Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a cheap USB hub so that 2 USB cords (for, ahem, PS4 controllers) could be left plugged in to one of the sockets as well as the USB memory stick for MP3s. A 128GB USB microSD was going to be left plugged into the other slot to allow fast read/write for the dashcam and sentry mode. The two game controllers work fine but the USB memory stick is not recognised and won't load the music on it. Everything works fine when connected to a PC.

What's special about the Jeda hub that allows it to work with more outlets and are there cheaper options that definitely work? I'm not against $80 but I believe with shipping and handling the Jeda comes in pretty expensive although it is nicely designed by the look of it. Can anyone shed light on this?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,117 Posts
The Jeda hub plugs into both USB sockets at the same time so it might be that trying to plug your hub in is drawing more power than the single USB can supply. You might manage to use 2 double socket hubs, one plug giving two outlets if you follow me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I’m only theorising here , but Hard to say without knowing more about your hub, I believe the Jeda splits the data and power ports of each USB ports into 2 xpower + 2 x data. Some usb drives also require more power then others so might not work with a split port. You should also not use a simple port multiplyer and try to turn 2 ports into 4 , that does require more power by the hub and i recall reading somewhere it is recommended against.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m only theorising here , but Hard to say without knowing more about your hub, I believe the Jeda splits the data and power ports of each USB ports into 2 xpower + 2 x data. Some usb drives also require more power then others so might not work with a split port. You should also not use a simple port multiplyer and try to turn 2 ports into 4 , that does require more power by the hub and i recall reading somewhere it is recommended against.
Good points.

USB sticks/SD card readers have a minimal power requirements and should be OK on a hub.
If you have Hard Drive (old spinning one, not SSD) then you definitively need a lot of power (often two USB ports are needed, one for data, two for power).
SSD drives are somewhere in between - might not work on hub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts