWh of which 52 kWh are usable (Gravimetric energy density: 265 Wh/kg).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @alegar I was sure that someone will have explanation for me 👍

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Bear in mind that there is also some range left at zero percent which is included in the "useable" capacity. I am not sure how far a ZE40 will go on "empty" but IIRC driven slow in warm weather the ZE50 can go 20km. Not that I plan to test, but I don't worry about getting somewhere at 5% if I know there are reliable charging options.

Reactions: Padrino

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
So far those that have been brave enough to drive to Very low SOC have said anywhere between 37-39kWh usable when pack is in good newish condition.

As for the "video" showing there is spare capacity that can be released to offset degradation, there is ZERO evidence that Renault have ever done this. I know you previously said your pack stated 98% SOH when you got the car. If it stays at that for a year and 10k miles then it may be accurate, but I've a gut feeling your car was BMS updated before you got it. Which seems to reset SOH, mainly because the pack is disconnected. I've seen reports of SOH jump back up to 98% when a car has had a fluids change (when pack is isolated). But if your SOH drops down to mid 90's after a year/10k ish I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Have a look on the CanZE site at those that posted their SOH frequently. You may notice a pattern of those who saw a big increase after BMS conveniently never posting again though. I'd also suggest you trust what you see from long term owners like @yoh-there who have done big mileage and less so of those on their 3rd Zoe and typically cover 15-20k max between cars.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Bear in mind that there is also some range left at zero percent which is included in the "useable" capacity. I am not sure how far a ZE40 will go on "empty" but IIRC driven slow in warm weather the ZE50 can go 20km. Not that I plan to test, but I don't worry about getting somewhere at 5% if I know there are reliable charging options.
Probably not applicable to ZE50 but post BMS the Zoe 22kWh model lost most of the range at Zero. When you hit Zero you had a mile or so at best at very restricted speeds.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @Sandy as usual your posts are full with useful info gained during ownership and not only by reading internet 👍

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,468 Posts
I know he can take this ;)..... When @Sandy is positive, temper that enthusiasm to get the true story, but the gist is correct. When @Sandy is negative, temper that grouchiness even a bit more to get the true story, but the gist is correct.

My late 2013 Q210 had the BMS update I think 3 years ago. And yes, due to the full rest of the battery computer, SOH went up to 98%. I think from high 80's or maybe low 90's. It stayed there for months, so the car really needed time to figure out things. Now I am down to 82%. 135000-ish km. It is correct that since the update the bottom-of-the-barrel is smaller.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i must be the only person that drove home and arrived with 1-2 miles left :p done that 3-4 times. basically adjusting my speed to get home as fast as possible, but without going into zero so i dont require a charge.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
i must be the only person that drove home and arrived with 1-2 miles left :p done that 3-4 times. basically adjusting my speed to get home as fast as possible, but without going into zero so i dont require a charge.
A near weekly occurrence with me in my Q210.

Its weird arriving home with 90+miles of spare range.... in fact I hardly ever charge my MG fully now because I know I've got more than enough range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts