Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new Toshiba 64GB USB stick off eBay this week, copied an Album to it, plugged it into the Ampera - it refused to read it :-(

I had already checked that the stick had only one primary FAT32 partition as the Ampera won't read anything else. Even so, I decided to delete the existing partition and create a new one from scratch; thankfully that did the trick and I now have 40+GB of high quality (320Kb/s) MP3s in my Ampera :)

On reflection, I think the problem may have been that the partition was marked as "Active". A partition should only be marked "Active" if it is a boot partition for an operating system. If you get the problem, try that first.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have a SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB drive in my car. It worked straight out of the box.
I chose the Cruzer fit Drive as it is so tiny it is impossible to knock, dislodge/snap off by accident when fumbling in the box..
see how small it is here: http://uk.sandisk.com/products/usb-flas ... lash-drive

I have a 32GB drive for £14 it has enough capacity for 300 hours of mp3's (256kb/s) (that's no repeats for 9000 miles at 30mph avg.)

(I have no affiliation, just a recommendation.)

·
Premium Member
11,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the sticks I tried worked fine in the Ampera which is why I was bit puzzled by the Toshiba.

I want to keep all my music on the stick (weekly sync from home server) so needed 64GB. I agree the tiny ones are neat (I have a 16GB one) but I couldn't find 64GB. As the Toshiba was only £16.50 with free postage I decided to get it for now.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Just to update this thread - SanDisk now do a 64gb version of the Cruzer Fit. Currently copying a ton of music to it and will test in the car tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Mine's on 12" plastic disks and they don't fit in the Ampera :cry:

Back to the radio....:whistle:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quick question - does the car correctly identify track order in albums when dumped on a USB stick? I copied a bunch of music from a USB stick to the HDD but the songs are all listed alphabetically which is really annoying!

·
Premium Member
11,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick question - does the car correctly identify track order in albums when dumped on a USB stick? I copied a bunch of music from a USB stick to the HDD but the songs are all listed alphabetically which is really annoying!
Yes it is annoying. I think if you use folder view (not Album or Artist) they are correct?

I don't use the USB stick much now, partly due to usability. I have a Chromecast Audio and car tablet. I use my own and offline Amazon music. Being able to easily download from Amazon on home wifi and create a play list made it better/safer for long journeys.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I used to use a batch tag editing app that would put the track number at the beginning of the file name, then everything would work fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts