Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Wallbox Pulsar home charger which came with a 5m lead. With the positioning on the power socket on my ID.3 I have to bring my car right up my tandem drive to get it within range of the lead.

This was fine and working as planned until No.1 daughter dropped the bombshell that she's going to live/work/study in France for a year and would be leaving her Fiat 500 with me to look after. I'm going to measure it up later today, but I'm sure there's not going to be enough room for her car to sit at the top of my drive out of the way and still leave room for my car to get near enough to the charger lead. I charge two or three times per week so having to move her car out of the way each time and then back again is going to get old really quickly.

My initial solution is to have a longer lead fitted to the Wallbox; I know you can get them with 7 meter leads, but then I thought, would it be possible to use the lead that VW supplied with the car as an extension? I've just been out and offered it up and the ends are correct. I'd need to do something about weatherproofing the part where the two leads connect, but otherwise is this a viable plan?

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
Sorry but those leads are not designed to daisy chain along. The internal pins don't connect to allow that.

You can fit a longer tethered lead to the wall unit, or move the wall unit down the drive to a new position on a post.

Or rent a local lock-up for her car.

Or bed a few paving slabs in the adjacent lawn. :sneaky:

Then again, I quite like this solution,

Suddenly a longer lead to the wallbox starts to look attractive, doesn't it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't mind buying one of those if that's what it needs, but that does look just like the VW one that was supplied with the car to my untrained eye. Where's the difference?

Registered
Amazon sell them: eg

Sorry - that is a standard charging lead between a type 2 wall socket and car. It will not daisy-chain with another lead. The standard is designed to stop you doing that, so the extension leads mentioned by motmot have a non standard control pin to bypass the standard.

Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
I don't mind buying one of those if that's what it needs, but that does look just like the VW one that was supplied with the car to my untrained eye. Where's the difference?
I can confirm it won't work (just tried it). Probably because there is a resistor to ground on the PP pin built into the cable so you need to find an extension, not a standard T2-T2.

Registered
The shrouding on the pins is longer on one end than the other on a regular type 2 cable. As has been said, the pins won't make contact.
Also, there's a resistor in the cable that will help a charge point to determine the current rating of the cable, when used with a socketed charge point, so that the charge point will only offer a current rating to the vehicle that is safe for the cable so that it doesn't overheat if it's a thinner cable.
It's designed like this for safety, and although you could buy extension cables, which are on sale, they're prohibited by all the electrical standards relating to the Type 2 outlets and inlets.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shrouding on the pins is longer on one end than the other on a regular type 2 cable. As has been said, the pins won't make contact.
Also, there's a resistor in the cable that will help a charge point to determine the current rating of the cable, when used with a socketed charge point, so that the charge point will only offer a current rating to the vehicle that is safe for the cable so that it doesn't overheat if it's a thinner cable.
It's designed like this for safety, and although you could buy extension cables, which are on sale, they're prohibited by all the electrical standards relating to the Type 2 outlets and inlets.
Thanks for that. So neither of my solutions are workable then and I'll need to look at replacing the 5m lead on the Wallbox with a 7m one?

Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV

Registered
Type 2 connectors have been designed to prevent daisy chaining, by recessing the pilot pin to a free plug does not mate properly with a free socket. This is a very deliberately safety precaution. Apart from anything else, Type 2 connectors are not sealed in any way, and if left on the ground coupled together water can very easily get in. They are designed to drain any water out that gets inside via the underside of the connector, so have to be oriented correctly to achieve their splashproof rating.

You can bodge a Type 2 to make it daisy chain by machining a bit off the end, to make the pins mate sort of OK. It's a really nasty bodge, that should really be outlawed, yet there are some real monkeys selling extension leads like this. My advice would be to never, ever contemplate using one of these bodge leads. The connectors they use are not in any way shape or form approved or safety certified, do not comply with IEC 62196, are not designed to be connected in this way and will almost certainly not meet their original IP rating.

Best solution is to spend the same amount of money on a new, longer, tethered cable. You can get cables up to 15m long, and that would be a solution that is as safe as the charge point is at the moment. It's very easy to swap the cable over, I gave a check list as to what needs to be done in another thread yesterday.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks perfect, and 拢60 cheaper than the one I found. Thanks.

Registered
That looks perfect, and 拢60 cheaper than the one I found. Thanks.

This is yet another bodge cable, and they are lying about the approval. They've taken an approved fixed vehicle plug, (not a free plug) bodged it to add a shroud on the back, and assumed that it still has the same IP rating, even though in the vehicle it must have a drain port at the base in order to comply. It's deceptive advertising, as this thing is never going to comply with the approval spec when used lying on the ground as an extension lead. It won't even have the required degree of mechanical protection, because under the flimsy rubber shroud will be single insulated conductors. I know, as I have exactly the same fixed plug on my EVSE test box.

Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
This is yet another bodge cable, and they are lying about the approval. They've taken an approved fixed vehicle plug, (not a free plug) bodged it to add a shroud on the back, and assumed that it still has the same IP rating, even though in the vehicle it must have a drain port at the base in order to comply. It's deceptive advertising, as this thing is never going to comply with the approval spec when used lying on the ground as an extension lead. It won't even have the required degree of mechanical protection, because under the flimsy rubber shroud will be single insulated conductors. I know, as I have exactly the same fixed plug on my EVSE test box.
Yes, it does look like a bodge but the connector could be fitted into an IP65/66 box, as I did when I made a granny lead extension.
The best option is, as has been said, to replace the fixed cable but only if the OP is comfortable doing it and accepts that the charger warranty will be voided.

Registered
Yes, it does look like a bodge but the connector could be fitted into an IP65/66 box, as I did when I made a granny lead extension.
The best option is, as has been said, to replace the fixed cable but only if the OP is comfortable doing it and accepts that the charger warranty will be voided.

Yes, fitting it in a box, and connecting the drain pipe from the lower drain on that connector to the outside, would be fine, as long as the box was always oriented with the drain pointing downwards. There are three possible drain connections IIRC, to allow for different orientation. I have one fitted to an IP65 box, but only for use as part of my EVSE test box, and I'd never leave it outside in the rain, as I didn't bother to connect the drain pipe up:

Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
Yes, fitting it in a box, and connecting the drain pipe from the lower drain on that connector to the outside, would be fine, as long as the box was always oriented with the drain pointing downwards. There are three possible drain connections IIRC, to allow for different orientation. I have one fitted to an IP65 box, but only for use as part of my EVSE test box, and I'd never leave it outside in the rain, as I didn't bother to connect the drain pipe up:

View attachment 147152
I was thinking more about putting the connectors fully into the Dri-box (has a hinged lid) which has good cable seals, rather than fitting the flanged one onto it.

Registered
Sorry, misunderstood. Yes, a Dri-box would be fine. IIRC they are IP55 when they have leads coming out through the seals, so should be more than adequate. I still think that daisy chaining is a bodge, though, and the connector is being used in a way that is outwith it's approval, so stating that it has TUV approval, complies with IEC62196, etc is just untrue for this use case.

Far better to do the job properly and just swap the lead over for a longer one. Nothing in it as far as cost goes, and it would give a safer and very much neater solution. I have a 10m cable on one of our charge points and it's extremely useful, as it's long enough to reach around my car and charge another one parked in front of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts