Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 M3 has a USB drive in the glovebox which works fine for recording dashcam footage. I connected a USB 3.0 FAT32 formatted memory stick with some music files to the centre console USB-C port and and the car's media player found it & played music from it OK. The only problem was whenever I left the car it forgot which media file was playing and I had to then tap through all the folders and try to remember where it had left off. This is really annoying when trying to listen to a podcast series. I found a temporary fix by using a 256GB memory stick in the glovebox which I divided into 2 FAT32 partitions with the first partition used for the dashcam and the second one for media files. The media player then remembered where it had left off and all was well for a while. However, it has recently started throwing error messages saying that there is a fault with the centre console USB which needs to be unplugged & reconnected (there is nothing connected to the centre console USB ports so I assume the second partition on the glovebox USB has confused it) but after a few minutes it finds the second partition but forgets where it left off. Has anyone else had this and is there a fix?

Second question - I know how to safely eject the dashcam USB stick by long-pressing on the camera icon on the screen but is there a way to safely eject a separate USB drive with media on it? If I eject the dashcam glovebox memory stick with the 2 partitions the second partition with the media on it remains mounted.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I picked up my car yesterday and it was on an old software version that remembered where it was on the music list, after the update it doesn't!! A pain, but I'm not fussed really to be partitioning drives, I make a playlist on the computer of maybe a couple of CDs worth of tracks and add/remove some songs as and when I fancy a change

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a look on the TMC forum and it seems to be a bit dependent on which particular USB drive you use. I've currently got a 256GB microSD in a USB 3.0 card reader plugged into the dashboard USB socket. The card has a 36GB partition for TeslaCam and the rest is taken up by a Media partition. So far, it seems to be remembering where I left off although I did need to do a couple of hard resets before it worked properly. The centre console USB is a dead loss as it needs to be mounted every time the car starts and it can take a good few minutes for it to index all the files. Partitioning the USB drive is dead easy using MiniTool Partition Wizard in Windows and to my surprise, Windows can read both partitions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The usb in my previous Audi would struggle with indexing and loading if there were too many files. Weirdly my car has remembered where it left off from the previous journeys today. I'm using a reasonably old 8gb SanDisk thumb (nano? The ones that barely stick out) USB drive plugged into a little USB-A to C adapter, in the passenger side port in the center console, it has 600ish track on it and doesn't struggle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - it's just too buggy to rely on. Sometimes it remembers, the next time it has forgotten and the time after that it might suddenly remember again. I've resorted to listening to my podcasts from my phone via Bluetooth which is much more reliable. Shame they couldn't get something so basic right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Update - it's just too buggy to rely on. Sometimes it remembers, the next time it has forgotten and the time after that it might suddenly remember again. I've resorted to listening to my podcasts from my phone via Bluetooth which is much more reliable. Shame they couldn't get something so basic right.
Mine's not too different, but it doesn't bother me while using a small playlist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts