Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leicestershire County Council (LCC) have been good enough to install charging points at the Enderby Park & Ride site, which is near where I work. This is great news (for me) as I'd been wondering how I'll do my 60-mile round trip in a Mk1 Leaf in winter. There's just one problem - I don't want to do the "ride" part...

As the parking is only free for service users, I contacted LCC to enquire how I could pay to park and obtain a valid ticket needed to activate the exit barriers on the site. The initial response was quite brief and stated "Unfortunately this will not be possible as parking is for Park & Ride users only." So I enquired that if I used the bus and got off at the first stop, would this be acceptable. No - the first stop is for boarding only! It is against the terms and conditions of the service to purchase a ticket with a means of only using the car park and LCC will not permit people to do so.

This seems slightly ridiculous to me as not only do LCC not want additional income but I may end up using my ICE to do the commute in winter and will continue to park at work for free...

I was wondering if anyone here has some thoughts on this, or any suggestions as to how I can encourage LCC to update their terms and conditions of this service.

Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
if I used the bus and got off at the first stop, would this be acceptable. No - the first stop is for boarding only! It is against the terms and conditions of the service to purchase a ticket with a means of only using the car park and LCC will not permit people to do so.
The LCC's rules are interesting, but if the bus driver let's you off at the first stop, that's what really counts... ;)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Cambridge just introduced a £1 fee per day for parking on top of the bus ticket cost as they said too many people were just parking and riding on their bikes.

Seems like a stealth way to increase the price however in your case it may work

Ask them to look at the cambridge scheme, it will get them more revenue and provide a solution for you

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do we know how many points they are installing . This is the bit I have never understood about charging stations at these type of sites ,i.e where most people will park all day . Unless they are going to install a large number of points at each car park how will it ever work . Maybe I'm missing something .
Nigel

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Probably because they're council owned and usually with good access to the road network.... In Durham I visited one where the rapid charger was nowhere near the regular car park, but with two dedicated spaces. They ALSO had "fast" charging in the regular parking bays. That seemed a totally on the money solution

·
Registered
137 Posts
the rapid charger was nowhere near the regular car park, but with two dedicated spaces. They ALSO had "fast" charging in the regular parking bays. That seemed a totally on the money solution
The Ecotricity rapid DC charger at Oxford Peartree Park & Ride has dedicated high-visibility spaces in the service area AND they're quite separate, well away from the long-stay parking area. Same excellent solution.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
At peartree the RC is in the parking for the motorway services - clearly marked as you say, but part of the service area parking

·
Registered
137 Posts
At peartree the RC is in the parking for the motorway services - clearly marked as you say, but part of the service area parking
OTOH, there are SIX fast EV chargers installed in the Great Malvern long-stay car park and the ground is painted a very bright green and large signs say parking is only allowed if EV charging. That arrangement also works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
.... In Durham I visited one where the rapid charger was nowhere near the regular car park, but with two dedicated spaces. They ALSO had "fast" charging in the regular parking bays. That seemed a totally on the money solution
Durham now charge a £5 fee for that Rapid at Belmont Park and Ride (their only rapid in their county) along with a £1 per post visit. However I think now that their rapid will become redundant as just prior to it are the Ecotricity Washington services rapid and just after the Ecotricity Durham services rapid.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Ballygawley(NI) has a Park 'n Ride facility between the roundabouts that direct traffic for Belfast or Dublin..there are barriers at the entrances,but seem to be permanently open during business hours..There's a 2 port charge unit in the overspill carpark with no restrictions as to who can or can't make use of it..assuming you have an ECarNI RFID card..I visited it recently checking out chargers in the area I hadn't yet visited..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts