Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been toying with the idea of installing a USB port up at the rear view mirror/forward facing camera unit to allow me to plug in my dashcam. I’ve been advised that the facelift ZS ICE has this built into the unit (why they didn’t do it on the ZS EV I’ve no idea) and it would be great to have power up there for dashcam etc.

I’m hoping to use something like this from Amazon Ytesky 12V to 5V 3A Dual USB Power Supply Inventor Buck Converter Step Down Module Transformer Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools and hook it into the existing wiring.

Anyone know of a reason that this wouldn’t work or wouldn’t be advisable?

PS - I am aware of hardwiring kits going down the side pillar to the fuse box, just think this is an interesting idea

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Where would you plan to mount the converter? A black box can get surprisingly hot behind the windscreen of a parked car on a sunny day, so I'd be slightly weary of the temperature range. Also the fact that they consider -25C to +65C as "industrial grade" is a little odd. A lot of consumer grade parts are rated to +85C ambient and automotive should be more like +125C ambient, so I question what industry they're targeting...

·
Zoe Devotee
9,380 Posts
Better to wire it in properly to the fuse box than hacking about with the wiring behind the rearview mirror.

Reactions: PeterG

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I paid a professional installer to hard-wire my Viofo Pro Dual camera.. £60+vat all inc. This meant running a cable from the rear window to the spot in the windscreen, and then another down to behind the glove box. Not a trivial job. Tom Ross covered it on his youtube channel, I wasn't brave enough to follow his example!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.