Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Just got a 2016 c350e and I really enjoy being able to do short journeys using electric only but would love to have a bit more electric range. So I have a couple of questions to throw out there:

1. Would it be possible to use the lithium battery from a B250e (I think its a Tesla battery called the E18-2 evo???) in the c350e in place of the M14-1? Or is it like trying to put an AA battery in an AAA slot? Are they different sizes and technology etc?

2. Will there be an aftermarket battery service/upgrade that will enable plugin hybrid owners to increase their battery range by swapping out their old battery for a new one with more range? I suppose production of lithium batteries is so expensive that this is a way off yet?

On a side note, I think the only way forward will be a removable battery blade/cylinder for electric cars. Tesla did demo it with the model S but scrapped it. Ultimately, an easily removable battery is the only way forward in the long term (in my opinion) when considering all factors. You will buy/rent a rechargeable fuel/battery cell and slide it in to your car. Would be nice to hear what others think.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think in general you'll find that the space for a battery in a PHEV is completely filled by the factory provided battery, and even if you found a different battery with a higher density to replace the original it would be very difficult to fit it and connect all the sensors, cooling and/or heating in that tight space.

Short answer: no.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i would love to do a project like that, take a B-class battery and change the capacity on my C350e.
The C350e is perfect, i love it, but the range is a bit of a challenge for me :)

if anyone, is happy to look at doing these, it would be fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
send your interest to Muxsan

Currently they do work on ENV-200 and Leaf, Mitsubishi Outlander is next, but I'm sure if there's significant interest in range extending the C350e they will look at it too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts