Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I did try searching for this topic but didn't get too far - apologies if already covered.

I have PV solar panels and I bought a third party "granny cable" I use to trickle charge my Zoe on brighter days, so depending on the weather some/most/all of its power comes from the sun. In this way I am storing energy in a battery in a somewhat comparable way to a Powerwall or other home battery. Where this differs most is that I can't easily use the energy to do anything else than power the car.

What I was wondering was how I might use this energy when I don't need to drive. I would hope that in the future this will work out-of-the-box (and I'm aware Nissan did some similar trial), but for the moment with my Zoe the electrons are sitting around while other items in my house are consuming electrons from the grid (at least when it's not bright outside).

I'm not knowledgeable enough to tinker in the car to try to play with the wires in the car and produce some sort of output to use in the house. Not to mention it would probably be illegal in some ways.

The best I can think of at the moment is to put the car on some rollers with a dynamo and wires to the house, and somehow connect the house to the accelerator of the Zoe. Then have the accelerator push down according to how much energy the house is consuming in a sort of modern-day Heath Robinson setup. Pretty much totally impractical but a nice thought experiment.

Has anyone else had any ideas about how one might make use of the energy stored in an EV to power something other than the car itself?

Thanks!

2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much appreciated TimJMS - that enabled me to learn something.

It looks like V2G (and V2H) will be the answer in the future. In the meantime is there any way of getting the energy from the car to the house in a somewhat practical way? My subsequent thought was to attach a tent-like structure from an open door or the boot to a window in the house and turn on the car heater in order to heat the house in the evening. Probably very inefficient and very silly which is why I was hoping others may have better ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts