Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I right in thinking there is just the one USB socket in the car (compartment anterior to the gear lever)? I guess more could be made from a 12V socket converter but just thought there would be more than 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seems nuts but I can only find one as well.

I have a mk7.5 GTE Advance registered Dec ‘17.

How am I going to plug in my iPod if I also want to use an aftermarket WiFi / Sim stick?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You had to get the wireless phone charging option to get 2, one in the arm rest and one in the cubby in front of the gear lever.
You get 2 usb ports at the expense of Aux socket, no big loss though.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
I’ve got the Belkin one as above, a useful bit of kit.

A word of caution around these adaptors though. I purchased a double usb adaptor with two iPhone leads in a garage promotion, they were cheap and the leads were non Apple.

I’d been experiencing a lot of drop outs from the DAB radio which I’d put down to atmospherics, but then one day I remembeted the problems had coincided with starting to use the adaptor and leads.

I’ve got access to an EMF meter at work (EMF as in Electromotive Force, and not the Gloucestershire based 1990s Indy rock band), and using that showed a lot of EMF leakage.

The Belkin and Apple cable was miles better, and since I’ve had that back in the car, my DAB signal has barely missed a beat.

Buy cheap, buy twice as they say...

·
Registered
991 Posts
And worse still, cheap Lightning cables that do not carry the MFI (Made for iPhone) certification will almost certainly lack the voltage/current limiting chip in the plug. I see half a dozen iPhones every week where the power management IC has popped due to over voltage/current from a poorly regulated supply that would have been caught if they’d used genuine or branded and licensed cables. Amazon sell MFI cables for a fiver. Last year Mercedes were selling branded cables that were cheap crap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts